PDA

View Full Version : How did you finance riding/horses in college?

collegialequestrian
Mar. 4, 2012, 05:50 PM
So I have a blog about riding in college and I was wondering if those of you who ride/rode in college would mind sharing how you were able to finance it.

Did your parents help? Did you work off rides or lessons, or did you have a part-time job? Did you live off-campus with roommates or a significant other? Did you have working student job in exchange for board? All of the above?

I'm hoping to get a wide variety of solutions and I'm sure this discussion will be useful to many HS and college COTHers. If I want to use your post as part of my blog, I will PM you for permission.

Mayaty02
Mar. 4, 2012, 05:53 PM
um I didn't? :) My equitation horse was sold after finals, parents gave me a car in replacement and then I only rode on the IHSA team or over summer when I got a job in the barn working off the riding.

silanac
Mar. 4, 2012, 05:57 PM
Im similar to mayaty. i rode NCAA at auburn and left my horse at home. tried for a year to board my horse nearby after my freshman year, but simply did not have the time to ride him enough. i worked over the summers and rode for the team.

GoForAGallop
Mar. 4, 2012, 06:01 PM
Umm, I got a job? :lol:

Throughout highschool my horses lived at home. (Although I have always been responsible for their cost, no matter what my age. First at 14.) When the college search started, I was looking at schools far away, meaning that I'd have to bring my one horse at the time along with me. After considering boarding options, I picked a college close to home, so that my horse (and me!) could live at home.

In addition to being a full time student with a heavy and challenging courseload, I have always worked at least 20 hours a week as well. In the summer I work around 50 hours a week, between two jobs, so that allows me to save up a little bit of money. I have two horses now, and one boarder, who after all the insurance/other expenses is just enough "income" to cover grain and farrier for my two, which is nice. He's here mostly for the company. I am lucky in that I have just opened up about 6 acres for hay, so last year my hay costs were greatly reduced....although for the seven years before that, I've spent approximately $2000 a year in hay, just for my guys at home.

I don't take a lot of lessons, and rarely show. My father is lovely in that he will offer his time (feeding dinner if I have a late class, etc) and the use of his truck to pull my trailer (which I purchased at 16 years of age, before my first car!) but cannot offer any financial assistance.

I should also mention that I pay my own car insurance (and bought my own car), pay for my own gas, buy most of my own clothing, etc. I also picked the local school (UMass Amherst, so it's not like I "settled") because they jumped up and down waving a free-ride scholarship in the air, while the other private schools I applied to couldn't offer anything even close.

Edit: I feel like I should also include that I picked my major/schooling path with an eye to the future. I'm an English major but specialized in technical writing which I paired with an information technology minor. Grads of my particular combination are very high in demand, jobs are plentiful, and the starting salary for a junior position starts at over $60k. That's not just hear-say either; as a senior my professors have been emailing job ads to us, and I have even been contacted by a headhunter. Not that I don't love low-budget horse keeping and mucking stalls in freezing temperatures every.single.day :lol: but I specifically geared my schooling towards careers that would allow for full board with an indoor. ;)

Some of my friends are philosophy/history/art history majors, and while I love them and glad they picked something that made them happy....I just don't know what they're going to do when they actually graduate. No offense to any of those above majors out there, of course.

ponymom64
Mar. 4, 2012, 06:03 PM
My DD, a college freshman rides on her IHSA team and occasionally adds a private lesson with her coach and then she rides whatever her home trainer has available on breaks from school. At this point, I still pay and she will supplement where she can but this will probably be her second to last year riding outside of IHSA, so I'm happy to help out where I can. After next summer, she'll have a full time internship (hopefully) and then onto work after that....

PinkBoots
Mar. 4, 2012, 06:04 PM
I'm a jr/AO jumper in my second year of college. I did well in the scholarship department :) so my parents were still willing to keep paying for a good portion of my horse's expenses and I'm very grateful. I've had to sacrifice some shows because of lack of finances and time, but most of the shows I do are over the summer when I obviously have a lot more time to ride and work! Plus winning money helps :) I also clean stalls for my trainer on weekends and have a job at a local restaurant a night or two a week.

