PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre, random (seemingly) issue on Tractor

Kate66
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:53 PM
TC30, probably around a 2003?

Sometimes it runs just fine. Then, other times this happens......

- tractor starts fine
- put foot on brake tractor stalls
or
- push in clutch and move shift from Neutral to H, M or L - tractor stalls

Tractor will start again just fine and then go through all the same crap and then, maybe 45 mins after you have started to get really pissed off, it will work just fine, you'll stick in gear and off you go.

I "think" it has only happened when we have something attached to the back, but then again we normally do. Happens whether it's a box blade or a mower, so nothing to do with the PTO and the PTO has been off every time. Doesn't appear to be connected to the safety switch on the seat, as I had my husband push hard on it before I pushed in the clutch. Happens whether you do the brake and don't touch anything else, or the clutch and gear, but doesn't happen if you just push in the clutch.

Then, once you get it started, it will run for hours no problems at all.

Any ideas? It's driving me totally potty!!!

MistyBlue
Mar. 5, 2012, 10:40 PM
Parking brake stuck maybe?

Kate66
Mar. 5, 2012, 11:01 PM
Good idea but, no, brake seems to be working fine. It doesn't strain against the brake and not move, it's literally as soon as you press the brake to click off the catch for the parking brake that it just stalls. Or, if you don't even touch the brake and just put it into H,M or L (without even putting it into gear) it stalls.

Ambitious Kate
Mar. 5, 2012, 11:08 PM
Well, I don't know much, but to run you have to have spark, fuel, and oxygen or something so you are losing one of those somewhere.

I would suspect dirty spark plugs, a gunked up carberator (not enough fuel getting soemwhere ) or a sticky fuel pump. If it runs eventually, you are probably unsticking something as it warms up. It could be flooding (too much fuel) so do you smell gasoline as you are doing this?

It sounds like a 'simple' problem like the above, in quotes because its not obvious. I suspect that as time goes on this will get worse. If so, that;s a clue too. Take it to a tractor fixer (our true value fixes them). There's not enough of something when you put it in gear, like oxygen or fuel, or spark.

Tom King
Mar. 5, 2012, 11:49 PM
Is this a gas or diesel tractor?

hosspuller
Mar. 6, 2012, 03:22 AM
Does your tractor stop running if you get off the seat? If so .. And you're a feather weight, pushing the clutch might just be enough to open the seat switch.

Kate66
Mar. 6, 2012, 09:38 AM
Is this a gas or diesel tractor?

Diesel.

The tank is full. I thought maybe condensation in the lines, but then that wouldn't make sense that it would stop when I touch the brake. So, tractor starts no problem, will sit idling all day, but the second I touch the brake pedal (even if I am sitting in neutral) the engine dies. I am suspecting some type of electrical connection may be corroded and giving a bad signal erratically?

Kate66
Mar. 6, 2012, 09:40 AM
Does your tractor stop running if you get off the seat? If so .. And you're a feather weight, pushing the clutch might just be enough to open the seat switch.

I thought that very one too! I'm not a featherweight, but I do have short legs! However, I have also driven this tractor for 6 years. But - to make sure that wasn't the problem, in case something had come loose, I had my husband stand on the box blade at the back and keep the seat pulled back to ensure that somehow I wasn't just coming up. No change.

So frustrating!!

Kate66
Mar. 6, 2012, 09:44 AM
Well, I don't know much, but to run you have to have spark, fuel, and oxygen or something so you are losing one of those somewhere.

It sounds like a 'simple' problem like the above, in quotes because its not obvious. I suspect that as time goes on this will get worse. If so, that;s a clue too. Take it to a tractor fixer (our true value fixes them). There's not enough of something when you put it in gear, like oxygen or fuel, or spark.

Agreed, but it starts like a champ, so I would rule out the spark plugs. I did wonder about dirty fuel, or condensation, but then I would expect it to cough while it was idling. I think it may have to go to the tractor fixer, but my trailer is 200 miles away, so getting it there is going to be a prize pain :-)

Romany
Mar. 6, 2012, 01:58 PM

Second this, as we had the same issue - and I'm no featherweight!

Turned out to be some teeny tiny wire was getting pinched by the seat ?safety switch very intermittently, but just enough to kill the engine. :rolleyes:

It took scads of mechanics and other useful agricultural neighbourly types AGES to figure that one out, ugh.

Might also be a fuel filter (I have no idea what a fuel filter is or what it does, but that's what the mechanics mentioned).

ReSomething
Mar. 6, 2012, 03:01 PM
I thought that very one too! I'm not a featherweight, but I do have short legs! However, I have also driven this tractor for 6 years. But - to make sure that wasn't the problem, in case something had come loose, I had my husband stand on the box blade at the back and keep the seat pulled back to ensure that somehow I wasn't just coming up. No change.

So frustrating!!

No really, you need to see if these problems ever crop up with his butt in the seat. I can't tell you how finicky some forklifts are, when I weighed 150 I'd go over a bump and peeeeep, we'd be rolling to a stop. At 170 I could lean forward, slither around in the seat, twist and turn, and go over bumps without any problem.

Kate66
Mar. 6, 2012, 03:14 PM
No really, you need to see if these problems ever crop up with his butt in the seat. I can't tell you how finicky some forklifts are, when I weighed 150 I'd go over a bump and peeeeep, we'd be rolling to a stop. At 170 I could lean forward, slither around in the seat, twist and turn, and go over bumps without any problem.

It's a good idea. I'll get his (not much fatter than mine) butt into that seat after work and see how it goes. Something could have definitely come loose.

Tom King
Mar. 6, 2012, 05:00 PM
2 most likely issues. Both are bad wiring connections.

Trace the wire that goes from the seat switch all the way to the ignition switch to see if there is a bad connection somewhere. The other likely one with a diesel, is the wire that goes from the fuel pump- where the fuel lines branch off to each injector-back to the cutoff switch.

If there are any crimp-on connectors anywhere along either of those wires, make a new soldered connection doing away with the crimp connectors.

Any slip on connections to a switch need a dab of di-electric grease (sold in little packets at the checkout counter in Advance Auto or Autozone).