PDA

View Full Version : Instructor in the Urbana/Springfield/Dayton, Ohio Area

Sedona
Mar. 7, 2012, 02:40 PM
I am looking for an instructor to come out once maybe twice a month for lessons on my OTTB. I know some trainers that I used to take lessons from when I was younger, but they aren't Hunter trainers. I would possibly up the lessons after all of the expenses of a new horse start to subside. She has literally needed new everything.

I am just looking for someone to give me a pair of eyes on the ground and a better game plan for my girl's retraining. We are already accomplishing a lot of the basics, but I feel like I'm going to reach a plateau.

The place where I board does contesting. I am not looking to move her as she is less than 10 minutes from my house, and my full care board is dirt cheap even with an indoor arena. Having an instructor come out would be the best option for me.

If anyone knows someone that will travel to the Urbana area, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

bumknees
Mar. 8, 2012, 06:23 AM
Isnt Tidy in that area? If she cant maybe she has an idea.. tle i do believe is also in the area... trying to remember who else..

chaserider
Mar. 8, 2012, 09:37 AM
Sedona,
I just emailed you.
C

SLR
Mar. 8, 2012, 10:49 AM
Well, You are in no man's land for lessons. Sorry. You might try Heather Bauer at Hearthstone Farm in Urbana ( the woodstove people) I don't know if she still teaches. Also you could get in touch with Diedre Koik on Ludlow road. She's a MFH at Miami Valley, and used to have some people come to her farm to help her on occasion. There is a dressage person in Springfield. Christina Russell. Don't know much about her.
Karen Greene is at Hillcroft Cresent south of Springfield.
There are several to stay away from that you could PM about. They embellish their resumes a lot.
If you are actually in Urbana, Columbus might be your best bet. They have a lot of Hunter trainers there.
Keep in mind most good instructors do not travel, as they have enough to do at home.
Tidy Rabbit is probably 45 min to an hour away from Urbana.
Best of Luck.

SLR
Mar. 8, 2012, 10:51 AM
Another thought is Patty Miller in Springfield, on Old Mill Rd. She has a wealth of years with OTTB's. She used to go to a farm in Columbus to teach, and she may still do that.

azdreamride
Mar. 8, 2012, 10:56 AM
off topic, my husband grew up in Urbana! most of his family still lives in the area-- I actually quite like it out there---really pretty land for horses, and not too expensive!

tidy rabbit
Mar. 8, 2012, 12:04 PM
Hi, friend us on Facebook, Stoneybrook Farm Dayton Ohio or send an email to stoneybrookfarmohio@gmail.com and I'll see if I can help you find someone up that way. I have a couple of people who might be willing to travel.

At this time my schedule is so booked with training horses and lessons that I can't travel any where but am happy to take the occasional ship-in lesson.

tle was just here last weekend working as ring crew for a jumping session! :) She may know of someone that I don't up in that area but I do know of one person in particular who might meet your needs. Good luck in your search.

Sedona
Mar. 8, 2012, 12:35 PM
Thank you for the responses!

C: I got your email. I look into them! Thanks!

SLR: You aren't kidding about my location! It was much better when I used to live in Marysville, but even then I seemed to only find a kook! But one of the reasons that I was looking for a monthly lesson is because I know most trainers don't travel. If I find one from the Columbus area, I assume that traveling out my way would just be more convenient if it isn't often. I don't live in Urbana. I live about 15 minutes southwest of Urbana. Have you ever heard of the tiny town, Terre Haute? That's where I am. I'm going to send you a pm.

Tidy: I'll email you. I'd love to haul in, but I don't have a truck and trailer.

SLR
Mar. 8, 2012, 01:06 PM
Ya mean Terra Hut. :) Sorry you're screwed. Actually Christina Russell is off of Rt 41 near Springfield. So may be closer than Urbana. Some people on the dressage board ride with her. I know of a kook in Marysville, too.
Wish Tidy would fess up. Always have people looking for help in the area.
I just don't know who would travel.

bumknees
Mar. 9, 2012, 07:19 AM
Hey it could be worse.. you could be where I am.. Where they believe a horse moving faster than a gimp a long canter with nose dragging on the ground is running away with you and that is the ''best dresssage'' trainer ( use of word very loosely) pov...Of coure she also thinks it is ok to use a kimberwick in dressage...she' just a titch off on the rules...
If I could I would haul down/ up/over to anywhere to get a trainer who was worth half their salt... .. wait let me rephrase that.. If I could get away with it I would go and stuff them into the back seat/trunk of vehicle it and haul them to where I am... ;) ...

chaserider
Mar. 9, 2012, 09:46 AM
Sedona, a couple more thoughts:
you're not that far from New Vocations, are you? Since they deal with OTTBs, maybe they know some instructors in the area to recommend to you.
I would also second the idea of getting in touch with the MFHs in the Miami Valley Hunt. Seems they would know who the good instructors are around there.
Good luck!
C

jn4jenny
Mar. 9, 2012, 01:01 PM
I ran this past my trainer, who's been in the Columbus area all her life. The answer: "Patty Miller for sure. She goes slow and does it correctly. Great choice for a young horse who needs a good base."

findeight
Mar. 9, 2012, 03:03 PM
...I know of a kook in Marysville, too..

Me three. I wonder if we are thinking of the same one? But I am pretty sure that one does not travel either, and that's a good thing.

Sedona
Mar. 9, 2012, 05:38 PM
C: I know the girl that rides for the Marysville NV facility. We spoke a few months ago about a monthly lesson. She has been rather busy and generally doesn't come out my way. I was hoping to look for someone else and not bug her too much! Lol

jn4: I will contact Patty to see if she would be willing to come out. Slow is good for me. We aren't going to be serious about showing until next year. I just want her to get some exposure.

findeight: I wish I would have found this place before I dropped about 2 grand her way for a half lease and shows. If you're dying to know who I'm referring to, we can give stable abbreviations via pm. Hell if we're not talking about the same kook, I'd like to steer clear of another one!

Oddly enough for being a hopeless venture, I do have a few people to contact. Maybe I'll find a match!