PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a judge

iccir
Mar. 5, 2012, 05:31 PM
I have an opportunity to start this long process. I know all judges have to be willing to put in the hours to become successful and I am ready. I just can't seem to get a straight answer on how they are paid. And what is paid for. I am looking for information at a local up to the AA level. I realise that this may differ with where you are but I'd at least like to get a ball park figure. Thanks in advance.

equinedriver
Mar. 5, 2012, 07:46 PM
I paid all my judges expenses plus $350 a day. Not a big fancy show, but recognized.

iccir
Mar. 8, 2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks Equinedriver. I have booked the clinic with Equine Canada and excited to begin this process. I'm looking forward to being able to still be involved with the sport when I am "older", no longer showing myself and can use my 30 + years of competition knowledge to use.

toomanyponies
Mar. 8, 2012, 07:03 PM
The range is about 300 - 500 a day, depending on the level of show. My understanding is that HITS pays 500/day regardless of who you are, or what ring you judge. I havent yet had the opportunity to work there.

hntrjmprpro45
Mar. 8, 2012, 07:24 PM
I am currently going through the process of getting my license too! Typically a show will pay for travel expenses, hotel and food plus an additional fee for judging. Since I am not yet licensed I have only been judging schooling shows which typically pay $200-$250 per day + those expenses I just mentioned.

ALLIGORY
Mar. 9, 2012, 03:06 PM
I am also in the process of obtaining my license with USEF. I don't know if the process is as time consuming and expensive in Canada as it is in the US . There is a lot of red tape so be ready to commit yourself fully to the process.
It also is not inexpensive to meet the requirements, before you are earning a check you must attend the required clinics and guest judge with several different professionals. Here it is desirable to get as much learner judging in outside of your zone.. that means for me getting to both coasts (at my own expense) to sit with the best . You will need the cooperation of show managers that may or may not allow you to participate at their shows and you will have endless forms to submit for approval before you get that chance to learn from someone you admire. It is an honor to be selected as an official and deserves the scrutiny of the organization who is approving your application.