PDA

View Full Version : BNT imitations?

mvp
Mar. 7, 2012, 08:37 PM
I have some of these and they really, really help.

For example, I go Tall German Olympic Guy when I'm riding with my dressage trainer. I just do my imitation of one of their still photographs and I get tall, centered and straight.

Last night, I was taking a lesson from my hunter trainer on her opinionated mare who didn't think she should have to answer your leg with anything but a buck or ears back. I offered her "some Rob Bielefeld."

That meant a minimalist, tactful ride and "Mare, why are you angry? I'm not angry. No one else is angry. You are the only 'person' in this whole ring who is angry."

I have others that give me distinct rides to imitate. It totally works to change things up for an instructor so that they can see differences in my riding to correct.

Do you have some?

NOMIOMI1
Mar. 7, 2012, 08:55 PM
Yes... The Anky Spanky (self explanitory), the Edward Gal(where I put draw reins on), and the Gmo (George Morris)..

What? What's the Morris? Oh, I just ride perfect for my entire ride :lol::lol::lol:

Okay totally kidding!

Visually I picture more along the lines of my horse being someone famous... Last week I swear she walked in that arena like Angelina Jolie:lol::winkgrin:

jen-s
Mar. 7, 2012, 09:23 PM
Visually I picture more along the lines of my horse being someone famous... Last week I swear she walked in that arena like Angelina Jolie:lol::winkgrin:

You totally need to make ^^^that your signature line!! Best mental image EVER!

My imitation is Phillip Dutton Legs. That man can ride all kinds of crazy stuff XC and his leg Never. Moves. I covet his legs...

outside__line
Mar. 7, 2012, 09:27 PM
no one in particular, but yes, I imagine a "Strong German Man" when I need to sit up and really ride. (I think this is probably similar to Tall German Olympic Guy)

So, if you see someone in the warm up ring at a show muttering "strong German man, strong German man".... that would be me: trying desperately to be taller and sit up straighter and canter around the course with conviction. :lol:

stolen virtue
Mar. 7, 2012, 09:28 PM

Did she stick out her right leg and pose for the camera ? That is a funny image !

Void
Mar. 7, 2012, 10:59 PM
One horse at my barn I used to give the "John French" Ride on the flat. :)

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 7, 2012, 11:18 PM
I don't have any imitations, but I swear there's a trainer voice inside my head! It's quite odd, actually.. but it's almost like my subconscious tells me what I should be doing and when I should be doing it.
I really hope it turns into George Morris's voice after I clinic with him in November. Honestly, how cool would it be to have a George Morris inside your head? :lol:

rockfordbuckeye
Mar. 8, 2012, 06:30 AM
So I had to you tube Rob Bielefeld to see the ride. Nice! I don't think he would be a bad one to imitate on any greenie or moody mare.

RockinHorse
Mar. 8, 2012, 06:42 AM
I imitated Richard Spooner over a jump last week but it was by accident :eek::eek: !

DarkStarrx
Mar. 8, 2012, 06:59 AM
I imitated Richard Spooner over a jump last week but it was by accident :eek::eek: !

Okay, that made me Lol for real.

mvp
Mar. 8, 2012, 01:00 PM
One horse at my barn I used to give the "John French" Ride on the flat. :)

What does that look like?

I have a John French over fences gear.

It's "big loop in the reins, a lope of a canter, and *everything* from my eye and shoulder." I purposely "do nothing" as best I can. I see/feel where I am and just tip my upper body a tad forward to get the "move up" to that spot. Or I sit up and wait for the softer or deeper one. But the rule is that there is no hand or leg involved.

RockinHorse
Mar. 8, 2012, 01:04 PM

Okay, that made me Lol for real.

Unfortunately I was going for more of a Louise Serio type imitation :D

Renn/aissance
Mar. 8, 2012, 02:22 PM
Every time I see a horse which is being rude about going forward off the leg, I hear George Morris: "Lay a stick on 'im!"

I once did a Sinead Halpin with my trailer :lol: wish I could do the Sinead Halpin over fences!

mvp
Mar. 8, 2012, 07:06 PM
I haven't ridden with all of these BNTs you guys mention.

So can you post pics or videos of some classic examples of your greats?

Void
Mar. 8, 2012, 07:16 PM
What does that look like?

I have a John French over fences gear.

It's "big loop in the reins, a lope of a canter, and *everything* from my eye and shoulder." I purposely "do nothing" as best I can. I see/feel where I am and just tip my upper body a tad forward to get the "move up" to that spot. Or I sit up and wait for the softer or deeper one. But the rule is that there is no hand or leg involved.

Its pretty much the same on the flat, soft, big loop, move nothing but the eyes.

hntrjmprpro45
Mar. 8, 2012, 07:46 PM
I channel my inner 'Ludger' (Beerbaum) when riding my young horses. He's patient and effective and makes some great sound effects- kind of a rumbly, purring, Germanic guttural noise which seems to quiet the youngsters and focus their attention.

I have always adored the way Beezie rides and typically hold her as the "ideal" in my brain. Her style would look beautiful in any ring- hunters, jumpers or eq.

I also channel my inner 'Meredith' (Michaels-Beerbaum) when shopping and choosing outfits. I love her brown boots! :)

Tapperjockey
Mar. 8, 2012, 09:10 PM

Is she preggo with triplets or something? lol. I swear I haven't seen AJ in a photo for like years not pregnant lol. She does have cute kiddos though lol.

NOMIOMI1
Mar. 8, 2012, 09:47 PM
You totally need to make ^^^that your signature line!! Best mental image EVER!

My imitation is Phillip Dutton Legs. That man can ride all kinds of crazy stuff XC and his leg Never. Moves. I covet his legs...

Did she stick out her right leg and pose for the camera ? That is a funny image !

Is she preggo with triplets or something? lol. I swear I haven't seen AJ in a photo for like years not pregnant lol. She does have cute kiddos though lol.

LOL She was prego last year!

But funny enough she does that hip sway thing and its even more than usual right now with her getting fit lol...

Sexy.... But fakes the hell outa action scenes real well too!

Across Sicily
Mar. 9, 2012, 01:42 AM
If I'm petrified and thinking "well gee I'll just take the easy route, you know, no use going too fast or making the turns too crazy" before a Speed round or a jumpoff, I channel Eric Lamaze and go for it, baby. And it works. It's like borrowing Eric's confidence and ability (well, I suppose that's questionable, but the confidence for sure) for 39 seconds. Thanks, Eric!

Interestingly my trainer shouted "IF IAN MILLAR WERE RIDING THIS HORSE WOULD HE BE GETTING AWAY WITH THAT?!" at me one day when I was doing my best impression of a fetus on horseback and that started this whole thing. It's been shockingly useful!

Running Fox Farm
Mar. 9, 2012, 02:03 AM
The "GM voice in the head " thing does exist. Every time I do something totally brainless, I hear his voice in my head shouting" Are you a dumb bell?" :) :)