PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lovers Down on the Farm!

Chief2
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:34 AM
I am posting this for all of you eagle lovers! This nest is located on a horse farm which abuts a fishing area in Decorah, Iowa. This is the ultimate in Eagle Reality TV, and airs 24/7 throughout the year. This same pair has lived on this farm for many years. Each year they lay a clutch of eggs, raise their family, and they teach them to fly, hunt and fish. One of last year's eaglets, a female, has remained somewhat near Decorah. The eagles are back, there are three eggs in the nest, and mama is in residence on the nest! I absolutely love this, and follow it every day. When the cam is turned the right way you can see the farmer letting the horses out of the barn each morning, or watch them graze below the nest, which is 80 feet up in the tree. If you turn up the volume, you can hear the wind, the birds, etc. Enjoy!

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

Horse with No Name
Mar. 5, 2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks for posting! :)

JSwan
Mar. 5, 2012, 05:46 PM
Cool!

Today, while driving, I saw an immature Bald Eagle being harassed by crows. Made my day. Every year I see more of them.

HannahsMom7
Mar. 5, 2012, 06:52 PM
thank you so much for posting this. I used to watch a falcon nesting somewhere in a city.

this will be great!!!!

My Two Cents
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:12 PM
This is the third year this pair has had three eggs. The female that hatched last year was fitted with a GPS device. It was very interesting to track her travels. She has now returned to the Decorah area. It is somewhat rare for all three babies to survive because they grow so fast after hatching that the first one hatched has quite a size advantage over the last hatched. I have been to see the nest. It is HUGE. It is in a tree in someones yard. It is kind of fun to see what the parents bring to feed the babies. Usually fish from the hatchery but sometimes there are other vermin to identify. There was a rumor that they brought a cat for dinner once last year but it turned out to be just that, a rumor. But I can see how it could happen. We've had kittens stolen by hawks.

It is kind of fun to watch the horses in the back round. I wonder how many other cams are out there that have such a view?

Chief2
Mar. 6, 2012, 04:18 AM
Last year was my first year watching it and I loved it! I kept it running in the lower right corner of my computer while I worked. Took some of the stress right out of my day. You are right, the first hatched eaglet ended up with a large size advantage over the last hatchling, and I was afraid for a while that that the little one would get shut out of the food, but the parents did a good job of including it in the feeding times. Such lousy weather for the parent to have to sit on that nest through. Glad it's not me!

Chief2
Mar. 6, 2012, 04:22 AM
Cool!

Today, while driving, I saw an immature Bald Eagle being harassed by crows. Made my day. Every year I see more of them.

Last year we had 23 pair nesting along the Connecticut River, with 18 successful breedings. But I think there must be more than that because we have many waterways that are not included in the count (I don't know why), and the immature ones fly around here quite a bit.

witherbee
Mar. 8, 2012, 04:08 PM
I had a bald eagle attack one of my roosters as I watched from my home office window. I went screeching out there to scare him away (he had my rooster pinned against the no-climb fence), and a flock of crows came and attacked the eagle as it flew up. My rooster was okay, but I build him and enclosed coop after that. They are magnificent birds, but tough to watch them attack a family pet. I really enjoyed the videos and the live cam!

FalseImpression
Mar. 9, 2012, 08:18 PM
My husband just witnessed a pair of them yesterday. They had found some kind of weasel on the ice. They are not very common in our area, but in the last few years, we have seen a pair near the river, mostly in the winter.
Today, there were hundreds of tundra swans in the same area. This is highly unusual in our area. They usually stop near Lake Huron.