PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Diesel questions /Advice Please!!

BellaLuna
Mar. 4, 2012, 09:04 PM
I feel like I have become very educated reading past threads on diesels. I just want some "real life" opinions.

If age, price, mileage were the same...

Would you buy a Chevy 6.6l without the Allison tranny?
Would you buy a Ford 6.4l over the 6.6l w/o the Allison tranny?

Seems to me like folks think the Allison is really important. Is it?

Thanks!!

vineyridge
Mar. 4, 2012, 09:42 PM
From what I've been able to discover, you'd be better off avoiding the Ford 6.4. While it isn't as bad as the 6.0, it's supposed to still have problems.

I have no idea about a Chevy without the Allison transmission.

WildBlue
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:00 AM
We've put almost 40K miles on an '09 Ford 6.4L with zero problems.

It'd take some legwork, but can you track down and call several good auto mechanics? Ask them what their experience is with the two trucks you're considering.

wildlifer
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:17 AM
Keep in mind that the new Allison trannies are NOT the same transmission that earned Allison their legendary name on tractor trailers. A source inside Chevy has told me that Allison does not even build the tranny, but just puts their brand on it. So use some judicious critical thinking and don't just fall for hype or anecdotes. Yes, folks THINK the Allison is important, but really, the most important thing about any truck is (1) maintenance and (2) driver.

As for the 6.4L, it's been hit or miss. Some have been great, some not so much. Problems mainly with the twin turbos and 57 radiators (ok, maybe only six or so, but still...). To get to the turbos when they do age out, you do have to have a shop that can lift the cab off to get to them -- not difficult if they are equipped to do so, but not likely something you can do at home if you are inclined to such things.

That said, if you keep your air filters clean, your turbos should run a good long time. Mine's a 140K and doing just fine.

rmh_rider
Mar. 5, 2012, 10:43 AM
Yes, wildlifer is right - to a certain extent. I had a 2002 chevy with the allison. Now have a 2011 chevy with the allison. It is MUCH more awesome in the 2011 than the 2002. The 2002 allison is very good. Ford can't match it.

Who gives a "tart" WHO made it. So what. Many businesses out source.

Have a read of this article below. You will see some differences in the Allison, and what Ford has to offer. Note the braking differences.

I have drive an allison since 2002. I would never want to be without this tranny. The allison will practically last forever.

Go drive the non-allison, then go drive the allison. HUGE difference. HUGE.

Once you go allison, you never go back. The truck towing allison, wow. Go allison.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11/chevy-vs-ford-in-heavy-duty-rumble-in-the-rockies.html

BellaLuna
Mar. 5, 2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info. Interesting article. I know that road!!

I appreciate the feedback you guys gave me. This is "almost" as hard as finding a horse. I am trying to be as educated as possible to make the best decision.

Thanks!!