PDA

View Full Version : Clippers - also posted in Horse Care

Koniucha
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:56 AM
I know this subject has been discussed alot, but I do have some questions. I am looking to buy new clippers. I currently have the huge, old oster clipmasters and the oster golden A5, which I don't mind. I am looking for something strong that I can use on my own mare and also clip horses on the side. I guess I am debating between the Andis AGG2 and the Lister Legends. I know there is a price difference there.

How long do the blades last on each and are they expensive to replace?

chunky munky
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:59 AM
I can't comment on the clippers/prices, etc. but I can say blades last in relation to how clean the horses are!

SquirrellyBred
Mar. 6, 2012, 09:29 AM
Do a quick internet search on the blades. As I recall the T-84 Andis blades run about $30 a pair and the Listers run around $40. If you're going to be doing a lot of horses with these clippers, I would go with the most powerful you can afford. I started off my clipping business with the Andis AGC2's and they are lovely clippers, but not up to the fluffy/dirty/yak ponies I often do. I have Oster Clipmasters and Lister Stars that I mostly use now. However the Andis clippers are very light weight and much quieter than the heavy duty ones - nice for the skittish horses and for working around their heads and legs. Good luck.

outside__line
Mar. 6, 2012, 09:44 AM
I have the Andis AGC2 clippers and they are really nice - lightweight, quiet, get the job done (I only do one horse, though, so can't speak to their performance on multiple horses in a row!) They are significantly quieter than any other clippers in the barn. Very easy to clean or change blades. I like that they are powerful enough to body clip, but I can switch to a smaller blade and do ears/face with the same clippers.

I particularly like them because Andis blades are easy to find in the remote area where we live. I can pick up new blades at TSC. If you live in a rural area with not a lot of tack or farm supply stores, that's a big bonus.

I did notice that on my horse's second body clip this year, he was a little grungy and my clipper blades got dull fast. Not sure if other brands have a longer lifespan, but this was definitely a problem with my clippers. Had to bring them home for DH to sharpen before I could finish clipping. (On first body clip of the year, horse had just been bathed and I clipped pretty much the whole horse with one t-84 blade.)

indygirl2560
Mar. 6, 2012, 10:24 AM
My friend has a pair of Lister Stars and they are great for body clipping. She can clip around 10-12 horses with one blade, (special blade), and they all look fabulous. I was body clipping my horse with my Oster Turbo A5s and they died not even half way through the job, so she let me borrow her clippers. I thought all the lines from my Oster were just me being new to clipping, but her Lister Stars left pretty much no lines, gave nice even cuts, and cut through the hair really easily. If I ever buy clippers again, I will definitely invest in those!

MyssMyst
Mar. 6, 2012, 11:10 AM
I'm a Laube fan. My Litening goes through hair that no other clipper in the barn will touch. I had to take the feather off my vanner cross yesterday, and my Andis choked up and couldn't get through. The Laube went through it like butter.

As far as blades, the best I've found are the Buttercute blades.

Celeritas
Mar. 6, 2012, 01:43 PM
The Lister Stars are my favorite. They are powerful, stay relatively cool, are easy to clean, and do a fabulous job. The blades last a long time, I think my current set has done 6 full body clips and could probably do one more before they need to be sharpened. I think the blades are around $40-45 a set, but it's worth it if you don't have to sharpen them as often.

fordtraktor
Mar. 6, 2012, 01:59 PM
I am an Oster fan -- Had Lister Stars but they got too hot and broke down too often. I went back to Oster and my new Oster Clipmasters clipped 2 horses in a row without getting the least warm.

The other issue with Lister Stars is that the blades they come with are too short (30s), at least when I bought mine. So I immediate had to purchase another set that was a bit longer. Well, I didn't on the first clip as I didn't notice in time, and the horse looked like a hairless cat the cut was so close. He was black and I didn't clip his legs, so the effect was particularly awful -- for your entertainment, here is evidence -- http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2586704630053911905RrIkxR

That pic was taken a solid 2 months, maybe 3 after the shearing. Horrible!

Valley Vet was offering a free set of $125 A5-like clippers with a new Clipmaster at around $250, a good deal if you are in the market. I like the free set pretty well, quieter than A5s. Don't know if they still are but it was the best deal I saw recently.

equinedriver
Mar. 6, 2012, 03:01 PM
The professional clipper here in Aiken that most people use , uses a pair of cordless Andis clippers that are about the same size as the Oster clipmasters. Not sure what the model is but he really likes them. Has used them for a couple years.

Koniucha
Mar. 6, 2012, 06:30 PM
I have the old clipmasters and I hate them. Too heavy, too loud, and hair blowing in my face. Are the new versions of clipmaster better?

Koniucha
Mar. 10, 2012, 09:13 AM
So I think I will go with the andis agc. I know there are two versions. Is the one I want the agc 2 and the other is just agc?