PDA

View Full Version : Building Jumps

Kindred Spirit
Mar. 6, 2012, 07:41 PM
My dad and I recently built two 10' long wooden gates as new jump additions to the barn.

http://i41.tinypic.com/5wkn0p.jpg - (only half painted here, so it looks a little sloppy haha)
http://i44.tinypic.com/wklr89.jpg

And, they only cost about 10-15$ each :D, so I'm definitely looking to make more, with dads help of course haha. What are some jumps you guys have built, or any interesting suggestions? Hunter-type jumps, not crazy wing standards or anything.

Also, anyone ever built a rolltop? :confused: Not quite sure how to go about that...was thinking maybe something like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61LrqEGbSDL._AA300_.jpg if I can't figure out the rounded part.

baref00t
Mar. 6, 2012, 08:03 PM
Jumps, Etc. (http://www.amazon.com/Jumps-etc-Dressage-Arenas-Equipment/dp/0939481561/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331081987&sr=8-1) is an AWESOME book if you're at all interested in building jumps. They give great, detailed instructions, and have some jumps that I think would be hunter appropriate but aren't seen all that often (i.e. the "paddock gate (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=paddock+gate+horse+jump&hl=en&biw=1134&bih=800&tbm=isch&tbnid=NLSyz43LjvaERM:&imgrefurl=http://www.amazon.com/Paddock-Wooden-Horse-Jumps-12ftx24in/dp/B001NI817C&docid=U8KSJXLKaq_YgM&itg=1&imgurl=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51En7dztn9L._AA300_.jpg&w=300&h=300&ei=frNWT4rjIM_3ggf14dmZCg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=356&sig=104129127910805311194&page=1&tbnh=134&tbnw=134&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0&tx=103&ty=80)"). I haven't opened my copy in about 6 years, but I believe they have roll top instructions.

Celeritas
Mar. 6, 2012, 08:09 PM
I haven't built any myself, but I would think that a faux-stone wall would be easy. Just make 2 wood boxes and paint them to look like stone. Planks would also be easy. You could even go old-school and make a coop.

olivertwist96
Mar. 6, 2012, 09:32 PM
You could even go old-school and make a coop.

Old-school? The past two shows I have been to have both had coops! They must be making a comeback!

spacytracy
Mar. 6, 2012, 09:36 PM
Jumps Etc. is a great book!

Donkerbruin
Mar. 7, 2012, 10:32 AM
I think the ones you've already made look great! I also think painted boxes are a good idea. Easy to make, and you can paint them to look like anything you want.

LoveJubal
Mar. 7, 2012, 01:59 PM
How tall do you usually make the jump boxes (stone walls, roll tops, etc. etc.)?

I know the flower boxes are small, but the stone walls are usually bigger. Are they a standard height? Do you just use plywood or paneling for the sides to keep them light?

I ordered the Jumps, Etc. book. It looks very informative and I am going to try my hand (and my husband's :lol:) at making some jumps. I want to make a variety of jumps, so I need some plans and designs :winkgrin:

By the way, OP, your gates look great to me!

Celeritas
Mar. 7, 2012, 02:38 PM
The walls/roll tops I've always seen are maybe 2'6"-ish in height, so that those who don't jump high can jump them by themselves. It also makes them lighter in weight, and I would also cut out hand holds in the sides to make them easier to lift/carry. I don't know much about types of wood, but I would look for something that's light-ish but can withstand kicks/knocks and won't be too easy to put a hoof through. The Jumps Etc. book probably has suggestions.

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 7, 2012, 11:55 PM
I haven't built any myself, but I would think that a faux-stone wall would be easy. Just make 2 wood boxes and paint them to look like stone. Planks would also be easy. You could even go old-school and make a coop.

I've made brick walls, and sponge painted them. It was something fun to do with my siblings and friends. :)
Planks are easy too, though you don't see many of them in the hunter ring. I've also made gates similar to yours.
What about making some flower boxes? It'd be similar to a brick wall (obviously just smaller), then just drill holes in it and pick up as many fake flowers as you'd like from a dollar store, or some sort of craft store. :)

bumknees
Mar. 8, 2012, 06:32 AM
Its been a while but iirc there was something about soaking the wood( ply wood) over night(???) to make it plyable/bendable to the frame... like I said its been a while like since the 80's.

Love your jumps you've already made though. I would go for the coop also. and maybe a larger gate one that is about 2'6" or so that dips a bit through the leingth.. flower boxes always good stand by, coops, walls, wishing wells, trying to think what else would be on the old hunter courses that would spook the rider first then the horse after the rider would freak...

skittlespony
Mar. 8, 2012, 08:41 AM
Not really sure about the actually building of the jumps, but if you make a few jumps and boxes you could have one of the jump boxes have all the hand prints of people at your barn on it in different colors. Or on a plank you could put the name of your barn. :)

Berry0317
Mar. 8, 2012, 09:04 AM
Something I've seen recently for the boxes is to use the plastic sheets that they put up around the mobile homes (to hide the wheels) instead of paint. They have a lot of different designs, like stone wall etc... Looks very nice.

ACP
Mar. 8, 2012, 09:31 AM
Back when I ran a barn and did shows, I made an entire set of jumps. Here's what I had:

Brush Box - 18" tall, two sections. Frame was a simple 2" by 4" with 1" by 4" across top, bottom and middle. Three white rails.

Gambler's Gate - Hearts/Diamonds - This was a white 17" hanging gate with vertical planks, with two planks close together in a pair, then a space, then two, etc., across the gate. The pairs had cutouts shaped like hearts and diamongs. Three white rails.

