PDA

View Full Version : Dress Boots... New trend in the hunters/eq?

HinderFonder
Mar. 5, 2012, 02:42 PM
Tried on some "smexy" contoured dress boots on sale at my local tack store. The ankles are very fitted and sport the spanish top as well. They fit amazing and the lady at the store said Dress boots are now trending in the Hunters and Eq and that everyone is getting them.

True of False?

AmmyByNature
Mar. 5, 2012, 02:46 PM
I've seen them. Not the majority, but they have absolutely gotten more popular since the introduction of zippers. Field boots with zippers are pretty unnecessary, really. (Although they DO still give you more flexibility of fit.)

BAC
Mar. 5, 2012, 03:45 PM
Not a new trend, it is an old trend. Dress boots were probably worn by at least 50% of the entries in hunter divisions in the 60s and 70s and were just as popular in the eq and jumper rings as well. Just like in everyday fashion, if you wait long enough everything always comes back in style. ;)

karlymacrae
Mar. 5, 2012, 04:02 PM
I love boots without laces and plan on getting a pair. They offer a much nicer fit through the ankle and are quite popular in the jumpers and equitation.

Trixie
Mar. 5, 2012, 04:04 PM
I've seen them. Not the majority, but they have absolutely gotten more popular since the introduction of zippers. Field boots with zippers are pretty unnecessary, really. (Although they DO still give you more flexibility of fit.)

Unless you're like me, with little stick calves and average sized feet. This means that if I want boots that fit nicely in the calf, the zips are a must if I want to get my foot into them. Or out of them, as the case may be... I remember being pulled across an indoor ring by three people because my *#)!#(!) boots wouldn't come off.

AmmyByNature
Mar. 5, 2012, 04:13 PM
I apologize! I didn't make that statement clear... What I meant to say was that if you had zippers, you don't need laces -- not that if you had laces you don't need zippers.

I, too, had to get my boots made with a few extra eyelets just so I could get my feet in them. Zippers are a godsend!

Hunter/JumperMom
Mar. 5, 2012, 04:20 PM
Heres a dumb question, whats the difference in "dress" boots and "dressage" boots?

Bearhunter
Mar. 5, 2012, 04:20 PM
Love my custom dress boots which I wear in the hunters!

Trixie
Mar. 5, 2012, 04:28 PM
H/J Mom, sometimes "dressage" boots are made more stiff than the ones you'd typically see for hunters, otherwise they're pretty similar in shape.

And Ammy, yes, I agree! I was SO happy when the zips came out... I kept my old field boots as spares but don't think I've worn them since.

AmmyByNature
Mar. 5, 2012, 04:28 PM
Dressage boots are stiffer and sometimes even have a stiffener down the spine to keep them from dropping. Very different look. The only similarity, really, is that neither has laces.

xxreddxheaddxx
Mar. 5, 2012, 05:18 PM
I like them! Only if they are done right of course!

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 5, 2012, 05:48 PM
Dressage boots also have a squared-off toe. Some of the field boots have copied that feature.

IIRC it is only in the last ten or twelve years that field boots were worn at shows. When I started riding at a H/J barn in the late '90s, everyone had dress boots for showing and field boots were for schooling.

AmmyByNature
Mar. 5, 2012, 05:51 PM
Dressage boots also have a squared-off toe. Some of the field boots have copied that feature.

IIRC it is only in the last ten or twelve years that field boots were worn at shows. When I started riding at a H/J barn in the late '90s, everyone had dress boots for showing and field boots were for schooling.

Could be regional, then. My first tall boots were field boots, and everyone I knew had field boots. This was on the east coast in 1991.

(Also, what region calls them "long" boots, 'cause that sounds SOOO weird to me...)

MHM
Mar. 5, 2012, 05:53 PM
I've had dress boots for all these years, and suddenly I'm trendy??

Sweet! :lol:

Calvincrowe
Mar. 5, 2012, 06:01 PM
I started riding in the rateds in 1992, and it was all field boots here in PNW, you rarely see a dress boot. I had some in my 4-H days and HATED them. Granted they were pull ons:eek:. I can see with zippers, how appealing they might be. I am so old school, I've never had field boots WITH a zipper. No zipper, no broken zipper to deal with minutes before your class.:)

osgoka01
Mar. 5, 2012, 06:06 PM
I have seen quite a few of the big Eq kids at WEF wearing a modified dress boots the last few years... Square toe & no laces but many still have a swagger tab.

