PDA

View Full Version : TALL muck boot options?

KarenC
Mar. 7, 2012, 05:06 PM
I currently have the Bog High boots. This warm winter/early spring has resulted in very deep mud and I am getting dangerously close to going in deeper than my boots! Since my dear Bogs have finally developed a hole (after 3 years!) I am ready for a new pair and am looking for something as tall as possible.

What are the tallest of the tall muck boots? Note I have large calves so that is a consideration. Willing to pay for a pair of high quality boots. I thought Bogs made a riding version that was taller but I can't find them anywhere.

giantpony
Mar. 7, 2012, 06:36 PM
I have the Brit Colt muck boots and they are almost as tall as tall riding boots. (About an inch or so too short, but close) They are have very stretchy tops, they easily fit over my 18" calves with my boot cut jeans tucked in and would probably stretch quite a bit more if needed.

I trail ride in mine and they are fabulous for walking through deep mud, no way would our deep clay sucking mud ever pull those off my feet!

My only complaint so far is they don't have lots of tread, which is great for riding, but sucks a bit on ice. Here in Ottawa we've had quite a bit of ice this winter, so it was noticeable, but they are not as bad on ice as some other boots.

http://www.muckbootsonline.com/Brit_Colt_Equine_Riding_Boots_p/bct000a.htm

Best of luck :)
GP

Blume Farm
Mar. 7, 2012, 07:43 PM
I have these:

http://www.muckbootsandshoes.com/boots-farm-ranch-muckmaster-commercial-grade-waterproof-muck-boot-p-43.html

they are the tallest of MUCK brand boots. The come up over my calves, and I have wide calves as well....they are stretchy. I had Bogs before and thought they were cute, but they cracked in 1 year!!! I find the MUCK brand more comfortable and are holding up better. I bought them at TSC on sale.

cutter99
Mar. 7, 2012, 07:52 PM
I have the Muck Master that is in bluehof's link. I use them in the snow and deep mud. If it's not too deep, I turn the tops back down toward the ankle and they are cooler then. Muck brand boots are the most comforatable and durable muck boots I've ever had.

horsepoor
Mar. 7, 2012, 11:33 PM
I got the Bogs Rider boots here: Bogs Rider Boots (http://www.winterfootwear.com/p2939c143b141-bogs_rider_womens_rubber_boots.html). Looks like sizes are pretty limited now, but the price is good. They are taller than my other "tall" Bogs and I like the heel/sole as it seems to have better traction in the muck. Only thing I'm not sure of would be how they fit large calves, as mine are not, but they are also neoprene at the top and that might give some more stretch. Having them be snug would help keep the boot from getting sucked off in the mud!

Slewdledo
Mar. 8, 2012, 12:35 AM
I have these in the 15" version: http://muckbootsonline.com/Tack_Classic_Equine_Boots_p/tckcls.htm

3 years and it's finally time to start looking for another pair. And we have MUD in the winter, snow very often. I am hard on my boots so for these to last this long means they're good. (Of course, for the price, they'd better be! 3 years ago they were $85!)

Your feet may sweat in these, though. Mine did I wasn't used to it, so I thought they were leaking.

easyrider
Mar. 8, 2012, 01:15 AM
Love my Hoser Muck Boots.

KarenC
Mar. 8, 2012, 08:21 AM
Unfortunately, I think the Muck Muster is not going to be tall enough - same height as my current bogs. There is one style of the Bog Rider boots in my size - but reading the description, I think they might be too warm for spring wear. Looks like the Colt Riders might be my best bet.

I did see a pair of Lacross AlphaFilly boots on Cabela's site - man are those suckers cute. Any experience with that brand? I cant find any info about the width of the shaft...
http://www.cabelas.com/womens-work-western-casual-boots-lacrosse-womens-alphafilly-16-boots.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=shopping&WT.z_mc_id1=1217804&rid=40&mr:referralID=6dc31a49-6921-11e1-ac63-001b2166c2c0

oldpony66
Mar. 8, 2012, 04:39 PM
Goodness, Muck Musters aren't tall enough? How deep is your mud :eek: ??

My muck boots won't be tall enough either, but I'm reading these posts about muck boots only lasting 1-3 years and ... wow. Mine get worn a lot and I've had the same pair for at least 8 years? I think actually 10 years. Maybe my mud isn't deep enough to ruin them. They're just green boots from Northerner.

http://www.muckbootsonline.com/Northerner_Boots_s/80.htm

Mine are like the $31 pair on that page ^ but hey I see they have an "irrigation hip boot", would that be tall enough :lol:

KarenC
Mar. 8, 2012, 04:44 PM
oldpony, I know...I have joked that I'm going to need hip waders. The mud really is that deep - not all over, but in spots...and I have actually walked right out of my boots before...and fallen down it in. (No, I am not the most graceful or athletic person in the world...)

Nezzy
Mar. 8, 2012, 05:22 PM
i have the original MUCK boots. i have the chore, which is very good tread and it goes up to my knee. Not sure how high that is i am 5'3" and my Muck boots stretch so i can tuck my jeans inside if need be. Love them. i have had them for approx. 11 yrs. they are also great and WARM in SNOW.

KarenC
Mar. 12, 2012, 02:07 PM
I ended up ordering the LaCrosse Alphafilly boots that I linked to in post 8 - muck boots online had them with free shipping (including free return shipping) so it was worth a shot. They just came today and I have to say I am impressed - they are lovely, they fit my big calves but have enough of a profile that I could actually wear them riding (and enough of a profile that they likely won't get sucked off in the mud), and they seem really comfortable. And come up to just below my knee, which was the height I was looking for. And they are purple (that's the best part).

Have no idea how they will hold up long term...but my initial impressions are really good for a brand I have never heard of.

*Southwinds*
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:18 AM
Hunter Wellies! They go right up to your knee cap basically. Love mine, wear them everyday and because they are slightly fitted they tend to not get sucked off in the mud.

Xanthoria
Mar. 13, 2012, 08:17 PM
Hunter Wellies! They go right up to your knee cap basically. Love mine, wear them everyday and because they are slightly fitted they tend to not get sucked off in the mud.

Ditto! And they last forever.

Sunnyhorse
Mar. 17, 2012, 12:43 PM
I have the Bogs Rider model. I do have a muscular calf, but they work just fine. My only complaint is the sweatiness that the neoprene produces-- in the summer they can get quite, uh, fragrant. (Now I know how my horses feel in their Eskadrons ...) I like the height because I have yet to find mud deep enough to get into them/pull them off, and I never get shavings in my boots while cleaning and bedding stalls. I've had these for three winters now -- they look great on the outside, but I think there's a spot wearing through the interior just above the heel. That said, they're going to last me quite a while longer. I may go with Hunters next time just because they're a little more "run into town" friendly, although they're nowhere near as warm in cold weather as these guys are.

anchodavis
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:06 AM
I have hunter wellies (now 7 years old) for warmer weather mud, and I use DuBarry Galway boots for winter. Neither are especially cheap, particularly the dubarrys, but they are made to last. I went through a series of less expensive boots, including the muck boots, before I finally realized I was going to have to pay for quality!! The wellies are rock solid, and 7 years old now, the dubarries are about five years old and completely waterproof and mudproof, not to mention very warm in winter and fantastically comfortable. They now make an "extrafit" version for larger calves. My calves are not tiny but my regular fit ones do just fine on me, even over jeans. They are also comfortable in hot weather and work well for riding. A friend just found a new pair on sale on ebay for about half the price, so it's worth keeping an eye out if the price tag makes you squeamish (as it should!! ;). I hesitated for years before I finally bought mine and they have been more than worth it.