PDA

View Full Version : Lowrise Tailored Sportmans...

WARDen
Mar. 7, 2012, 11:52 AM
I cannot stand the feel or look of the lowrise breeches that everyone is wearing. Half the kid's shirt tails are hanging out because of it. I absolutely refuse to allow my students to show in low rise, just doesn't appear as "tidy". Anyone else feel this way?

Roomfor2
Mar. 7, 2012, 11:55 AM
The difference for my daughter (who is now an adult) is that she is short-waisted and the low rise fit her like regular sizes should fit. The regulars come up above her waist, way to high to be comfortable to ride in. I do agree that the tall thin girls you see with the low rise in my opinion does not look professional. Depends on the body fit. Not everyone can wear low rise but not everyone is comfortable with the pants up to their arm pits.

Trixie
Mar. 7, 2012, 11:57 AM
I'm with Roomfor2 - previous incarnations of "regular" waisted breeches are like a second bra on me. Not cute.

BAC
Mar. 7, 2012, 11:59 AM
I feel the same way, I especially hate when they wear low rise with shads and all that shirt is falling out in between, low rise just looks so messy IMO.

Some people wear low rise because they are long waisted naturally, and regular rise has the waist sitting up around their chest, I can understand wearing them under those circumstances.

Being long waisted has never been an especially attractive feature, and these breeches accentuate that look, whereas a regular rise, or more normal waisted appearance helps to give a longer legged look, which is especially attractive on a horse. Long waists make the legs look stumpy. :lol:

Crown Royal
Mar. 7, 2012, 12:02 PM
The difference for my daughter (who is now an adult) is that she is short-waisted and the low rise fit her like regular sizes should fit. The regulars come up above her waist, way to high to be comfortable to ride in. I do agree that the tall thin girls you see with the low rise in my opinion does not look professional. Depends on the body fit. Not everyone can wear low rise but not everyone is comfortable with the pants up to their arm pits.

Agree. I bought a pair of regular traditional rise breeches and they come up past my belly button. I have a short torso. My show shirt literally tucks in around my entire butt. :lol: I bought a pair of low-rise Ariats and they fit around my natural waist. I do not have a pair of TS's but will be purchasing low-rise breeches in the future in whatever brand I order. I don't think it looks untidy, I think it's more comfortable. At least for people with my build.

BAC
Mar. 7, 2012, 12:03 PM
The difference for my daughter (who is now an adult) is that she is short-waisted and the low rise fit her like regular sizes should fit.

Just the opposite, if you're short waisted then low rise would sit too low on the body. When you're short waisted the distance between neck and waist is less than "normal."

Crown Royal
Mar. 7, 2012, 12:05 PM
Just the opposite, if you're short waisted then low rise would sit too low on the body. When you're short waisted the distance between neck and waist is less than "normal."

Not in my case...I am definitely short waisted/short upper body in general and the low rise sits a little higher and more comfortably. The regular waist sits up higher than my natural wait because there's not as much room between my hips and natural waist.

ponymom64
Mar. 7, 2012, 12:11 PM
My DD is very petite and the regular and mid rise look ridiculous on her! I was so happy when the low rise came out, so she could have breeches that looked good ;)

Rel6
Mar. 7, 2012, 12:14 PM
Yea I'm 5'1'' and the 26R low rise are DEFINITELY not low rise on me. I do have a pair of 26S low rise which are pretty low and are just schooling breeches now.

Lucassb
Mar. 7, 2012, 12:16 PM
I cannot stand the feel or look of the lowrise breeches that everyone is wearing. Half the kid's shirt tails are hanging out because of it. I absolutely refuse to allow my students to show in low rise, just doesn't appear as "tidy". Anyone else feel this way?

People come in all shapes and sizes, as noted below. You may want to require a standard that your students present themselves neatly and appropriately, rather than "banning" low rise breeches. There are a lot of people, myself included, who would not take kindly to being dictated to in that fashion.

westie55
Mar. 7, 2012, 12:32 PM
I have regular rise, mid rise, and low rise TS. I have shown in all of them and each looks tidy and appropriate. Everyone's body is different and so banning low rise across the board really makes no sense. Requiring students' shirts to be properly tucked in before entering the show ring? Absolutely. If the pants are so poorly fitting that the shirt comes untucked during the round, then yes, it is appropriate to suggest investing in pants with a better fit. I do agree that low rise often doesn't look right with a shad.

supershorty628
Mar. 7, 2012, 12:36 PM
I have regular rise ones. Can't stand the feeling of low rise! They look terrible with shads, too. It's pretty tough to get the regular rise ones, in my experience (although I have to special order my breeches anyway just to get the right size, so...).

Giddy-up
Mar. 7, 2012, 12:47 PM
Personally I think the show shirts need to have longer tails.

Even with my regular rise breeches my tails are flapping out under my hunt coat. And I think I am built fairly even...no monkey arms or extra long torso here.

I tuck in my shirt, get on horse, re-tuck in shirt (sometimes crank my belt tighter too), warm up, tuck in shirt again, go in show ring & still come out looking like a mess. What gives??? :mad:

I have contemplated cutting my show shirts short so under my show coat you wouldn't see anything flapping about untucked, but I can't really get into the idea of hacking 4-6" off a show shirt I just paid $100 for. ;)

PaintedHunter
Mar. 7, 2012, 01:02 PM
As mentioned by others above...i have a short torso, and regular rise on me is pretty much at my boobs. Some brands' low rises are too short, but most fit me like a regular rise would.

