PDA

View Full Version : Caring for old, dry saddle....."Tattersalls"

Claudius
Mar. 4, 2012, 07:39 PM
I bought an old Antares....the leather is worn and dry looking. I have found that a product named "Tatersall's" is the best conditioner by far. If I use small amounts on my fingertips and rub it in to the damaged areas it seems to virtually "heal " them....I have to keep after it, but it works so much better than anything else I have tried.

BAC
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:18 PM
I always have some Tattersalls around, I like it a lot. Effax Lederbalsam or CWD Cream Conditioner are also excellent for reconditioning old, dried out tack. I actually use the Tattersalls more for cleaning although it has a conditioning effect as well.

Zu Zu
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks for this information :yes:

I'll try Tattersalls ```

Where do you purchase yours ?

Claudius
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:48 PM
I get mine at the "Tackeria" in Wellington, Fla.

Zu Zu
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks ! :D

I get mine at the "Tackeria" in Wellington, Fla.

FLeventer
Mar. 4, 2012, 11:39 PM
You can get it at most major tack shops as well, dover and smartpak. Love it.

molly8it
Mar. 5, 2012, 11:13 AM
Must try -- I bought a used saddle that came from a humid climate (FL) to a very dry one (UT). I have been conditioning the heck out of it but it still doesn't seem to have acclimated.

BAC
Mar. 5, 2012, 11:20 AM
I buy Tattersalls at the local tack shop, but its in all the catalogs as well (Dover, BOB, etc.). Its been around for ages.

yellowbritches
Mar. 5, 2012, 11:46 AM
I've used Tatersall going on 10 years off and on. Only recently have I truly figured out how to get it to work the best (shockingly, but following the directions on the can), and now I am head over heels for it again. I use it to clean, but it definitely has a conditioning property to it. When I use it right, my tack is soft and shiny. Love.

If you are new to it, READ the instructions. They are simple, but to keep from getting a ton of foam, you have to follow them. Wipe your tack with a damp rag to get the worst of the dirt off. Use a BARELY damp natural sponge (my is more dry than damp most of the time), then rub it in. If it foams, your sponge is too wet. Keep your sponge in the can with the soap. :yes:

FYI, avoid getting it on rubber reins. It is awful on them.

BAC
Mar. 5, 2012, 11:58 AM
Use a BARELY damp natural sponge (my is more dry than damp most of the time), then rub it in. If it foams, your sponge is too wet. Keep your sponge in the can with the soap. :yes:

FYI, avoid getting it on rubber reins. It is awful on them.

Same as glycerine, you don't want lots of water or foam. And nothing should ever get on rubber reins but water, any kind of tack cleaning product or fly spray etc. all are equally bad for rubber.