Check out the Parlanti Olympia in black.... they are lovely on the leg.
They have another model (can't recall the name( with a zipper that wraps around the ankle that seeems to be showing up in jumperland a fair bit....Euro chic! :)

Dewey
Mar. 5, 2012, 07:26 PM
I grew up when everyone wore dress boots. Sometime in the mid-70s, the popular style became black field boots. This predated on-the-rack field boots, so people who could afford them got custom Dehners or Vogels. I remember the longing I went through before I finally got mine in 1978. I should mention that I did Pony Club and Combined Training, not hunter/jumper stuff then. I'm not sure what people wore in the show ring.

ChagrinSaddlery
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:51 PM
Tredstep has a pair coming out this year that are to die for! We (my shop) are going to carry them. Will totally be sold for the hunter/jumper ring. Saw that trend starting when we attended Devon last year. Many of the junior riders had dress boots. Of course I will still carry field boots but I totally see dress boots making more of an appearance in the hunter/jumper world this year. Soft shell hunt coats in a bigger way as well.

gottagrey
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:52 PM
Heres a dumb question, whats the difference in "dress" boots and "dressage" boots?

Since attire in hunter ring is supposed to be based on attire in the hunt field - dress boots were to be worn for more formal hunting and many hunts required dress boots for hunting season period and field (often brown) were worn during cubbing season.

In the show ring dress boots used to be the always acceptable boot for showing in any class where field boots were to be worn in less formal classes. In ladies side saddle its only dress boots.

and Trixie I too remember the days of being dragged all over the place trying to get out my boots including the parking lot of some Chinese restaurant in New Jersey! Oh my those were the days- slip on or baby powder, boot pulls and boot jacks. Oh my I remember working in a tack shop and getting some people out of boots pre-zipper days, once I swear this woman was doing child birthing exercises to get out them Hilarious

ElisLove
Mar. 5, 2012, 10:25 PM
I am not a fan of dress boots, they look like rubber boots to me! They look better on, especially from a distance, but I prefer field boots.

danceronice
Mar. 5, 2012, 10:46 PM
Not a new trend, it is an old trend. Dress boots were probably worn by at least 50% of the entries in hunter divisions in the 60s and 70s and were just as popular in the eq and jumper rings as well. Just like in everyday fashion, if you wait long enough everything always comes back in style. ;)

Even in the early 1990s, those are what I had-field boots were 'less formal' (probably stemming from the hunt field thing--suitable with tweeds for cubbing, not acceptable for full-dress formal hunts.) Late '90s, that's what I got as a replacement and as they're still perfectly good, I've never bothered buying field boots. (Newer pair are zippered, older ones were pull-ons.)

Mukluk
Mar. 5, 2012, 11:26 PM
My mother will be glad. She HATES the look of field boots. On the other hand. My boots are non-zippered field boots. I really wouldn't want to deal with the added challenge of getting non-zippered dress boots off. Have fun everyone!!! I guess the folks with the money would get dress boots with zippers?

Atlas Shrugged
Mar. 6, 2012, 09:01 AM
When I started showing in the 60's as a kid I wore black dress boots. Later I added the patent leather black tops.Then the trend was to brown Dehner field boots. Then when I returned to showing in 1992 I died my old brown custom Dehners black. Since then I have been thru many pair of Vogel field boots and I also like the Ariat Monaco. I keep them both in my trailer and see what I feel like riding in when I get to the show... Usually the Monaco. At home I used old field boots and paddock boots (and Uggs!)

Donkerbruin
Mar. 6, 2012, 11:54 AM
My first pair of tall boots was a used pair of Vogel dress boots. I loved them. I also don't think anyone can really tell the difference from a distance. What does it matter?

SaratogaTB
Mar. 6, 2012, 01:31 PM
I was one day away from getting field boots for the hunter ring this year when I saw this. I have dress boots. A couple folks pointed that out to me at recent shows and I felt like I was erring with dress boots as opposed to field boots. After reading these comments, I am going to stick with my elegant dress boots and clean up in the hunter ring! :winkgrin:

BAC
Mar. 6, 2012, 01:54 PM
I was one day away from getting field boots for the hunter ring this year when I saw this. I have dress boots. A couple folks pointed that out to me at recent shows and I felt like I was erring with dress boots as opposed to field boots. After reading these comments, I am going to stick with my elegant dress boots and clean up in the hunter ring! :winkgrin:

My trainer still shows in hunters and jumpers in her custom dress boots, I much prefer their appearance over field boots and they are always appropriate. I have to admit though, my very high instep does make getting my field boots on a lot easier than trying to squeeze into my custom dress boots (no zippers).

kmwines01
Mar. 6, 2012, 02:09 PM
I used to hate the look of dress boots, especially the stiffer dressage boots. They always looked like the foot was monstrous and the ankle was so gappy and straight. But my trainer recently bought a pair and they are gorgeous! With the zipper the ankle can get much more tapered and looks really elegant. I think her look really classy and I wouldn't hesitate to wear them in the ring. And I really want to join a hunt just so I can have a pair of those gorgeous brown boots people keep putting pictures of on other threads!

