PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Show "Must-Haves"

Gnomeland
Mar. 4, 2012, 09:28 PM
What are some things you can't live without at shows that people might not think of?

TheBrightSide06
Mar. 4, 2012, 09:36 PM
As absurd as it sounds, a small block of wood tied to the stall with twine...the horse HAS to crib. If he doesn't crib, he's...unpleasant to be around... :)

ETA: Also have to show with my lucky socks. Hot pink soccer socks, every single show!

supershorty628
Mar. 4, 2012, 09:38 PM
I have a coin with a little clay sloth attached to it that is always in my right pocket when I'm showing. Have to have him with me!

rugbygirl
Mar. 4, 2012, 09:39 PM
As absurd as it sounds, a small block of wood tied to the stall with twine...the horse HAS to crib. If he doesn't crib, he's...unpleasant to be around

This made me smile. You're a good horse owner.

This brought to mind images of "Dads" running back inside to retrieve some girly princessy item that their toddler NEEDS to have.

:lol:

I NEED to have safety pins, but I haven't remembered them for a single show yet...

Oh, and a Sharpie marker. Permanent black marker. I seem to need this at every single horse event I attend. It's just very handy.

rustbreeches
Mar. 4, 2012, 09:41 PM
My mom never took us to a single warm weather show without packing a large tupperware of oranges, cut up into "smiley faces", ie the peel left on, so when you smiled, you had orange teeth. Icy cold orange slices were great to keep you going in the heat

Rel6
Mar. 4, 2012, 09:58 PM
When I was younger, a plastic fork. I would stick it under my helmet to itch my head, because once my hair was done and that helmet went on I was loathe to take it off!

Now: scrunchies. A woman can never have too many hair scrunchies.

LookmaNohands
Mar. 4, 2012, 10:20 PM
I make sure I bring my horse.

I know someone who forgot there's once.
:lol::lol::lol:

Ibex
Mar. 4, 2012, 10:26 PM
Pre-moistened towelettes - the good ones - kept in a cooler. Great for wiping off your face and hands, and they usually smell great so you can delude yourself into thinking you're not as hot, sticky and dusty as you actually are :D

Cruise Control
Mar. 4, 2012, 10:36 PM
Ibex, towelettes in the cooler...Brillant!!!

Fruit salad
mounting block/step up
Three ring binder with a page for each horses medical papers

karlymacrae
Mar. 4, 2012, 10:39 PM
I love love love cold orange slices at shows. I've forgotten my saddle. And a Sharpie is never forgotten!

mvp
Mar. 4, 2012, 10:54 PM
Cactus cloth.

Seam ripper in the hunt coat pocket.

I have pull on boots, you see, vanity and a thin wallet, so....

Stern instructions to trainer: "If I am unconscious in the ER, it is YOUR JOB TO MAKE SURE THE BOOTS ARE CUT OFF AT THE SEAMS ONLY."

kateh
Mar. 4, 2012, 10:54 PM
Reese's, to appease trainer when necessary.

karlymacrae
Mar. 5, 2012, 12:54 AM
Reese's, to appease trainer when necessary.

kmwines01
Mar. 5, 2012, 02:02 AM
Sharpie, deodorant, and a few spring clamps like this http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hand-Tools-Fastening-Tools-Clamps-Vices/h_d1/N-aq5eZ5yc1v/R-100027346/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

Very handy for holding stuff or if you're alone and need a neck twitch for a clip job or other unhappy horse activity.