Its definitely tough to manage between money and time, and sacrifices have to be made, but I could never imagine it any other way. I would scrub toilets to keep my horse :) I would say I'm getting through college because of him, not im spite of. I think the work ethic I've learned through being a competitive rider and always working hard to help pay for it is a very valuable lesson.

Rel6
Mar. 4, 2012, 06:41 PM
I didn't have to. I go to SUNY Geneseo, and if you make the team everything is paid for. Lessons, shows, entries, transportation, hotels...we are even given food allowances for horse show weekends.

As far as general riding equipment, either my mother pays for it or I do. It depends on how dire it it. She paid for a new helmet when I broke mine in a fall, I payed for a new pair of tall boots with money from waitressing.

Maybe some others can way in, but how out of the ordinary is it to have your expenses covered? I know clubs have to self-finance, but I always thought my set up was pretty typical for a varsity team.

ETA: I have also gone fox-hunting and showed outside IHSA with my coach's horses, that I pay for myself (not my mother.)

harkington
Mar. 4, 2012, 06:55 PM
I am in my first year of university and live about two hours away from home with my horse boarded nearby.

I live on campus and have the most basic meal plan possible. I don't eat out, which many people do two-three times a week, which is a big cost saver. I bought all of my textbooks used (even if they were an older edition, I made them work) and saved the difference. I buy shampoo, toothpaste and the like in bulk. I haven't bought a new shirt since September and haven't seen a movie since July. I downgraded my cell plan to the most basic one possible (considered getting rid of it all together but decided first year away from home, driving on windy country roads to a new barn, etc. it was probably a good idea to keep it for now, but don't have data, unlimited texting, caller idea and all of the 'extras'). There is a gas station in town that has weekly 'cheap days' that I am always careful to frequent. I don't have cable in my room and have a designated time for my parents to call me so that I am not paying for long-distance. I discontinued my magazine subscriptions and did my Christmas shopping at local farmer's markets, craft fairs and discount stores to get really nice things at less expensive prices. I roll all my spare change and changed to a student bank account to avoid unnecessary fees. I guess what I'm getting at is that I am very careful to watch my money. $20 here and there on odds and ends could be saved for lessons, farrier visits, emergency vet calls and supplements.

I don't have a job while at school this year but worked full time last summer, part-time in high school and plan on full time again this summer. I've applied for a handful of on-campus part time jobs for next year, about 8-12 hours a week. I would like to have a bit more money than I currently do and be able to save some for after school is over.

As far as the darling horse goes, my parents pay board ($400 a month for an older, smaller facility but nevertheless great care, people and instructor. Also is in the middle of nowhere so cheap!) but everything else is on me, and that is the way it has been since I was sixteen. I think this is completely fair and has definitely taught me financial prioritizing. I don't think horse shows are going to be in the cards for the next few years, but I do weekly lessons with a great coach. While I don't consistently work at my barn, I've filled in a handful of days when the regular girls were sick or busy or away. This has given me a nice surplus of lesson credits that should get me through until the end of March as it is right now, and I'm working two days next weekend.

Working here and there, watching my money and having my savings from years of planning is definitely helpful, but what really makes having a horse at school possible is my scholarships. I worked very hard in high school and continue to be a slave to my homework to maintain my grades and money. It is not a big scholarship but enough that I was able to have about $10 000 extra dollars a year than those paying full tuition. By being very careful with my money, giving up showing and a fancy 'A' circuit barn for a comfortable 'B'-style one and trading the occasional lesson for work, it all works out.

I plan on moving off campus next year and not having to pay as much for meal plans and residence fees. This, coupled with a full-time job, may make it possible to horse show at a selected few shows, on a budget, in 2013. But we'll see. I like going out once in awhile, miss movies dearly and would love to do a volunteer abroad trip at some point while in school. I love my horse and want to keep him and it seems to be working, but I don't like shows enough to be really sad about giving them up. Its hard to do it all, but not impossible.

kateh
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:04 PM
I paid for all of my own IHSA lesson and show fees. My parents paid tuition and living expenses during college. During the school year I worked in labs, which would only pay if you qualified for work-study, and I didn't. But my boss would pay me for the summer field season, which was in the middle of nowhere. So I'd earn money and usually not spend anything all summer. Senior year I managed to get a fellowship for my research, so I got a little extra money.

