PDA

View Full Version : Selling a truck: Craigslist, dealer, or consignment?

didgery
Mar. 5, 2012, 11:28 AM
Edited to update: Sold today via Craigslist!

I have a pickup truck on Craigslist. It's an awesome towing vehicle but totally ridiculous as a daily driver, and with gas prices being what they are I can't justify keeping it when I only trailer once or twice a year.

Is Craigslist a good way to go when selling a vehicle?

There's a local consignment place that is willing to sell it for me, and I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. They don't take a percentage—just an arbitrary amount that they tack on top of my suggested price. They do detailing, marketing, etcetera.

Any other free/cheap online resources I should look at?

wildlifer
Mar. 5, 2012, 12:06 PM
I sold two on craigslist -- one in a trade and one a straight sale, so it worked out ok for me. You have to answer a lot of questions, but hey, it's free.

didgery
Mar. 5, 2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks wildlifer . . . I've been frustrated about getting only spam in the first 24 hours, but I guess it's too early to worry.

JanWeber
Mar. 5, 2012, 06:01 PM
Depends on the truck. I couldn't sell my POS F-350 on Craigslist (did plan on full disclosure of its "issues" and compensating with low price). Not one call. Too many other trucks on there. The dealer sold in through a wholesaler and gave me the proceeds. (I think at that point, they were trying to help me out for fear I would continue to bitch about the truck until something was done).

BasqueMom
Mar. 5, 2012, 06:23 PM
We sold our 1996 F250 7.3 through a local independent dealer....he charged a 10% fee. It was gone in a week...no hassle with phone calls, strangers
coming to our place (in the middle of nowhere and DH often works evenings).
His lot was right on I-35 where it got lots of people seeing it driving by.

didgery
Mar. 5, 2012, 06:47 PM
Basque, that's what I'm tempted to do . . . the guy who's offering to sell it for me has a good reputation and a great location, and we're out in the boondocks where no one will ever see it at our home!

Jan, this truck is in pretty good shape but you're right, there are a lot of trucks out there on the web—especially now that everyone's paying $4 at the pump!

Everythingbutwings
Mar. 6, 2012, 07:56 AM
I think it depends on where you are located. We're in Northern Va and sold on Craigslist our 20 + year old F350 7.3 dually within a week and our Volvo XC70 that I thought we'd have to donate for the tax write off as well.

JanWeber
Mar. 6, 2012, 08:39 AM
Just a clarification: my F-350 was the 6.0L Powerstroke diesel. The 7.3L were a gift from the gods. Sold mine to another CoTHer (now, of course, wish I'd kept that one and sold the newer one before it blew up!)

awaywego
Mar. 6, 2012, 09:27 AM
It depends on your asking price....if you're looking for over $10k, you will do better selling via consignment as people buying on CL tend to be cash buyers. Over $10k tends to involve financing, and most people think they need to go through a dealer for that (which of course isn't true...but that's what people do!).

Good luck - and if you do go on CL, make sure you have good photos!

JackSprats Mom
Mar. 7, 2012, 07:10 PM
As a buyer I prefer CL's as its a better price then a dealer who marks it up

didgery
Mar. 7, 2012, 07:51 PM
I went to the nearest Ford dealer and got a positively embarrassing offer from them—hardly half of what I think it's worth. I'm going to keep trying CL!

netg
Mar. 7, 2012, 07:59 PM
Do you have a local CarMax? I know the one around here offers pretty good prices near blue book and for the lack of hassle it's probably worth checking out.

BasqueMom
Mar. 7, 2012, 09:41 PM
A dealer offered us less than half of what the proceeds were from the independent dealer. We thought about trading it in 2006 and two dealers offered us a whopping $3K and 1 offered $6k. We ended up keeping it.
We got $3950 after dealers fee in late 2011 with another 100K plus miles
on it. Go figure.....

didgery
Mar. 10, 2012, 07:56 PM
Sold via Craigslist to a very nice couple today. All's well that ends well!