PDA

View Full Version : Tredstep Donatello, Davinci, and now... Raphael?

trekgrl
Mar. 7, 2012, 05:06 PM
The Raphael (http://www.tredstep.com/prod_boots_raph.html) is the newest boot. Besides for the very creepy ad that they are running with the glaring eyes- anyone see these in person? I know LaMundial makes a similar boots sans laces, but are still considered a Field Boot. Thought about getting the DaVincis, but at the same price point I might be swayed.

Vetvivi
Mar. 7, 2012, 05:44 PM
I haven't seen them in person, but I am dying for a review on them! They look lovely, and I think mama needs some new boots :D

shadytrake
Mar. 7, 2012, 05:58 PM
These look like a nicer version of the Donatellos with the elastic in the back. I'm liking these! They have the same sizing as the Donatellos too so I might be persuaded to upgrade after I wear out my Donatellos.

kashmere
Mar. 7, 2012, 07:06 PM
If Michelangelo is next, I'm getting a pair and dressing up like a Ninja Turtle.

cadance
Mar. 7, 2012, 07:10 PM
If Michelangelo is next, I'm getting a pair and dressing up like a Ninja Turtle.

Wonder what the Shredder boot will look like! hahaha

kashmere
Mar. 7, 2012, 08:25 PM
Wonder what the Shredder boot will look like! hahaha

:lol: What does it say about me that when I see "Donatello, Raphael and (Leonardo) Da Vinci" together, my first thought is ninja turtles, and my second is great artists?

billiebob
Mar. 7, 2012, 09:09 PM
:lol: What does it say about me that when I see "Donatello, Raphael and (Leonardo) Da Vinci" together, my first thought is ninja turtles, and my second is great artists?

That was my first thought, too! :lol:

It says we have fantastic taste in 80s cartoons :D

kashmere
Mar. 7, 2012, 09:14 PM
That was my first thought, too! :lol:

It says we have fantastic taste in 80s cartoons :D

Well, that's what I thought :)

karlymacrae
Mar. 7, 2012, 09:17 PM
ooh me likey! I'd love to see them in person.

SarahandSam
Mar. 7, 2012, 10:15 PM
Add me to the list that first thought TMNT. And I taught art.

ChagrinSaddlery
Mar. 7, 2012, 10:57 PM
I have seen the Raphael in person and it is an incredible boot! We met Aiden (CEO of Tredstep) when we attended the American Equestrian Trade Association trade show in January. We asked him why the Italian names given that his company is Irish. His response was that the names are all of artists...He considers his work (boots, etc) an art. A bit of mindless trivia for ya. Grab those boots as soon as you find them. I already placed my order and will sell out as soon as they arrive. Great company but the demand at times is greater then the inventory (which I have told they are working on.)

dropitlikeitshot
Mar. 8, 2012, 08:50 AM
I love the look of these boots and really want to get a pair =)

pattnic
Mar. 8, 2012, 10:18 AM
Just dropping in to say that my first thought was also Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. :lol:

They all look like lovely boots - when it comes time to replace mine, I will definitely be looking into them!

DarkStarrx
Mar. 8, 2012, 10:39 AM
Oh god, I love love love love my Donatellos. I like the Raphaels a lot, anyone know how they compare to the Davincis?

Gil's Girl
Mar. 26, 2012, 06:25 PM
Is there anyone out there that can outline the differences for me between the Da Vinci and the Raphaels? Fit/appearance/features, etc? Anyone seen them side by side or tried both?

It looks like Donatellos don't come in tall, so they're out:(

Thanks!

Renn/aissance
Mar. 26, 2012, 07:19 PM

It says we both had a childhood. :cool: Raph was always my favorite!

I'm bummed that, if the DaVincis are anything to go by, these won't be a good fit for me. They look lovely.

Peggy
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:43 PM
^^^Renn-it may be worth a try. The Donatellos didn't fit me like the Da Vincis.

I tried two different calf sizes of the Da Vincis and neither worked. They were oddly bulgy over the calf. Going down would have meant not being able to get them over my ankles. Sent both back to SmartPak (actually they're in my car waiting to go to the UPS store). IMHO, they fit kind of like the Grand Prixs (or is that Grands Prix)?

So I went off to my semi-local tack store and tried the only Mountain Horse boot they had in a field boot (Venice) and didn't love those--calf not close enough fitting; foot not too comfortable (realize that may well be fixed by going upwards in price).