I also usually didn't lesson during the summer because there weren't any good trainers around and my schedule was ridiculous. I did manage to find a free lease for one of the summers though, so I at least got some horse time. Of course, all summer toodling around someone's backyard with no lessons did nothing for my equitation, and I paid for it in September. :rolleyes:

hequestrian
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:08 PM
The only reason I am still able to have my horse, ride, and occasionally show is my parents. I am very lucky to have their support. There is no way I would be able to have a horse/show without their help. They pay for pretty much everything but I am responsible for additional lessons, extra tack, etc. and things that I want versus need.

I have a pretty sweet scholarship but I am still very much dependent on my parents.

I don't show at rated shows and I don't ride with a BNT. If you want to know anything else just let me know but as I am not really financially responsible for my horse I am not sure how much of a help I can be.

hj0519
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:12 PM
Maybe some others can way in, but how out of the ordinary is it to have your expenses covered? I know clubs have to self-finance, but I always thought my set up was pretty typical for a varsity team.

I think it's typical for a varsity team to have everything covered.

I ride on a varsity team and the school pays for everything - transportation to shows, entries, IHSA fees, lessons, USHJA membership fees for anyone who doesn't have it, hotels when we stay overnight, flights to Nationals (for competing riders/coaches), and food at all shows (for all riders, whether they're competing at that particular show or not).

I also have my own horse supported financially by my parents.

ponymom64
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:17 PM
My DD's team is Varsity and all her team expenses are covered, however when she takes an additional lesson, that is my expense

Prima Donna
Mar. 4, 2012, 10:07 PM
So I have a blog about riding in college and I was wondering if those of you who ride/rode in college would mind sharing how you were able to finance it.

Did your parents help? Did you work off rides or lessons, or did you have a part-time job? Did you live off-campus with roommates or a significant other? Did you have working student job in exchange for board? All of the above?

I'm hoping to get a wide variety of solutions and I'm sure this discussion will be useful to many HS and college COTHers. If I want to use your post as part of my blog, I will PM you for permission.

After freshman year, I worked as a waitress in the summer and saved all of my money. I worked as an RA for the next three years which paid decently and I also did work-stody in an office on-campus. I bought a cheap young horse that wouldn't be ready to show or do anything too exciting for a while. I kept her at a partial self-care and only did schooling shows. It worked out pretty well since I still have that horse 9 years later :) I found that riding also kept me more organized and provided a nice escape from being on-campus all of the time.

TB7
Mar. 4, 2012, 10:26 PM
Our college funded at least some of the expenses since a union fee was built into tuition. They funded gas and hotels/entry fees for shows. They also funded part of our lessons, the remainder was charged to our student accounts. I think my parents ended up paying it since it was charged to the student account which rolled into the tuition.

When I got my horse before senior year, I half leased him most of the year and worked off the rest at the barn since I taught lessons and closed the barn some nights anyway. Barn charged me an employee discount for board so I still was able to make some money (to cover his vet/farrier bills). I also worked summers co-running the horse camp and then opening/closing most days in the summer since I tended to live on the property for the summer.

Rest of the year I occasionally closed the barn and picked up a campus job as well.

The issue became AFTER college and after the last summer when I had to take my horses home and pay about 4x as much as I was paying near school (also didn't work off board either). This was a few years ago when you essentially had to PAY to take an internship post graduation and not even the engineers had job offers.

BigEq
Mar. 4, 2012, 10:32 PM
I sold my horse when I left for college, so my parents don't have to pay board on top of college expenses :) The summer before, I went around trialing barns and told them up front that I was used to catch riding. Luckily, I found a barn that was short on riders and they let me ride for free whenever I can - which usually is 2-3 horses twice a week, since I'm taking 17 hours. When I go home (2 hours away), I help pay for lessons and shows by working shows on my local circuit - paddocking, announcing, jump crew-ing.

englishcowgirl
Mar. 4, 2012, 10:39 PM
I bought my first horse two years ago while in college.. She is currently at great barn with a indoor/outdoor setup and we do find time to show. My parents pay all my tuition and housing, but the horse is all me. I work as a cocktail waitress part time and make bank doing so. It more than pays for her ful board and training and all show fees.

overthemoon
Mar. 4, 2012, 10:40 PM
I rented a room instead of an apartment, worked 20 hours a week (weekends), had a friend half lease her so she had someone to play with for ground work stuff, and kept my horse at a LOVELY facilty that was very much geared toward her (lots of turn out, excellent care, etc), and not quite as geared toward me (no indoor, etc).

Then I got an apartment instead of a room, worked four+ jobs while in school full time, didn't sleep, and ended up taking a semester off due to issues with stomach ulcers (hello, stress).

Now I'm rethinking university as I'm realizing many other lucrative career possibilities. So who knows!

chukkerchild
Mar. 4, 2012, 11:13 PM
For my first three years of university I had a lot of help from my parents but only boarded out over the winter, as my parents have a horse facility so it was easier and cheaper to keep my boy there over the summers. I also had full time summer jobs and a part time job working at a barn over those two years. In my fourth year I sold my horse and rode all of that winter on a neighbor's horse while periodically helping out with another friend's horse. I got a new horse this past summer, was working full time and did a few clinics but no showing with him (he hasn't jumped much as of yet.) I couldn't afford to board him over the winter time- or money- wise, as I'm taking course overload in anticipation of graduating. I splurged to board him for the month of December at my trainer's barn, and while it was great, I do somewhat regret it as I am now completely skint. I'm taking six courses and I have a part time job but I only work about eight hours a week, so it basically keeps me afloat and not much else. I also moved out and while my rent is exceedingly cheap and I can now bus from place to place instead of driving, I could definitely not afford board on top of things! Soo looking forward to April when the snow starts melting and I can start schooling my boy again :)

Pony+ an inch
Mar. 5, 2012, 12:01 AM
Well, my parents sold my horse without me knowing which was not part of the plan because I had gotten a ton of scholarship money, both from the school and other sources, so I wouldn't have to take out loans or even tap into my college fund which has now become my grad school fund.

I tried to go without horses for six months and was absolutely the most unhappy child as I was over the college party scene in six weeks, and although involved in practically everything from multiple choirs to my sorority, I hated being so tied down on a small campus. I was very close to transferring on more than one occasion because I seriously felt lost and without purpose.

After advertising "have saddle, will travel" and catch-riding some decent horses, but more often than not, terrible examples of equines including a pony club pony who gave pony club ponies a bad rap and a saddlebred who liked to "jump" ie crow hop everywhere at every possible moment, my mom legit got worried about my safety and consented to helping me get lessons at an actual h/j barn, albeit further than I had intended to travel at first.

Sophomore year new-favorite-trainer-ever had a horse fall in her lap who then landed in my lap as a perfect free-lease scenario, and provided I worked a number of part-time jobs and kept up my grades, my mom paid the other part for the next few years of school. Honestly I was a miserable wretch when I had to take six weeks off from riding once, and my moody-self was more apparent than I thought, since my adviser one day personally sought me out because another one of my professors thought I looked like I wanted my life to end during my riding hiatus and was concerned for my well-being (should add, considering this is a prof that I did not get along with well, I am amazed he paid me that attention). My close friends' first reaction whenever I was in a foul mood was, "um, Pony+, have you been riding at all recently?" And the answer was almost always "no, why do you ask?" LOL. I showed a little when I had time, but honestly doing lessons and clinics was plenty fun.

The big two reasons why I was able to finance horses in college was a) my mom hands-down rocks and cares about my well-being b) a lot of luck. It was the right barn/trainer, the right (saintly, ammie-proof, low maintenance) horse, the right feasible business situation for both leaser/leasee. I am well-aware these kinds of situations don't always happen, so I view what happened to me as a blessing.

NotAtTheBarn
Mar. 5, 2012, 12:41 AM
This is literally the story of my life right now, being at the end of my junior year and trying to plan out how to pay for my horses.

I am on full scholarship, so all I have to worry about with school is keeping up grades to keep the scholarship and pay for gas to and from school (hour drive each way). I live at home to save on living expenses, even though I would love to move out and have space to myself.

I keep my semi-retired horse at home and pay the majority of his farrier and veterinary expenses. My Grandpa and Mom are amazing and help me pay to keep my show horse at a H/J barn in my home town. I pay for all of his vet and farrier bills.

I work at as many odd-jobs as I can; babysitting, house cleaning, house sitting, and pet sitting. I also work as a substitute whenever positions are available at a local private school (do not have as many requirements for teachers as public schools have to) and am looking to get on a more regular schedule there.

I am hoping that I will be able to save enough money to show a few times this summer, but am constantly running the numbers to see how much I can truly afford to show. I have struggled with wanting to work more and keeping up with my school work as much as I would like to, but have decided to put schoolwork as my first priority at all times because truly, my education is more important than earning money so I can go to a horse show.

I am amazed how many people sell their horses when they are preparing to go to school. I think having my horses to ride and care for is what keeps me sane during finals week!

MySuperExAlter
Mar. 5, 2012, 12:47 AM
I am very very fortunate enough to have parents that are willing to continue to support my riding habits through college, and I will be forever grateful to them for that.

Cabaret SK
Mar. 5, 2012, 02:17 AM
I'm very lucky in that I can live at home (University is less than 10 minutes away), and my parents pay for my horse's board. I bought the horse and all his tack, all my riding clothes, and I pay for lessons & clinics. We split showing expenses.

I currently work 3 jobs, 2 part-time and one casual (as a TA) to pay for my car payment, gas, and other things my horse needs. I'm technically a senior, though in my third year of taking classes.

Xbittersweet
Mar. 5, 2012, 12:21 PM
I work extremely hard. As a full time student I also work full time to be able to afford to ride. I go to a school that does not have a riding team, and honestly I probably wouldn't have joined it anyway. I'm not a fan of ISHA and don't enjoy showing all the time. I also pay all of my expenses except rent since I still live at home. I have a great lease that is probably a diamond in the rough. I also sacrifice everywhere else. While my friends go drop a hundred dollars a night at the barn I'll have a single drink or not go out. I don't go shopping, go on vacation, or really even out to dinner I tried the working student route and couldn't stand it. It's just not worth it unless you have a connection to a well know, reputable trainer. It also wasn't worth it because I have no desire for a career in horses

Big_Grey_hunter
Mar. 5, 2012, 12:28 PM
I am very very fortunate enough to have parents that are willing to continue to support my riding habits through college, and I will be forever grateful to them for that.

This.

cnm161
Mar. 5, 2012, 12:40 PM
Dressage rider here, so the ISHA route is less of an option. My school had a club team but there was a stated desire to include only equine science/ag majors, which left this engineer out in the cold. Like many others on this thread, I tried the horselessness for one semester. Although I stayed busy (2 on-campus jobs, club involvement, etc.) I was going slightly crazy without my barn time. Not unexpectedly, 1st semester freshman year was my lowest GPA of my 4 years.

Also like many others on this thread, I have my very supportive parents to thank for my horse time in college. Though I had a full ride and worked a lab job and TA job, my parents paid for boarding/lessons/some showing and occasionally boxes of goodies (new brushes, breeches, or miscellaneous tack) would find themselves at my door via the goodwill of my parents. Seriously. They're that awesome.

Now I've got a full-time engineering gig and support my own pets. But I doubt it would have been possible to get where I am without the support of my parents.

Donkerbruin
Mar. 5, 2012, 01:23 PM
I essentially didn't ride while in college. My alma mater has a very poor equestrian team that I didn't want to be a part of. My horse lived at home with my parents (4 hours away). With a full time class schedule, waiting tables part time, and marching band, there wasn't any time (let alone money) for horses.

SSacky
Mar. 5, 2012, 08:11 PM
I've been super lucky. I tried out for the OUEA (Varsity team) and though I didn't make it, I met a girl who was also in my program who brought her horse down. At the beginning I rode with the University's Riding Club which puts you in a group lesson with 4 other uni students. After a semester, I'd befriended the girl I met at tryouts and she offered to join her lesson and drive me out. The coach is awesome and after riding her horse in the lessons for a bit she offered to let me ride him for free in some other lessons.

I pay 125$ a month for 1 lesson a week with an amazing coach. This comes out of my money, but I budget for it. :) keeps me out of jail

Also, when I go home my old coach always has a bunch of greenies to throw me on free of charge ;) It's a small barn I've been riding at for over 10 years. I'm really grateful for them

DNB
Mar. 5, 2012, 08:43 PM
I'm a first year and was also fortunate to get enough in scholarships and grants for my parents to still be able to support my riding. My grandparents also help pay for school which helps even more. I ride for my school and keep my horse at my trainers still which is only about 2.5 hours away. I have 2 jobs in the summer that help pay for the miscellaneous stuff that I need for riding.

dghunter
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:15 PM

This as well. I just graduated in May and they supported me all through college and still help me (though not with horse related expenses).

cadance
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:21 PM

Same here. My parents bought me my first horse this past year as a senior in college, can't believe how lucky I am and as well am super grateful.

Opus1
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:30 PM
My college had their own barn and horses (like 200 yards from the dorms) and I signed up for beginning equestrian classes. Which tacked on an extra $1,500 a semester in fees. But considering I got 2 lessons a week with a fairly BNT / R rated judge, unlimited trail and practice rides and got to compete Walk-Trot in IHSA, it wasn't a bad trade off.

Being that it was included in my college costs, the State of Georgia and Uncle Sam paid for my riding career. (OK, fine. I'm sure Wells Fargo paid for some of it as well.)

I'm very grateful. Had it not been for that class, I would have never gotten into riding at all, aside from the walk-only trail ride.

reay6790
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:47 PM
I am lucky. I go to a university 3 hours from home that wasn't expensive to begin with, but with scholarships and academic achievements, is less than $1000 a semester. So I got to keep both horses. My mom is a horse woman, and we could never, EVER sell my boys. I have had them for 5+ and 10+ years respectively.

I actually brought my XL pony (short stirrup horse) to school and un-retired him to keep my leg strong, and I drive home (6 hr round trip) every weekend to ride my AA / A/O horse. That way I do not have to pay for training rides.

I started eventing my XL pony at college, and do about 4-5 events a year with him. I'm down to about 8-10 shows on my A/O horse from 12-15 during high school.

I tried the no horse during the week thing during freshman year...and that went horribly.

I guess I am spoiled. I do not buy expensive clothes and accessories, unless you could horse things, in which I probably have a problem with.

Kalele
Mar. 6, 2012, 02:51 AM
I didn't ride during college very much. Honestly though looking back on it (I graduated five years ago) I'm glad I had the "normal" college experience. I had a blast in college and for the first time ever didn't need to worry about taking off a weekend or making sure my horse got ridden enough, etc. My parents shelled out a ton of money for ten years of me riding and showing, and they said college was for college so unless I wanted to pay for my riding costs myself, I was SOL.

I was already moving far away, had never had a job before and including the stress of college, I chose not to bring him. Even if they did agree to pay during college they both made their own money and I know they wanted their own children to do the same. When I graduated I didn't make enough money to support a horse -- just the basic costs -- and I would have probably had to sell him anyway. But I'm back now and have a great barn, got back in the show ring and should be able to afford my own horse soon enough :)

I lost out on a few years and really, if I had TRULY wanted to I could have, but I don't regret it at all. You go to college once and horses will be in your life forever.

morganpony86
Mar. 6, 2012, 10:40 AM

I didn't bring my horses with me to college until sophomore year. I went to school 900 miles away from home, so that first year it would've been too much.

My parents did not help; their requirement was if I brought my horses to college, I had to pay for them. But, they were helping me with tuition and living expenses.

I lived off-campus with roommates. Where I went to school, cost of living was cheaper than most areas.

I had an excellent part-time job (~20hrs/week) that paid for the horses, lessons, and showing on the competitive local circuit.

mepkkg
Mar. 6, 2012, 11:19 AM
The big two reasons why I was able to finance horses in college was a) my mom hands-down rocks and cares about my well-being b) a lot of luck. It was the right barn/trainer, the right (saintly, ammie-proof, low maintenance) horse, the right feasible business situation for both leaser/leasee. I am well-aware these kinds of situations don't always happen, so I view what happened to me as a blessing.

This sounds a lot like my situation. I found a great barn with and a great free lease that allows me to ride 3/4 times a week on the days I don't have class and show at local shows every so often. I'm so grateful that my mom has supported me through all this. Like you I had a pretty big chunk of scholarship money, it was just justifying to dad the extra horse expense that was the problem :D.

I took time off of riding my first semester I was at school and joined a sorority and got involved around campus. Now as I'm approaching senior year I still live in the sorority house and have held numerous positions but get to do my riding thing on the side which has made a world of difference in my attitude and happiness.

jaybee
Mar. 6, 2012, 11:24 AM
I went to school about an hour away from home, so it was far enough but not too far! My horse stayed at home, and my loving parents covered his costs as my sister moved up to my horse from her pony to keep him in work for me. I went home as often as I could to ride him though! I lived on campus my freshman year and then moved off campus with 4 roommates for the remaining 3 years. Again, my amazing parents covered the cost of school, but I was responsible for food and electric once I moved off campus. I budgeted my money so that some went to the horses (okay, maybe most went to the horses) and some went towards my college life. I didn't go out as often as my roommates did, but I was fine with that because I was doing what I loved.

I worked a couple of jobs during the summers to help off-set costs. The place where my horse is kept at home always had horses to be ridden and during the summers, I would ride anything and everything that I could.

I was a member of my school's equestrian team (club) for 4 years and an officer for 3 of those 4 years (1 year as fund raising chair and 2 years as president). Our club was very lucky in the fact that we were given a decent amount of money from our school that covered most of our IHSA show fees (entries, travel, hotels, etc.) As far as the team went, anything that wasn't covered by the school was at my expense. I was responsible for IHSA membership fees and my lessons. I worked out a deal with my coach and was able to exchange barn work for lessons and I was privileged enough to have her offer me horses to ride just about any time I was at the barn (of course, I would also help out around the barn whenever needed). I am very grateful to her for that saddle time, it helped to keep me sane.:winkgrin:

I may not have gotten the most stereotypical college experience, but I wouldn't say that I didn't experience "college life". It was exactly what I wanted to accomplish while in school and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Jaideux
Mar. 6, 2012, 12:36 PM
1) My younger sister was working off board
2) I worked off board 1-3x/week depending on the time of year
3) Half-leasing out one or both horses
4) Bank o' Dad covered the remainder of board, vet, farrier.

My IHSA fees (for lessons and showing) came out of my own paycheck.

As soon as I finished my masters degree and my sister went off to college and declined to continue riding and take a horse with her, I got full custody and full billing. No complaints! Just stating the fact.

Now that I'm back at school, I still pay for everything myself. My horse money comes from my paycheck because I'm working part time (20hrs/wk). My school money comes from a combination of (really, really awesome) tuition benefits and Sallie Mae loans. My rent/food money comes from a combination of my paycheck and my boyfriend's paycheck.

ahorwith
Mar. 8, 2012, 01:44 AM
I chose to go to a local state school instead of the private university I wanted to attend to bring down the cost of my education. I worked part time through high school to pay entry fees, but now that I'm in college, I only babysit sporadically for money. I'm quite lucky because my parents are willing to pay for everything as long as I maintain my grades. To keep costs down, I keep my forever horse at a family friend's facility and let him be used in a few lessons. My main competition horse is kept at an UL facility an hour away (one-way) from my college where I try to take weekly lessons and compete regularly with her. I do help out around the farm, though, and am able to bargain for some coaching. Additionally, I trailer myself so I don't have to pay hauling fees for shows/clinics/etc. This summer, I will take on a working student position to hopefully reduce my board and training costs, but I honestly have no idea how I am going to continue the fortunate position I'm in training-wise without financial help from my parents.