PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Sprouted Grain

AppJumpr08
Mar. 6, 2012, 09:12 AM
Are any fellow COTHers feeding their horses or livestock grain sprouts (barley, oats, etc)?
I've been doing some research and calculations, and it seems like it might be an interesting way to feed, especially up here where the grazing season is so short. I've been looking at a hydroponic growing system designed to sprout grains for use as green fodder.

Thoughts?

Alagirl
Mar. 6, 2012, 09:24 AM
it's been done for birds a lot.
Somebody here linked an article that covered rather large scale sprouting for chickens.

as for horses, hmm, not sure if I would try it.
Then again, if you use caution and keep things clean and fresh, I don't see how it could hurt.

naturally there is a huge difference between sprouts: Whether it's just hydrated, the root just beginning to poke out or actually turning green with a shoot.
http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Sprouting.html

dogbluehorse
May. 22, 2012, 07:21 AM
Are any fellow COTHers feeding their horses or livestock grain sprouts (barley, oats, etc)?
I've been doing some research and calculations, and it seems like it might be an interesting way to feed, especially up here where the grazing season is so short. I've been looking at a hydroponic growing system designed to sprout grains for use as green fodder.

Thoughts?

I have a hydroponic machine and produce hydroponic grass for my horses on a daily basis. I have been doing it for about 3 years now. The horses love it and I do think it's really good for them. There are a lot of systems out there, I don't love the one I have, it has some design flaws. I am considering trashing it and getting another, so have started looking at alternate systems, there are quite a lot out there. If you would like to talk some time let me know.

Ambitious Kate
May. 22, 2012, 08:08 PM
So is there actually any nutritional benefit to feeding sprouted grain vs. unsprouted grain? Or is it something which makes us feel good but doesn't add to the nutrition of the horse per se?

I would be concerned about molds, bacteria and yeast.

dogbluehorse
May. 22, 2012, 08:38 PM
Yes, lots of nutritional benefit. High in Omega 3's and Omega 6's etc. There are lots of articles out there on nutrional benefits. Also good source of energy, without feeding excessive grain (i.e. colic preventative).

oldpony66
May. 23, 2012, 05:06 PM
I'm curious why sprouted grain is higher in nutrients than unsprouted. Where did the nutrients come from? Are the sprouted grains exposed to sunlight so they're doing photosynthesis?

Simkie
May. 23, 2012, 05:14 PM
Here's an article about what happens as grains sprout:

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2010/03/19/food-for-thought-the-health-benefits-of-sprouting/

ThisTooShallPass
May. 23, 2012, 09:51 PM
I made my own redneck sprouting system. Used it all winter. For now, temperature wise due to potential mold issues, I have stopped using it until I turn on the airco for the summer.

I would love to buy a commerical system. I posted last year that if anyone had one for sale they did not want I would probably be interested in it.

I only sprout barley into grass for the horses. The chickens get a mixed grain sprout. Not grass, just sprouts.

JB
May. 24, 2012, 09:07 AM
Yes, lots of nutritional benefit. High in Omega 3's and Omega 6's etc. There are lots of articles out there on nutrional benefits. Also good source of energy, without feeding excessive grain (i.e. colic preventative).
More O3 is good. More O6 is not necessarily desirable.