PDA

View Full Version : Technical Ride

altjaeger
Mar. 4, 2012, 06:32 PM
What does that term mean, exactly?

AmmyByNature
Mar. 4, 2012, 06:37 PM
It just means "not easy." The opposite of push button. Tricky.

ETA: that is when in reference to a horse, i.e. "Susie's horse takes a technical ride." It can also be used in reference to a course, i.e. "The children's jumper course was a pretty technical ride." Still means tricky, though, but can mean the ride a HORSE requires, or the ride a COURSE requires.

Rel6
Mar. 4, 2012, 09:35 PM
I would interrupt it to mean a horse a horse that takes a very correct ride and isn't going to help you out much.

I had one...if you didn't ride every stride perfectly he would take full advantage. He was easy in that a blind monkey could ride him safely, but it would be ugly as sin. He was fond of chipping, cross-cantering, and pulling. If you got a ribbon on that horse you know you earned it.

altjaeger
Mar. 5, 2012, 12:09 AM
Yes, I meant to say what does it mean when someone says a horse is a technical ride.

BTW, what is "pulling"?

Rel6
Mar. 5, 2012, 12:32 AM
Yes, I meant to say what does it mean when someone says a horse is a technical ride.

BTW, what is "pulling"?

A horse pulling on the rider...so not responding to the rider's hands, leaning, dropping their head and basically putting a lot of pressure on the bit which is then transmitted to the rider.

findeight
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:07 AM
It's a nice way of saying a horse is not for the average rider, you are either very good, strong and accurate at getting the horse properly placed at the base or it's not going to get you around well. Sometimes it's just an incredibly talented horse that needs to be contained. Sometimes it's had some training misadventures that ruined it for anything short of an advanced rider. Sometimes the horse is just a jerk.

The opposite would be "Easy" or, my favorite "point and shoot". The rider would need to be able to get it to canter and steer it at a jump but those horses will find that jump regardless of lack of rider input or conflicting directions-also referred to as "taking a joke":lol:.

In sales ads, the term "technical ride" is sort of a yellow flag.

I've looked a a few advertised as "easy rides" and found that were easy for the average Olympian, for me, not so much. So I learned to ask "Easy for who?"