BAC
Mar. 6, 2012, 02:16 PM
And I really want to join a hunt just so I can have a pair of those gorgeous brown boots people keep putting pictures of on other threads!

You don't have to "join a hunt" to have brown field boots, maybe you are confused with staff members boots or gentlemen who have won their colors having brown topped boots. Tan topped boots are only for those who have earned the right to wear them.

Any shade of brown field boot is acceptable to show in regardless of your status in foxhunting, except for formal classes where black is required. They may not be as popular as black anymore, but you will not be penalized for wearing them, unless you are showing under an ignorant judge.

kmwines01
Mar. 6, 2012, 02:41 PM
I just meant that would give me an excuse to buy another pair seems from what people have said it is the correct color for hunting. Don't need another pair otherwise.

BAC
Mar. 6, 2012, 03:01 PM
I just meant that would give me an excuse to buy another pair seems from what people have said it is the correct color for hunting. Don't need another pair otherwise.

Brown boots are correct for cubbing and less formal hunts, otherwise black is proper.

You don't need an excuse to buy another pair of boots though, its good to be able to alternate them while one pair "airs out." Just think, if you have two pairs of boots that you can alternate riding/showing in, you won't have to replace them for twice as long. ;) So you are really saving money. :D

Hunter/JumperMom
Mar. 6, 2012, 03:56 PM

There is a beautiful pair on ebay! Size 10 foot, but tall/ slim!

Melissa.Van Doren
Mar. 6, 2012, 04:52 PM
The Farm House has a bunch of Elan pull-on dress boots left over from their warehouse sale... $50. Pull-on field boots for $50, too. At that price, you wouldn't feel bad about having a second pair!

Random sizes, but someone will be happy to check for you if you call.

eclipse
Mar. 6, 2012, 05:41 PM
hmmmmmmm, I must be in the minority then as I do not like dress boots at all! :D

woops
Mar. 6, 2012, 08:25 PM
I absolutely love these. So much sleeker than my field boots!

http://www.thetackboxinc.com/main.cfm?action=store&sub=product&id=129&fromCat=81

RugBug
Mar. 6, 2012, 11:17 PM

I began showing right around the change over. My first boots were dress boots, subsequent pairs where field boots. That was 1987-89...a bit more than 10 or 12 years ago...and I suppose as usually, the west coast was 2+ years behind the east coast as far as trends go.

BTW - my trainer, just wore her custom Dehner field boots for the first time that she's had for 25 years. They were purchased the same time her Dehner dress boots were purchased, she just always wore the dress boots. She's going to keel over when I tell her dress boots are on their way back. teehee.

Ray
Mar. 7, 2012, 07:24 AM
I have always shown in dress boots, as I got customs for fox-hunting and loved the fit. My trainer assured me that dress boots are correct in any ring.

TheJenners
Mar. 7, 2012, 09:56 AM
hmmmmmmm, I must be in the minority then as I do not like dress boots at all! :D
Add me in, too. I was aghasted as I read each post extolling the virtues of the dress boot in Hunterland. :eek:

I too remember longing after my first pair of field boots. The laces were oh so adult-like.

witherbee
Mar. 7, 2012, 11:20 AM
I think the older-style dress boots were somewhat clunky. I too started out showing in dress boots back in the 80's, but was happy to switch to field boots as the trend changed. Even happier to switch to zippers! Now I am doing both dressage and hunters, so would love it if dress boots are appropriate in both disciplines. The new dress boots are much sleeker with the zippers.

Gil's Girl
Mar. 7, 2012, 11:36 AM
I showed in well cut dress boots all through my junior years - 2000ish, god that sounds long ago! - I don't really know why now, they were just what I had that fit well! But I did hunters and eq on the A's in them, and all I wanted were field boots to fit in. Now that I have them though, I kind of miss the look of the dress ones. Now I don't like standing out as much, so I'll stick to fields - my riding isn't as good as it was - I can't get away with being different:)

WARDen
Mar. 7, 2012, 11:55 AM
Dress boots are timeless and classic.

I will agree that juniors in the Eq at the rated shows are starting to wear them more frequently. I love the look of them, especially with the more tailored look around the ankle.