Tivas_a_Diva
Mar. 7, 2012, 01:13 PM
I don't know if I'm long waisted or short hipped or what have you... I personally think the traditional breeches look the best however if I put a pair on, they come up so high they could double as a tube top LOL. Sorry for the visual! I personally fit better in the low rise, but I think one should wear whatever fits their body type the best and looks most professional.

BeeHoney
Mar. 7, 2012, 01:13 PM
Me too, some regular rise breeches look ridiculous on me, they come up SOOO high. The low rise TS breeches fit me in a very normal way. Also, different brands fit differently as well. So, I agree that you ought to consider this on a case by case basis. Now, with a shad I do think it is better to err on the slightly higher waist side.

Show shirts are always a huge PITA IMO. Too tight in the shoulders, always coming untucked. Maybe someone does already make one and someone can point me in the right direction, but we need a slim fitting athletic type show shirt in a moisture wicking fabric that has the right collar and cuffs.

Rel6
Mar. 7, 2012, 01:34 PM
People come in all shapes and sizes, as noted below. You may want to require a standard that your students present themselves neatly and appropriately, rather than "banning" low rise breeches. There are a lot of people, myself included, who would not take kindly to being dictated to in that fashion.

This is exactly what I was thinking read when I read the original post, actually.

comingback
Mar. 7, 2012, 01:46 PM

I agree with you.

But I wish companies would recognize this and offer both options more frequently. As someone who cannot wear low rise, I am disheartened when I see very little regular rise options available...that I would actually want to wear. In a way I feel dictated to by the equine fashion industry :D

eclipse
Mar. 7, 2012, 01:56 PM
Personally I think the show shirts need to have longer tails.

Even with my regular rise breeches my tails are flapping out under my hunt coat. And I think I am built fairly even...no monkey arms or extra long torso here.

I tuck in my shirt, get on horse, re-tuck in shirt (sometimes crank my belt tighter too), warm up, tuck in shirt again, go in show ring & still come out looking like a mess. What gives??? :mad:

I have contemplated cutting my show shirts short so under my show coat you wouldn't see anything flapping about untucked, but I can't really get into the idea of hacking 4-6" off a show shirt I just paid $100 for. ;)

OMG, I have this problem too....and I'm not even tall!

pattnic
Mar. 7, 2012, 02:01 PM

Not in my case...I am definitely short waisted/short upper body in general and the low rise sits a little higher and more comfortably. The regular waist sits up higher than my natural wait because there's not as much room between my hips and natural waist.

I'm with Crown Royal and Roomfor2 on this one... I'm short-waisted, and regular rise breeches come up far too high for comfort on me. Low rise on me looks like regular rise on most people and is definitely at my waist when I'm on my horse. (As evidenced in my profile pic - those are low-rise breeches... at my waist). But as was mentioned, people come in all shapes and sizes, so I am definitely on board with having options available to accomodate different shapes.

Two other thoughts:
1) My shirt tails have never come untucked while wearing low-rise breeches
2) Even as someone for whom regular rise is uncomfortable, I will not wear low-rise with a shadbelly, and I don't think anyone else should, either (unless they can *truly* pull it off without the white shirt showing at the waist. I've yet to see this).

I agree with Lucassb that insisting on a neat, tidy appearance with shirt tails properly tucked in is a perfectly acceptable approach. Outright banning of low-rise is not.

Spud&Saf
Mar. 7, 2012, 02:08 PM
The TS trophy hunter mirdrise are fantastic - I'm short waisted, but hourglass shaped. The mirdrise aren't so high that they are a unitard, but are not so low that "muffin top" is a possiblity. Highly recommend.

hntrjmprpro45
Mar. 7, 2012, 02:09 PM
I prefer to have breeches that reach to the bottom of my belly button (probably considered "mid-rise" in most brands). That way my shirt tails never come out, my underwear is never visible and it always looks tidy with a jacket.

And yes, shads + low rise = blech.

Trevelyan96
Mar. 7, 2012, 05:55 PM
As already mentioned, for some of us shorties (especially if you have curves as well) regular rise are too long from crotch to waist. They sit uncomfortably high and look horrible.

A modified low rise seems to work best on my 4'11" body. They're a little higher in the back and sit right at or just below my natural waist, and I always have my shirt tucked in with no difficulties.

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 7, 2012, 11:49 PM
Low rise TS's come up right to my belly button, but I only school in them. I use regular rise to show in, ESPECIALLY if I'm wearing a shad. I can't stand seeing shirts stick out from under shad's, it looks so tacky.

crazyhorses
Mar. 8, 2012, 01:22 AM
I HATE my lowrise TS'. I bought them because they were on sale at the tack store, fit, and I needed them. lol. I ended up using them til they were ripped, I still school in them.... and now I have the midrise. MUCH better for me. I have a very long torso and long thighs, so the low rise were even more low rise! LOL

jrzeqrider
Mar. 8, 2012, 12:28 PM

You can make the extra fabric into extra collars! I can't for the life of me hold onto mine, so I used an old shirt and had it made into 3 or 4 extra collars. :)

skittlespony
Mar. 8, 2012, 12:37 PM
I own a pair of Tailored Sportsmen Low rise breeches and I guess by the way that I am built they fit above my belly button. Whenever I tuck my show shirt in the tails of it never come out and there is never an issue with a shad either. I definitely agree with other people though that it is going to fit different people and different body types different. But in my case it works. If i wear regular ride breeches, All I would have to do is sew some straps on the waste and call them a new pair of overalls :lol: