PDA

View Full Version : Saddles For Narrowed Horses??

Tiffany01
Mar. 1, 2012, 06:44 PM
Hello,

Most of you know my horse Beautiful. I may be getting a used
Stubben Artus saddle in a 31cm. What does that equil to? Im going to try it on Beautiful first to make sure it fits her and me.

lachevaline
Mar. 1, 2012, 06:56 PM
I think Stubben trees span from around 27/28 cm to 32 cm - so I guess a 31 cm would be a fairly wide tree?

Tiffany01
Mar. 1, 2012, 07:03 PM
The reveiws that I've done on them it's a req to med tree. 32cm is a med-wide to wide. It have wool flocking in the pannels.

Tiffany01
Mar. 1, 2012, 07:33 PM
http://www.vtosaddlery.com/saddlefaq.htm

Carolinadreamin'
Mar. 1, 2012, 08:45 PM
I thought you had said once that you were going to work with a saddle fitter? For as many saddles that you have bought for you and your lovely mare that have not fit, I would hope that you'd work with a saddle fitter this time!

Tiffany01
Mar. 1, 2012, 08:56 PM
All of the saddle fitters are "reps" so no I will not be working with a "rep"....as I have no money for a saddle fitter and my budget is Under $600.00. dont ask im not going to fight with anyone on here.

Carolinadreamin'
Mar. 1, 2012, 09:31 PM
Call Stubben and find out.

Better yet, work with a reputable store online that will help you find something that will fit both Beautiful and you. Try Rick's saddlery or Trumbull Mountain.

Based on the many pictures you've posted of Beautiful, I would think something other than a Stubben would fit her better. I would recommend a used collegiate or similar brand.

You can get mad all you want, but when you post here asking for help, people will be honest in offering you advice whether you like it or not. You have had so many saddles through the years that have not fit Beautiful. Why not get it right this time? Quit guessing if something fits. You don't have to spend more than your budgeted amount to get it right.

Ainsley688
Mar. 1, 2012, 09:41 PM
To me, a 31cm. Stubben in a medium/regular tree. Stubben's are pretty curvy, at least the one's I've seen. (And sending tracings to a tack shop that does saddle fitting only cost the the price of paper/curve/postage...I strongly suggest doing that!)

HuntJumpSC
Mar. 2, 2012, 02:30 AM
Can't really give any advice on the Stubben's as I am not that familiar with the fit. However, my boarder, whose wb/tb cross will be 6 this spring and is 18.2 (yes, that's correct) & still growing, had to go with a Stubben as that was the only saddle she could find at The Tack Room in Camden that would fit both her (at 6' tall & all leg) and her horse without going custom.

Have you tried one of the saddle brands that have the interchangeable gullets, along with a knowledgeable fitter who can help? That may be a better option than buying yet another saddle that won't work out in the long run.

Long Spot
Mar. 2, 2012, 02:54 AM
Tiffany, have you called all your local tack shops to see if any of them have a saddle fitter on staff that is not a rep? One of the shops I use has a fitter on staff and she brings out many different saddles and we try them on the horses and she picks the ones that fit the horse and then we are able to ride in them for a week or so to see which saddles work for the rider.

She's not a rep, so she's not trying to push a particular brand, and she doesn't charge anything if we purchase a saddle from her shop. If we don't, it's only $50 for her time.

cleozowner
Mar. 2, 2012, 07:36 AM
I have a saddle fitter who travels through PA who reps for 2 brands but has flat out told people that the different tree style, etc. of another brand will work. If she sells you a saddle of her 2 brands that doesn't work, she's not doing her job. Trust me, Tiffany, it's worth the investment!

pattnic
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:08 AM
For Stuebbens, as a general rule:
28 - Narrow
29 - Med-Narrow
30 - Med
31 - Med-Wide
32 - Wide

There are some 27s and 31.5s... the 31.5 is a different tree and therefore will fit differently (and doesn't fit into this generalization). Stuebbens often run narrow compared to many other brands. My medium tree Dover Circuit Eventer (which ran a bit wide) fit wider than my 31cm Stuebben. A med-wide Stuebben is more like a med to med-narrow compared to a lot of other saddles. They seem to be designed for more of a TB type.

Event4Life
Mar. 2, 2012, 10:38 AM
Tiffany, have you called all your local tack shops to see if any of them have a saddle fitter on staff that is not a rep? One of the shops I use has a fitter on staff and she brings out many different saddles and we try them on the horses and she picks the ones that fit the horse and then we are able to ride in them for a week or so to see which saddles work for the rider.

She's not a rep, so she's not trying to push a particular brand, and she doesn't charge anything if we purchase a saddle from her shop. If we don't, it's only $50 for her time.

Unfortunately in Tiffany's area (I lived there a year and a half for college), tack shops are few and far between, especially ones with English stock. I gather that is one of the reasons Tiffany has had such a difficult time finding a saddle. I always waited until I was home to buy anything for my horse that required any kind of fitting, because it was too much of a pain in the a** at school.

Tiff I would speak with a company like Trumball Mt which will work with you over the phone. You obviously have saddles you can use in the meantime (if they are that bad look into corrective padding), so maybe wait until you've saved up more before buying something else just for the sake of it which yet again wont fit?

eclipse
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:13 AM
Tried a Stubben on my Paint mare Dolly (smaller than Beautiful, but still has that type of build) and they did NOT fit!! They don't fit my han either, like somebody else said they seem to fit a slimmer built horse.

Please do not buy a saddle until you can at least try it and check it for proper fit! Most good stores will do a once over and fit for about $50 around here (and then take that off the price of the saddle if you buy it), so I'm assuming you won't have to pay through the nose where you are.

myalter1
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:19 AM
I may be getting a used
Stubben Artus saddle in a 31cm. What does that equil to? Im going to try it on Beautiful first to make sure it fits her and me.

