PDA

View Full Version : chicken newbie question

TBROCKS
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:03 PM
Sorry if this is a redundant thread - a search didn't turn up anything. I'm a chicken newbie, with 6 little Rhode Island Red pullets now milling about in their warmed enclosure. We've had them about a week, and we bought them as layers. So far they seem to be doing well, and I'm working on getting them used to being handled. I'm getting nowhere with it. If anything, they're even MORE skittish than when we first brought them home! I know that RIR aren't the cuddliest chickens out there, but these chicks run from me like it's King Kong reaching into the box. It seems pretty stressful to them to have me pick them up - should I just leave them? How long does it take before these guys realize you're not a threat? Days? Weeks? Any suggestions for getting on their good side would be greatly appreciated.

ThisTooShallPass
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:11 PM
Just keep at it in a calm manner. Sit calmly holding each & talk to them quietly saying nice things. Got any nice bugs to feed them as you are holding them? You alll the sooner become the wonderful food lady!

TBROCKS
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:18 PM
TTSP they're about a week old, so bugs are ok to add to the diet? Up to now they've been on chick starter only. I'm only going off books and websites for information, and they seem fairly stringent on what to feed them.

eponacelt
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:20 PM
Go get some Happy Hen Treats (aka dried meal worms) and start feeding them on a regular basis. Worked like a charm for our red sex links.

Chestnut Run
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:23 PM
I agree with the above poster. Food is the all around, cross species taming motivator supreme. LOL. WIth ours, I would take the leftover breakfast oatmeal in my hand every morning and just hold it still inside of their cardboard box and wait for them to come. Once they realize the hand always brings food, they'll start running towards it. RIR aren't the cuddlest as you say, but they can be tamed pretty well. My full grown hens that we raised as babies, still come running from wherever they are when I call them.

Sheila

Calvincrowe
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:27 PM
At one week, for me, they are still inside my kitchen in a large cardboard box:lol: so the "Alien Giant Hands" put them to bed every night in a smaller box, change feed/water, etc. I also pick them and cuddle them.

I continue to "put them to bed" until they are quite big (mostly fledged? it's been a three years since I've had babies), which helps with handling.

Now, my last batch of Austrolorps NEVER got tamer, no matter how much I touched them. My Buffs were no problem at all. RIRs are stand-offish, but can be pretty tame. Keep at it, and add treats--you become very popular.

TBROCKS
Mar. 4, 2012, 09:13 PM
Great ideas everyone, thank you so much for the responses. Scooping them up for some petting isn't working, so I'm definitely going to try reaching in and letting them come for treats. Hopefully they'll realize I'm a friendly giant.:yes:

Megaladon
Mar. 5, 2012, 08:39 AM
I love baby chicks. Okay, start talking before you reach down into the pen so they know you are coming. Hard boil or scramble some eggs, give those as treats (there is nothing cuter than watching a chick run around doing the "I got the treat" game). I pick them up by having their head face me and put both hands on their wings, and let their feet dangle. Don't get discouraged, my Golden Comets went through a flighty, scared phase and are now little cocky in-your-face-demanding-treats-hellions. LOL! Good luck and have fun. :)

2DogsFarm
Mar. 5, 2012, 12:45 PM
Chickens are the most food-oriented species I have ever dealt with :yes:

Realize that as prey animals, anything coming from Above is potentially Death-Dealing, so the Giant Hands are not welcomed, ever.
My hens are 3yo and they still do not appreciate being grabbed from above.
If I crouch a bit then pick them up there is less squawking/trauma.

BTW:
when your girls start squatting in front of you - usually around 6mos - get ready for eggs!