PDA

View Full Version : Bit question!

JumpTheFence
Mar. 6, 2012, 06:39 PM
Hey there!

I have recently started doing the Marshall and Sterling classes and was advised to switch my bit. I use a low port correction with a curb chain and have been using it with my horse for over a year now. I have a really soft hand, never snatch him, and only use light signals on him when he gets too forward. I used to ride him in a twisted wire (full cheek) but was told to switch because it wasn't doing my horse any justice over the fences.

What do you think? I tried riding him in the twisted wire about a month ago and he was acting up pretty badly. Maybe going back to just flatting in a regular snaffle? I don't really know how bits work specifically, so I figured I would ask the pros!

Thank you :)

besttwtbever
Mar. 7, 2012, 11:39 AM
I think you need to tell us a little bit more. You say a low port correction, that's more of a mouthpiece. What do the cheeks look like? Is it a pelham? Elevator? Kimberwicke? D with clips?

Why did someone tell you that you should switch bits? If what you have is working, why change? What behaviors is he exhibiting that need to be changed?

JumpTheFence
Mar. 7, 2012, 05:45 PM
I think you need to tell us a little bit more. You say a low port correction, that's more of a mouthpiece. What do the cheeks look like? Is it a pelham? Elevator? Kimberwicke? D with clips?

Why did someone tell you that you should switch bits? If what you have is working, why change? What behaviors is he exhibiting that need to be changed?

D with clips! The other trainer told me to switch just because some judges frown upon it on the circuit I suppose? I've never had a problem with my horse on the bit, he is super well behaved with it. That same day the judge said my horse looks fantastic but said some judges really don't like the bit (but she doesn't mind) and she really advised me to switch if I plan on going to the finals. Is there any other bit that works somewhat like it that A judges don't mind seeing? :confused:

CBoylen
Mar. 7, 2012, 06:35 PM
You definitely need to switch. You are not going to find many judges okay with a D with a curb chain. If you want the curb chain, use a pelham.

JumpTheFence
Mar. 7, 2012, 06:39 PM
You definitely need to switch. You are not going to find many judges okay with a D with a curb chain. If you want the curb chain, use a pelham.

I was really thinking about trying one on him, but I don't know how it works and I don't know how to ride in one? My friend at the shows uses one... Maybe I could ask her? I don't want something that's too tough though... I heard a Pelham has a lot of leverage?

And just out of curiosity, why don't judges like the D with a curb chain? Not arguing against it at all, just wondering :)

Rel6
Mar. 7, 2012, 07:05 PM
I was really thinking about trying one on him, but I don't know how it works and I don't know how to ride in one? My friend at the shows uses one... Maybe I could ask her? I don't want something that's too tough though... I heard a Pelham has a lot of leverage?

And just out of curiosity, why don't judges like the D with a curb chain? Not arguing against it at all, just wondering :)

Anything with a curb except for a pelham is unconventional in the hunter ring and a judge can penalize for it at their discretion.

With a pelham you are riding with two reins, the snaffle rein and the curb rein. If you ride around with a loose curb rein you're not putting any leverage on the bit. So your hands completely determine the amount of leverage being applied. So can apply the curb only when necessary and then release then their good.

JumpTheFence
Mar. 7, 2012, 07:13 PM
Anything with a curb except for a pelham is unconventional in the hunter ring and a judge can penalize for it at their discretion.

With a pelham you are riding with two reins, the snaffle rein and the curb rein. If you ride around with a loose curb rein you're not putting any leverage on the bit. So your hands completely determine the amount of leverage being applied. So can apply the curb only when necessary and then release then their good.

Makes sense! I think I might try one on him.. I'll ask my trainer and see what he thinks :) Thank you!