PDA

View Full Version : Bit Rehab- help!

Gnomeland
Mar. 6, 2012, 06:54 AM
I have a d-ring with copper rollers that I'd like to use but on one side the copper rollers really don't spin well. The other side is perfectly fine. Suggestions to get them back in "spinning" order again? ;) Thanks!

findeight
Mar. 6, 2012, 11:21 AM
Two theories, one easy, one hopeless.

First off, there could be dirt stuck in the rollers. Throw it in the dishwasher (will NOT hurt it or the rest of the dishes). Or soak it in water and dish detergent overnight. When you pull it out, try to stick some wire or something in between each roller and the mouthpiece to see if there is anything now softened up enough to work out. You can get old food and crap in there and it can harden and restrict the movement of the rollers.

The other is not so good. Copper is relatively soft as metals go. Years of use and a horse chewing on it can change the shape just enough to retard the abilty to spin on the mouthpiece. They get smooshed, just not enough so you can easily see. I had to pitch one I'd had for 25 years+, when I took a good look, you could see they were no longer round.

If it is smooshed, you can still use it if you and the horse don't mind the rollers inop.

Gnomeland
Mar. 6, 2012, 04:50 PM
Thanks! I'll soak it overnight and see if that helps. Dishsoap or should I try something else?

findeight
Mar. 6, 2012, 06:42 PM
No, you just need to soften whatever may be stuck up in the center of those rollers, water and dishsoap work good.

You might want to leave it in longer, like a day or two. Stuff stuck in bits gets like concrete.

While you wait go find a piece of thin wire that will fit between the rollers and the mouthpiece. If there is nothing around the house, craft shops sell "floral wire". It's real thin but fairly strong and is used making floral arrangements. Have to buy a package, sold in varying lengths from 6" on up but it's cheap.