Simbalism
Mar. 5, 2012, 02:19 AM
I like a small spray bottle with water (keep in cooler) and then spritz face/neck to cool off. I also like a wash cloth( wet and keep in zip lock bag) in the cooler for when you really need to cool off very nice on the back of the neck on a hot day. Any fruit kept really cold in the cooler.

intrepid
Mar. 5, 2012, 02:50 AM
Sounds nuts, but Urban Decay "All Nighter" makeup setting spray (http://www.urbandecay.com/all-nighter-makeup-setting-spray/237,default,pd.html). I'm not saying I put on tramp makeup to show, but at my age I won't go out bare-skinned. This stuff is great because you spritz a little on and it prevents anything shifting, plus it's really nice and refreshing on a hot day.

bumknees
Mar. 5, 2012, 06:47 AM
I know once upon a time used to be a staple in every trunk
dipity do not sure they make it any more...
now though.
a few bucks sutck in an pouch just incase need a drink/ food or something other than what is in the cooler.
Staple gun
more screw eyes(like 14) than I know what to do with

SarahandSam
Mar. 5, 2012, 07:35 AM
A cooler full of Coors Light (for after). Normally I'm a beer snob, but a Coors Light on a hot day just tastes like awesome water. (:

myalter1
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:01 AM
intrepid.. i don't go out bare faced.. and I am 36..I won't even go ride my horse without make up on. NOT that i am done up like a hussy..i just feel naked and look sickly without it!

LOVE that spray idea. Will have to try it.

skittlespony
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:06 AM
Electrical tape in case my boot zipper refuses to zip or busts open. :)

This Weird Quirk
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:36 AM
Bacon... Eat it every morning before showing.

Ainsley688
Mar. 5, 2012, 10:07 AM
-A bucket full of double ended snaps-you ALWAYS need those!
-Nozzle for the hose. They just make like easier!

My mom always had baby wipes with her, they are perfect for wiping down your face/neck/hands to get a little bit clean!

TrakeGirl
Mar. 5, 2012, 10:44 AM
I have three absolute must haves:

1. Black duct tape (holds better than electrical and has more uses).

2. Tequila.

3. Rags - for quick wipe downs of boots, tack, green slober on face.

molly8it
Mar. 5, 2012, 12:09 PM
I freeze water bottles the night before -- water stays nice and cold and they can double as an ice pack/neck cooler.

Protein snacks -- hard boiled eggs, string cheese -- for when there's not time to sit and eat but you need something to keep you going.

Bottle of nice white wine chilling in the cooler, for celebrating or drowning sorrows.

besttwtbever
Mar. 5, 2012, 03:38 PM
and a few spring clamps like this http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hand-Tools-Fastening-Tools-Clamps-Vices/h_d1/N-aq5eZ5yc1v/R-100027346/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

Very handy for holding stuff or if you're alone and need a neck twitch for a clip job or other unhappy horse activity.

THIS. IS. BRILLIANT!!!

allicolls Aefvue Farms Deep South
Mar. 5, 2012, 04:41 PM
Zip ties!

pryme_thyme
Mar. 5, 2012, 04:52 PM
I have a coin with a little clay sloth attached to it that is always in my right pocket when I'm showing. Have to have him with me!

:D That is great! My sister used to have her favourite toy Troll with her... you know the ones with the plastic bodies and fluffy hair. :lol:

JumpingAddict93
Mar. 5, 2012, 05:13 PM
I always had to do the sock thing.... i just got a new pair i wont wear till i start showing again...they are my mares colors....LIME GREEN and black...i save the crazy zebra ones for schooling :)

jaybee
Mar. 5, 2012, 05:16 PM
I make sure I bring my horse.

I know someone who forgot there's once.
:lol::lol::lol:

I can't even imagine...bet they never lived that one down!

toxicity
Mar. 5, 2012, 05:58 PM
Contact rewetting drops. After a couple drops in each eye, they feel like you just put in new contacts. Necessity at shows because of all the dust.

JenEM
Mar. 5, 2012, 06:07 PM
I freeze water bottles the night before -- water stays nice and cold and they can double as an ice pack/neck cooler.

I do this too, but I usually only freeze 2/3 of a bottle, in something like a Nalgene, and add cold before I put it in the cooler. Works as an ice pack to keep everything else cool, and I have cool water when I'm done showing. But I learned the hard way not to freeze Gatorade, because I almost ended up with pink breeches after opening a still half-frozen bottle of that! :lol:

Mints for the mare, assorted rags and towels, duct tape, and WD40.

