PDA

View Full Version : darkening seats and knee pads on saddles?

eventer_mi
Mar. 5, 2012, 08:04 PM
I found a lovely used Tolga on eBay and bought it, only to find that I can't seem to darken the seat and knee pads on it like I thought I could! What I thought was dry, unoiled leather is actually just leather that is bound and determined to be light reddish brown. The only thing I can compare it to are the older Butets with their light seats.

Has anybody ever had any success with darkening the seat and knee pads of those older Butets and Bevals? I don't want to dye it because I don't want dye to stain my breeches. Thanks in advance!

LoveJubal
Mar. 5, 2012, 10:47 PM
What about using Hydrophane, which is a darkening oil? It's not necessarily a dye, but I would be careful with the breeches after you apply it. (maybe only a few rides or so)

Some others have suggested, in other threads on darkening tack, the use of warmed oil (Neatsfoot or olive oil). Apply it with a paintbrush, let it soak, and then reapply as needed.

Search for other threads, they are out there. Good Luck ;)

mojo7777
Mar. 5, 2012, 11:50 PM
Walsh Oil. If that won't darken it, nothing will except stain or dye. It's the only thing that would begin to darken my Collegiate Alumni. Good luck!

BAC
Mar. 6, 2012, 10:48 AM
Walsh Oil. If that won't darken it, nothing will except stain or dye. It's the only thing that would begin to darken my Collegiate Alumni. Good luck!

Walsh's oil has stain in it, that's why its so good at darkening, its my favorite.

CWD Cream Conditioner is also excellent for darkening as well.

eventer_mi
Mar. 6, 2012, 05:14 PM
I've tried warm olive oil and that did nada. Where can one get Walsh's oil?

mojo7777
Mar. 6, 2012, 05:50 PM
Here's a link:

http://www.walshharness.com/MenuRoot/Accessories/tabid/60/Default.aspx

Scroll ALL the way down. It's a fun site.

I have an interest in leather darkening due to my saddle. Let us know how you make out!

BAC
Mar. 6, 2012, 09:11 PM
My local tack shop orders the Walsh oil especially for me, that way I don't pay for shipping.

alto
Mar. 7, 2012, 11:31 AM
I've seen some Tolga'a that are more evenly colored & some that are the 2 tone - why not send an email off to the company with the serial numer to find out more about the leather used?

HSI (http://www.horsesmart.ca/contents/en-us/d70.html) seems to carry their line.

lachevaline
Mar. 7, 2012, 01:40 PM
I've heard about using mink oil to darken leather - haven't tried it yet myself but I'm planning to.

Hydrophane and olive oil have darkened my super orange Bates to a POINT but I'm hoping to get some of the redness out of it, too...

alto
Mar. 7, 2012, 02:25 PM
Beware of over-saturating the leather & weakening the structure.