So I tried the Donatellos and those fit nicely in the calf. They're not available in a tall and they drop much at all they may not be tall enough, but I'm getting a good price (about-to-become old price* plus if I pick it up at their annual sale I get it at the sale price). I figure I can always use them at home in lieu of paddocks and half chaps. This makes me wonder if part of the calf issue with the Da Vincis was that they were taller and the bulgy part of the calf was located in a different place. Or maybe they just fit different.

It may have been a HUGE mistake to pull my ancient Vogels out of the closet a few weeks ago as I have been reminded how nicely custom boots fit.

*According to the people at the tack store, the price is going up by about $50 soon. Very soon.

Renn/aissance
Mar. 27, 2012, 12:31 AM
I've got big ol' ankles that wouldn't fit in the boot. In any case, ended up picking up Treadstones which do work for me; but that's useful information, that the lines fit differently.

RolyPolyPony
Apr. 27, 2012, 09:40 AM
So....does anyone actually have these yet? I have no need for them as I love my MH boots, but they've always been a little short, and I have a birthday in two weeks, so.....!

Roisin
Apr. 27, 2012, 01:45 PM
So....does anyone actually have these yet? I have no need for them as I love my MH boots, but they've always been a little short, and I have a birthday in two weeks, so.....!

I can't speak to the Raphael's, but I just bought the Da Vincis and love them for the price. A very pretty boot. Not as pretty a finish on them as the Ariat Monacos...but for under $500 I'm OK with that!

RolyPolyPony
Apr. 27, 2012, 03:23 PM
I've been resisting the temptation of the Da Vincis for awhile :) I'm not sure what it is about the Raphael - they call to me!

MaddJumper88
Apr. 30, 2012, 01:20 AM
I am between the Grand Prix elites and the Da Vincis- tried both on today-anyone have suggestions? I felt that the foot bed in the Da Vinci's was too wide and I had a lot of wiggle room, but other wise the reg/talls fit me like a glove. The foot bed in the Grand Prix's was a lot narrower and much more comfy- but they didn't have my exact height/length at the tack store- I am considering ordering the Elites in my size. Anyone have any experience with either?
Thanks

lesyl
Apr. 30, 2012, 01:40 AM
I'll be right there with you.

TB7
Apr. 30, 2012, 03:50 PM
I too, thought of Ninja turtles. But Donatello was always my favorite - probably because I was more of a bookworm and he was purple. I found Raphy to be emo/mean.

I got my Donatellos (it was meant to be since he was my favorite turtle) last week and they're pretty nice. The sizing was a tiny bit odd - I'm normally a 7-7 1/2 but 7 1/2s (38) was too large for my footbed, so I got the 6 1/2 - 7 (37). It's a little narrow in the footbed and close - but my feet aren't growing anymore...unless I take up yoga.

Breaking in is probably a lot better than say, Ariats (now there is some stiff leather - for the Heritages and Challenges). I've never really had break in issues with field boots before since the last time I got field boots was about 6-7 years ago and the boots were only around $100 and fit like customs and took no break in time at all - they were like heaven straight out of the box...and no, I don't recall the brand.

Anyways, Donatellos do stretch a little and seem to be breaking in quickly. I did get small blisters on the inside edge of my Achilles tendons - I think, because of the zipper, the leather around the back of the ankle does cut into your foot a bit and will until they drop more. I learned that one of my calves is bigger than the other as one calf fits perfectly and the other is very snug. Guess I'll be riding to the left more often to even them out!

The way they do the front is very nice since you'll have no issues flexing your heels down - front of the ankle is very comfortable!

I am hoping these drop an inch so they'll look normal and the backs of my knees will get a break!

So to sum up: Nice leather, especially for the price! (Compare to Ariat Heritages which are in the same price range and there's a HUGE difference in quality and suppleness.) A little sad they come with elastic fake laces, but they're purely for show anyhow. You could, theoretically, just buy real laces and lace them up. They also come with heel shims and extra elastic laces and those blow up boot trees.

Only discomforts are: blistering on ankles, a little snug on one calf, and digs into the back of my knees until they drop.

They clean up nicely too - I just wiped them down with the Lexol wipes and they look show ring shiny.

I'm very satisfied with them so far.:yes:

The prices for them went up $50 online, but since I went to the SmartPak store and they hadn't changed the pricing yet, I got the old pricing on my order, plus I was able to use my 20% off coupon for them since I happened to go when they had their sale.