Crazy-Pony
Mar. 5, 2012, 06:23 PM
On my only pony, our must have was gatorade! He'd tilt the bottle back and drink. Now, my must have is an extra dress sheet. One of the kids (usually me) always forgets their barn (now show!) coat, and they use it to keep warm.

Wholehearted
Mar. 7, 2012, 01:03 AM
Mike's Hard Lemonade and watermelon (horse loves it too!)

Prime Time Rider
Mar. 7, 2012, 01:11 AM
White wine and a corkscrew!

seabreeze
Mar. 7, 2012, 09:40 AM
Alka Seltzer Plus for a headache (sun & heat can get to me)
Baby wipes (love the idea of putting them in the cooler!)
Large empty gear bag (to collect all the stuff that gets tossed here and there...hate having that stuff all over the truck & trailer)
Baling twine & duct tape

NancyM
Mar. 7, 2012, 10:09 AM
A pen, for writing jump off courses on the back of my hand. Useful for walking the jump off course prior to the class starting, and checking where you need to go if you get into the jump off in those few seconds you get before the whistle to go if it is an "immediate jump off" situation.

trubandloki
Mar. 7, 2012, 10:40 AM
Scissors. Someone always needs them.
Paper of some sort. Another thing that there never seems to be any around and is always needed. And the sharpie that someone mentioned earlier.

ponymom64
Mar. 7, 2012, 10:46 AM
Mike's Hard Lemonade and watermelon (horse loves it too!)

Mike's Hard Lemonade - fo sho! Or Twisted Tea :yes:

Eggplant_Dressing
Mar. 7, 2012, 10:48 AM
Tape lint rollers and small bungie cords.

witherbee
Mar. 7, 2012, 11:08 AM
There is a theme here with the booze - typical COTHers lol!

Love the make-up spray idea Intrepid - they may see a rise in sales after this thread!

I have to have my 3 stair mounting block - my guy is over 17h, so no leaping on for me.

I like to have grapes in the cooler and some apples for my horse (I usually take the first bite to make it easier for him to grab, but sometimes we "share"). Frozen water - good idea to do half and half as I have had water that did not unfreeze. Make sure to not over-fill - they will explode.

I like to have those canvas chairs too, although I rarely get to sit.

Lots of clean rags for me and my horse.

Vesper Sparrow
Mar. 7, 2012, 11:14 AM
I prefreeze damp washcloths in plastic bags in the freezer and then put them in the cooler on show day. Got this idea from a COTHer and it is a great way to cool down after you ride.

The bottle of wine sounds like a great idea but usually the only time I have to chill out during a show is at lunch and then I am riding afterward. After I ride, the barn is always rushing to get packed up and go home. :(

Piadosa
Mar. 7, 2012, 12:06 PM
Mike's Hard Lemonade - fo sho! Or Twisted Tea :yes:

Haha the first time I ever got drunk was off of those at a horse show as a teenager.

When I was showing I always had my mom with me as my driver/groom/horse-holder/cheque writer. It was very important to bring something comfortable for her to sit on in the barn while I was busy with my horse. Gotta keep the momma happy!

I like to use trailer ties to hang water buckets. My show horse tended to thrash her buckets around at night and break twine, or make too much noise if I used chains.

If I'm showing with a group I always bring my own muck bucket, fork, and broom. I hate waiting to others to be done with them so I could muck my stalls.

If showing away from home and there may not be access to laundry, I pack an excess of standing wraps, towels, saddle pads, stuff like that.

Lots of advil, lots of water. Protien bars are great if you are showing multiple horses and taking care of them yourself, as there isn't always time to eat.

bits619
Mar. 7, 2012, 02:33 PM
I definitely agree to the extra gear bag as someone else mentioned. It's amazing how stuff scatters all over the stables!

Handy-wipes and spray sunscreen are pretty much standard for me, wherever I go. I'm messy and pale lol :)

DressageOverFences
Mar. 7, 2012, 03:13 PM
must haves for me are baby wipes, bailing twine, rope (for hanging blankets and saddle pads), my own pitchfork (otherwise it seems like theyre always broken), and zip ties.

Burbank
Mar. 7, 2012, 03:38 PM
baby carrots, one of the few things I can eat due to nerves and my horse likes to share and gatorade, just water and I get a headache so I have to drink gatorade to

dani0303
Mar. 7, 2012, 08:02 PM
Hot Hands and Toasty Toes for cold weather shows!!

PlatinumEdition
Mar. 7, 2012, 08:35 PM
Flipz white chocolate pretzals in an ice box :D the best treat after a long day!

lucyeq
Mar. 7, 2012, 08:40 PM
My lucky charms (a broken leather bracelet with my first horse's name on it in my track truck and a horseshoe ring on my finger) and lots of baby wipes! I drink a lot of tea and feed my horse lots of peppermints :)

HazelG
Mar. 7, 2012, 08:49 PM
Rescue Remedy.

Pally
Mar. 7, 2012, 09:26 PM
Extra socks. Extra everything else too...but especially socks.

klmck63
Mar. 7, 2012, 09:34 PM
Lots and lots of zip ties in different lengths. I always seem to wind up using them for everything!

Green Acres
Mar. 7, 2012, 10:01 PM
White wine and a corkscrew!

Ohhhh, that's the best thing I've read so far!!! :lol: I will have to add that to my list for this weekend's show!

Mukluk
Mar. 8, 2012, 12:09 AM
I always bring a few scantily clad Cabana Boys to serve me fancy drinks with umbrellas and cater to my every whim:D

Gnomeland
Mar. 8, 2012, 08:36 PM
Awesome ideas! :)

sandsarita
Mar. 8, 2012, 09:42 PM
Cactus cloth.

Seam ripper in the hunt coat pocket.

I have pull on boots, you see, vanity and a thin wallet, so....

Stern instructions to trainer: "If I am unconscious in the ER, it is YOUR JOB TO MAKE SURE THE BOOTS ARE CUT OFF AT THE SEAMS ONLY."

Good idea - I had an unfortunate accident last week, and they TRIED to call a level 2 trauma on me. Working in the hospital myself, I know what that entails and while they were putting me on the gurney I made my friend take off all riding equipment as I did NOT want a nure with bandage scissors cutting off any of my riding stuff, boots included. Luckily I was friends with the ER doc that came in, got him to downgrade everything and just concentrate on the parts that were broke. And all equipment was left intact, couple of bones excluded.

Electrikk
Mar. 8, 2012, 10:06 PM
chapstick
my mustache socks
extra hoof picks, because the trailer seems to eat them.
neutrogena face wipes (yay teenager skin!)
neutrogena sunscreen (doesn't make me break out)
a ridiculous amount of hairnets (I think my hoofpicks turn into hairnets)
goldfish (one of the few foods I can eat any time of day)

SarahandSam
Mar. 8, 2012, 11:21 PM
Good idea - I had an unfortunate accident last week, and they TRIED to call a level 2 trauma on me. Working in the hospital myself, I know what that entails and while they were putting me on the gurney I made my friend take off all riding equipment as I did NOT want a nure with bandage scissors cutting off any of my riding stuff, boots included. Luckily I was friends with the ER doc that came in, got him to downgrade everything and just concentrate on the parts that were broke. And all equipment was left intact, couple of bones excluded.

I wish I could have some sort of elven runes inscribed on my boots that would only appear when I lose consciousness, informing scissor-happy emergency responders that they better be facing a legit choice between cutting off my leg or cutting off my boot.

skittlespony
Mar. 9, 2012, 11:07 AM
I don't do it every time I show because if I did I would get really fat. But there is nothing better than chowing down on some Oreos before showing.

I also need a coffee from Starbucks to get that energy up too. :) ahhhh starbucks yummy!

18EB11
Mar. 9, 2012, 11:33 AM
bobby pins !!! always

Jo
Mar. 9, 2012, 11:50 AM
Xanax and/or my frozen margarita machine that plugs into the cigarette lighter in the car. ;)

bumknees
Mar. 9, 2012, 02:07 PM
Fly/ bug spray wipes for humans. I saw them somewhere like CVS, Rite Aid last summer and thought what a wonderful idea and bought a while bunch... now just have to remember where they are...

Extra horse shoes so dont have to pay show blacksmith for his just to put on yours... Just make sure you know which shoe goes on which horse if you have more than one horse and which one is right or left front/back etc...

I also carry extra leathers, reins, irons, just about everything I would need to go into the ring exra bits as well maybe not a copy of the one I was using but another bit. Things that were usually cheaper at the tack shops out on town than at show even if same shop... Which is probably why at one time I had something lke 8 girths, 12 bits, and so on so forth etc...

And to add on to what someone else suest abot the note book or folder with the horses information. I have one with the information but that has copies of coggins testing that goes back depending on how long you've owned the horse upto 4 yrs. With any notaton if a name was changed It racing name to barn name to how name that type of thing. copy of bill of sale with amount highlited, insurance policy( copy of that is) etc. Everything and anything that someone may want to see on said horse while the horse is not at home. you never know what weird thing may happen... I've had my new guy since a week before Xmas his note book alraedy has about 75 sheets of paper in it including the transfer of ownership from the Jockey club web site .. In todays world CYA is a good thing...

Mukluk
Mar. 10, 2012, 03:05 AM
Xanax and/or my frozen margarita machine that plugs into the cigarette lighter in the car. ;)

Oh I like that idea! Very clever indeed!!!!!

Catherine Cullen
Mar. 10, 2012, 10:16 AM
The thing I really hate to forget is one of these ladders:
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Ladders-Step/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbtt8/R-100658398/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

They're the best kind. Mounting block, saddle rack, braiding ladder, chair...

I am actually planning to bolt a nameplate onto mine this year. :yes:

Electrikk
Mar. 11, 2012, 12:26 PM
ohhh and small children! always good to bring small children :)

spacytracy
Mar. 11, 2012, 07:56 PM
We need to know where to get such a thing (in reference to the margarita machine)

Jo
Mar. 11, 2012, 08:05 PM
This is the one I have - not sure why it got such poor reviews...?

http://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-MSB-585-Margarator-1-Gallon-Margarita-Making/dp/B000JECQ8Q

CVPeg
Mar. 11, 2012, 09:10 PM
This is the one I have - not sure why it got such poor reviews...?

http://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-MSB-585-Margarator-1-Gallon-Margarita-Making/dp/B000JECQ8Q

Damn. Go from soaring heights, to possible disappointment. As soon as I heard this existed, I was digging for my Mastercard. The reviews are pretty awful.

Not timely, but the best thing we had for fall shows, was a bag of apples from a nearby orchard, and some chunks of really good cheddar. I became much better friends with my trainer after having that on hand! :cool:

Jo
Mar. 11, 2012, 11:31 PM
When I was Googling - there are several with come with the car adapter. You Margarita fans should be able to find something that works! FWIW - I have never had any issues with ours. :)

lesyl
Mar. 12, 2012, 06:49 PM
I always bring a few scantily clad Cabana Boys to serve me fancy drinks with umbrellas and cater to my every whim:D I hope our barns end up next to each other at a horse show. I am not sure what we will provide other than entertainment, but you all definately sound fun!

Tiger balm is a must have for me.

krfarms
Mar. 12, 2012, 09:49 PM
I never leave home without my 15' hose. It seems like everytime you get to a wash rack the hoses either leak or have the end cut off. Mine has a shut off..usually there are open spickets without hoses, so I never have to stand in line !!

also can we add a chocolate fountain beside the margarita fountain??