Gambler's Gate - Spades/Clubs - As above, but the cutouts were spades and clubs. Also three white rails.

Aquaduct - Three 18" tall boxes with arched cutouts, about 6" wide, painted all over with medium grey, then random black lines. I had three white rails for this jump. I had a white lattice panel that hung behind the boxes.

Brick Wall - Two 18" tall boxes, about 6" wide, painted all over with red brick color, then white lines. I had three red rails for this jump.

Farm Gate - Just a simple 17" hanging farm gate, painted green, with three green rails.

Rolltop - Two 18" tall 'boxes' that looked like a quarter circle when viewed from the end. I cut a sheet of plywood so that I had a circle 36" across, which I cut into four sections. It took two sections to make the end of each 'box'. The back was solid. The base was open to prevent it from being so heavy, except for a 2"x4" across the base for reinforcement. I put 1"x4" - which are actually not that thick - on the curved side. They didn't overlap, they were about 1/4 inch apart. Painted it green, with three green rails.

Coup - My Son-in-law actually did this, but it was simple. Just two 18" 'boxes', with the ends cut in a triangle, of course. Again, 1" x 4" across. He did put a center brace, and then stained the coups a reddish brown. Rails were stained to match.

Chevron Gate - Just a simple 17" hanging gate, with the slats at an angle on each side of a center slat which was straight. Like so: \\\\\\||//////. It was stained like the coup, with three rails stained to match.

Natural Rail Aiken - If you have axcess to a stand of trees, you can cut a number of tree trunks which you trim. Get a couple of old artificial Christmas trees to go under them. I had six poles, with the greenery from two large trees, so this made a really neat looking Aiken.

Natural Rails w/Hay - Again, go cut a selection of tree trunks, and use straw or hay bales underneath. This will look very different from the Aiken. This is a good place to have an Oxer, too, so I had two sets.

There three jumps were "The Natural Rails Line". These do have to be replaced eventually, as they are not pressure treated, but if you keep them hung up in the jump cups, they last several years. Mine were going on five years when I moved and sold all my jumps.

Hope this helps.

For flowers, my friends mom went to a nearby cemetary and asked them how often they gathered up the flowers to throw them away. She just collected them for us to use. We took them apart a bit, combined things into suitable sizes, and had a lot of free flowers. We took landscape timbers which were either painted or stained to match the jumps, drilled holes, and stuck the flower stems into the holes.

For Jumper/Equitation type stuff, I two sets of planks.

One set was painted white with orange stripes, and had the words "Road Closed" stenciled on them. I had four 10' long 2"by8" for these. I got two barrels and painted them in orange and white stripes, and stood them up in front of the standards.

The other set of planks was painted a pale blue. I had three 10' long 2"by10" for these. I took a 4'by8' sheet of plywood and painted it pale plue to match, with a 1"by4" edge painted bright cobalt blue. This made a liverpool. I got a garden frog and sat him on the liverpool, and painted a couple of lily pads.

From the arches cut out to make the Aquaduct, I contrived a trio of Rainbows, painted in red, orange, yellow, blue, green, indigio and violet. They sat on little 1"by1"s at right angles, so they wouldn't tip over. I had three rails that were painted in stripes with the same order of colors.

I made another set of boxes, just like the brick wall, about 18" by 6" deep, painted them black and red on one side, like a checkerboard, and solid black with big white dots on the other side, like dominoes. The rails were black and white and red.

Hope this gives you some ideas. As you can tell, I loved to build jumps!

Electrikk
Mar. 8, 2012, 09:30 PM
for any of you experienced jump builders, any tips on stone walls that won't blow over in the wind? My horse doesn't love it when she's jumping something and it tries to bite her toes. Don't blame her :)

DMK
Mar. 8, 2012, 10:12 PM
How tall do you usually make the jump boxes (stone walls, roll tops, etc. etc.)?

I think a good rule of thumb is 6" lower than your average height. If you are jumping between 2'6 and 3'0, it's best to keep the wall at 2'0. You have to remember that a pole doesn't really sit well in the cup 3" higher than the fence, you usually have to bump it up one. So if you have a 2'6 wall and want to use a pole, it's usually going to have to be at 3'0. Otherwise the pole is just laying on the wall.

Also most fillers for a 3'0 course are 2'0 (for that reason), but if you want to jump 3'6, all you need is a baby gate behind the wall + pole and it will look very substantial even at 3'6.

For example - here is a 2'0 wall I built, completing a 2'9 oxer.

wall oxer (http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6217/6360544691_249ac7238e_o.jpg)

LoveJubal
Mar. 8, 2012, 10:21 PM
I think a good rule of thumb is 6" lower than your average height. If you are jumping between 2'6 and 3'0, it's best to keep the wall at 2'0. You have to remember that a pole doesn't really sit well in the cup 3" higher than the fence, you usually have to bump it up one. So if you have a 2'6 wall and want to use a pole, it's usually going to have to be at 3'0. Otherwise the pole is just laying on the wall.

Also most fillers for a 3'0 course are 2'0 (for that reason), but if you want to jump 3'6, all you need is a baby gate behind the wall + pole and it will look very substantial even at 3'6.

For example - here is a 2'0 wall I built, completing a 2'9 oxer.

wall oxer (http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6217/6360544691_249ac7238e_o.jpg)

That is what I was looking for... I was thinking about 2'0 myself. That way, I can add to it or just use it as is if I need to. I can always make it more substantial, like your example. I am in need of versatile options!

Thanks again! :yes: