PDA

View Full Version : Jean breeches?

Sunnyhorse
Mar. 7, 2012, 02:43 PM
I love the look of "jean breeches," but I've sworn off denim in hopes of preserving the seat of my calfskin saddle. Does anyone here wear denim breeches to ride in a "hothouse flower" saddle? Which brands are softest/safest to wear?

GingerJumper
Mar. 7, 2012, 02:55 PM
I've been rocking the Rohmf (or however you spell that) jean breeches for a few weeks and love them. Haven't scratched my saddle a bit. The Kerrits ones look pretty easy on saddles too.

TB7
Mar. 7, 2012, 03:11 PM
Ariat began making them years ago! I have 2 pair from Ariat that are something like 4 years old. Barely even look worn!

The Ariats don't have the studs and won't scratch the saddle. They had a pair that were bootcut and a pair that were straight leg/fitted with elastic around the bottom of the calf so you can fit knee socks and tall boots over them. But then again, you're also going to deal with crazy Ariat sizing (which is fine if you realize what your Ariat size is - normally 2-4 sizes smaller than everyone else).

The material is very stretchy, it's probably akin to jegging material, but I'd think the breeches are thicker (I abhor jeggings so I have no idea how thin they are). They're definitely still denim, but have a lot of elasticity in them and are much softer.

I don't know if Ariat still makes them, but I would assume so. Online tack stores may not carry them, but if you go to a local tack shop who carries Ariat, they'll have a product catalog to go through. That's how I got mine ordered.

Sunnyhorse
Mar. 7, 2012, 03:30 PM
I'm more worried about the crotch seaming of a pair of true denim pants wearing through the seat of the saddle than anything else. The Romfh breeches, which have a fairly low cotton content, look like a good bet for that reason. (I checked out the Ariat website, TB7, but I don't see any denim breeches there.)

Wholehearted
Mar. 7, 2012, 05:02 PM
I have a couple pairs of the Goode Rider ones and love them. I do notice that one pair leaves very light marks from the back pockets, but I can sweep them away with my hand. I just love how comfortable they are and how I look slightly less ridiculous running errands afterwards (well, maybe not, but I can pretend!)

Trevelyan96
Mar. 7, 2012, 05:47 PM
I just bit the bullet and bought a pair of the goode rider ones. There is so much stretch in the fabric that they really are much softer than regular jeans, so probably not as much of a worry for your saddle as a regular pair of jeans would be.

I love mine! They're super comfortable, go with everything, (I'm sort of OCD about color matching) and don't look as awful as solid breeches do after grooming a dirty horse or doing some barn chores in them. And they can also double as skinny jeans with a pair of ballet shoes after leaving the barn.

2DogsFarm
Mar. 7, 2012, 05:58 PM
I've ridden in denim breeches for years. Had them in several colors - black & hunter as well as blue denim.
My current pair is over 10yo.
Hac-Tacs used to be the only ones who made them, but now I see everyone has jumped on the wagon.

Unless they have studs on the back pockets I can't see how they could mark a saddle.

Mine do not have inner-leg seams.
What riding jean would? Ouch :no:

Like Trevelyan, I wear mine when I'm not riding - knee patches and all.

Lucassb
Mar. 7, 2012, 06:15 PM
Santio denim breeches... I believe Beval sells them. Pricey but beautiful, and won't damage your saddle.

Opus1
Mar. 7, 2012, 06:50 PM
I have a pair of Equine Couture jean breeches and they've been great. They're super stretchy and have front zip, front pockets and back pockets. No rubbing on the saddle at all, from what I can tell. No studs and nothing sticking out to scratch leather.

I got mine for around $80 or so. Two things though: I probably wouldn't wear them in the dead of summer (depending on where you are) since they can be a little warm, and they do have seams on the inside that are thicker than normal breeches. I don't notice them at all when I'm riding or walking around. But when I pull them off, there's little indentations here and there in my skin.

SarahandSam
Mar. 7, 2012, 06:53 PM
I have a pair of Royal Highness (I think) jean breeches that I got on sale for $15. They're quite stretchy and soft, and I can't think there would be anything on them that would scratch up a saddle.

Canaqua
Mar. 7, 2012, 06:56 PM
I have some Goode Rider jeans breeches, both full seat and knee patch versions and neither have scratched up the calfskin seat on a Devoucoux. The fabric is quite soft and the seams are minimal...it's not like riding in Levis.

ahorwith
Mar. 8, 2012, 12:16 AM
I just bought a pair of Goode Riders and I love them... no scratching on my Antares or Custom saddles, both soft calfskin.

alibi_18
Mar. 8, 2012, 06:22 AM
I love my Pikeur full seat jeans breeches!

And those, and any othe jeans breeches, are not regular jeans but breeches made for riding so I highly doubt that for $$$ they would make breeches that would scratch saddles!

Real jeans? Never on my Hennig or Delgrange!

skittlespony
Mar. 8, 2012, 08:34 AM
i always worry about whatever I wear ruining the calfskin seat of my saddle too. In my old saddle I used to wear skinny jeans all the time, it would destroy the leather and the jeans would begin to wear near the crotch. Well recently I started wearing jeggings, they aren't true denim so they don't destroy your saddle, and the stretch so you don't have to worry about stiffness when you ride. They are just great, and they are cheaper than buying actual jean breeches. :)

Sunnyhorse
Mar. 8, 2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks, all! *Heads off to go shopping* :)

PRS
Mar. 8, 2012, 01:39 PM
I have a pair of these: http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Kerrits-Denim-Bootcut-Kneepatch-Breech-P1090.aspx
They aren't really denim but they look like denim but ar stretchy and comfortable. They don't have any bulky seams. They are my absolutely most favorite breeches and they won't scratch your tack and they're very affordable.

TrakeGirl
Mar. 8, 2012, 01:55 PM
I couldn't cough up the money for the Goode Rider ones, so I bought these from Ovation:

http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Ovation-Amber-Knee-Patch-Riding-Jean-P1474.aspx

I really like them. Super soft and stretchy and a good price.

Trixie
Mar. 8, 2012, 03:20 PM
Ariat used to make some great ones - unfortunately, they discontinued the good ones. Apparently they lasted too long. :lol:

Personal Champ
Mar. 8, 2012, 03:54 PM
Another vote for the Romfh ones - 5 color options, all "jean" styling.

Perfect10
Mar. 8, 2012, 04:24 PM
I love the goode rider ones. Soft, comfy, stretchy, and I have never worried about my saddle in them. Plus, they make my butt look fantastic! :D

JSjumper
Mar. 8, 2012, 04:30 PM
i always worry about whatever I wear ruining the calfskin seat of my saddle too. In my old saddle I used to wear skinny jeans all the time, it would destroy the leather and the jeans would begin to wear near the crotch. Well recently I started wearing jeggings, they aren't true denim so they don't destroy your saddle, and the stretch so you don't have to worry about stiffness when you ride. They are just great, and they are cheaper than buying actual jean breeches. :)

This is what I do! Suuper stretchy "jeggings"+half chaps... super comfy, somewhat flattering, and not harsh on the saddle (and I'm reallly obsessive about my devoucoux). My favorite so far are the ones from Express... and I got them on sale for like $35 a pair. I love 'em!

skittlespony
Mar. 9, 2012, 09:21 AM
This is what I do! Suuper stretchy "jeggings"+half chaps... super comfy, somewhat flattering, and not harsh on the saddle (and I'm reallly obsessive about my deveoucoux). My favorite so far are the ones from Express... and I got them on sale for like $35 a pair. I love 'em!

Yess! :) It is amazing and wicked comfortable. I like the express ones, and the Pacsun ones. Mostly though the first time I wore them I was worried about my Tad Coffin, but they didn't leave a mark. Finally something that really is flattering that won't shred out fancy saddles. :lol:

Mako
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:15 AM
I'm interested in the Goode Rider jean breeches. Are the sizing the same as other breeches..ie like TS? What is the fit like?

JohnGalt
Mar. 9, 2012, 11:04 AM
It isn't so much the denim, it's the seams. In regular jeans, the seams run up the inside of the legs and across the crotch. I don't have denim breeches but I assume that since they're breeches, they don't suffer from this flaw.

Go Fish
Mar. 9, 2012, 11:50 AM
It isn't so much the denim, it's the seams. In regular jeans, the seams run up the inside of the legs and across the crotch. I don't have denim breeches but I assume that since they're breeches, they don't suffer from this flaw.

Exactly.

Not trendy, but for years, Wrangler jeans have been made with the flat felt seam on the outside of the jeans, and a plain flat seam on the inside of the jeans. This helps prevent wear and tear on your saddle.

I have a saddle with a French calf leather seat - well over 10 years old - that is just now starting to show a bit of wear across the pommel. This saddle gets fairly consistent use...I probably ride in it 10 times or more a week. I take pretty good care of it. I'm not a fanatic tack cleaner, though.

islndgirl
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:05 PM
I couldn't cough up the money for the Goode Rider ones, so I bought these from Ovation:

http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Ovation-Amber-Knee-Patch-Riding-Jean-P1474.aspx

I really like them. Super soft and stretchy and a good price.

I have these too! Super comfy - stretchy and soft. My saddle has been fine with them. They are the perfect combo of stretch and support. Love them!

Retail_Therapist
Mar. 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
Unfortunately there is no longer any standard in sizing or fit between brands. You really need to try them on to asses the size. Every brand has different styles and fit different body shapes making it just as frustrating as shopping for the perfect pair of jeans.

Retail_Therapist
Mar. 16, 2012, 08:31 PM
FITS makes a denim breech that is very cute and soft with flattering pockets and no inside seams. They retail for $154.00 and fit a number of different body shapes well.

http://fitsriding.com/breech_A607_beka.php