EQUAL.

sorry misspellings drive me insane.

vxf111
Mar. 2, 2012, 12:15 PM
If you can up your spending limit just a little (maybe to around $800/850) you may be able to get a nice, new Thorowgood custom fitted to Beautiful. Kate Wilson from Dutchess Saddlery sells them and she will come to your area. Someone I know has two. They fit the horses well and are nice for the price. Are they going to pass for a Hermes? No, they're not. But they're nice, functional, have interchangeable gullets, and do the job well for the price. You will like Kate, she's not out to "sell you" or upcharge you or talk you into something you can't afford. Tell her what you want and what you can spend and she'll do what she can to make it work.

Tiffany01
Mar. 2, 2012, 01:10 PM
I called Stubben and she said that the 31cmis a med. Im going to try it out of Beautiful and see if she'll let me keep the saddle for a week.

cswoodlandfairy
Mar. 2, 2012, 01:19 PM
I have owned a Stubben Artus for the last 13 years, just upgraded to a Stubben Roxanne. I loved the saddle and is very durable. I wont sell it because I like to so much. It is easy to flock to have it fitted and it most definitely will be a long lasting investment.

I know there are people who love or hate them, say they are hard or not. But my experience has been wonderful with the saddle and I dont find them that soft. If you want to know anymore just PM me.

I called Stubben for my new saddle and they came out and did a fitting, to see what was best for my horse, for free. They are a great company and dont try to get money where they can.

trubandloki
Mar. 2, 2012, 01:26 PM
I called Stubben and she said that the 31cmis a med.
Why do you ask if you are not going to believe the answer anyone give you?

Event4Life
Mar. 2, 2012, 03:05 PM
Why do you ask if you are not going to believe the answer anyone give you?

I think (hope) most who still answer Tiffany's threads know that chances are she will go with the original idea no matter what we suggest.

Tiffany01
Mar. 2, 2012, 05:07 PM
OK so fine ya'll are saying dont get the saddle well what if it does fit? you havent seen beautiful in real life except for Event4Life and Vita one here and even at that my horse has changed shape. Im going to see if the girl is willing to do a one week trial bases. Read Event4Life's post it's true.

eclipse
Mar. 2, 2012, 05:48 PM
OK so fine ya'll are saying dont get the saddle well what if it does fit? you havent seen beautiful in real life except for Event4Life and Vita one here and even at that my horse has changed shape. Im going to see if the girl is willing to do a one week trial bases. Read Event4Life's post it's true.

Please stop stomping your feet like a 2 year old! People did not tell you NOT to get it, we just advised you to get it fitted PROPERLY and find out if it's the correct saddle for you both! If you have no proper saddle fitter near you, or a person in a store that cannot fit a saddle, then I'm sure you can send a tracing of your mare into a fitter and get an opinion. But, somehow I think there'll be another thread just like this in a few months! :yes:

FLeventer
Mar. 2, 2012, 05:53 PM
Please stop stomping your feet like a 2 year old! People did not tell you NOT to get it, we just advised you to get it fitted PROPERLY and find out if it's the correct saddle for you both! If you have no proper saddle fitter near you, or a person in a store that cannot fit a saddle, then I'm sure you can send a tracing of your mare into a fitter and get an opinion. But, somehow I think there'll be another thread just like this in a few months! :yes:

Or next week. On HGS she posted multiple threads about her saddles all the time. Show pics of her riding in it when she got it and all that. This is like the 10th saddle.

Get a fitter, seriously. You are wasting your money on all these saddles when you could have been done with it like a year ago. Another thing, advice is a good thing sometimes. In this case a great thing. We are trying to help you out, not trying to screw you over.

Defensive attitude is on all your posts. Please lose it. It makes you look bad and it makes people tired of helping you. Every thread you have, you create the drama. Learn to just say, "ok, sure" then dump it out of your brain if you don't want to use it. No need to be rude about the posts that people provide for you. Hope everything works, but I have a stubben and I know that it will not work on your mare's back from all the pics that you have posted of her and the other saddles that you have tried.

BAC
Mar. 2, 2012, 06:06 PM
I don't know why anyone even bothers to try and help the OP anymore. She has a belligerent attitude if she doesn't get the answer she wants, she's not really looking for help because she ignores any advice she doesn't like. She just does what she wants anyway, so why bother?

And yeah, I know I'm going to get flamed for picking on "poor Tiffany" and I don't really care.

enjoytheride
Mar. 2, 2012, 06:23 PM
To answer the question, yes a 31 is a medium/medium wide. I think your mare looks pretty wide so it might be too narrow. If you don't have any saddle fitters in your area do you have someone who has a lot of personal experience fitting saddles, especially dressage saddles? That would be the best way.

There is zero way to determine if a saddle fits based on the tree size or even pictures, so you take your chances by purchasing a saddle online.

I see that you can take the saddle on trial which is the very best way. Have someone help you fit in it, ride in it to make sure it fits you, then make or don't make the purchase.

On the chance it does not fit and you have to buy it and can't try it I would make sure you are not paying more then the saddle is worth, and be prepared to wait for it to sell if it does not fit. I have bought plenty of saddles, tried them on, then sold them again, but I have knowledgable people around me to help me with fit, I get them cheap, and I can sell them easily.

Long Spot
Mar. 3, 2012, 01:54 AM
And yeah, I know I'm going to get flamed for picking on "poor Tiffany" and I don't really care.

I think you'll be ok. The "poor Tiffany" train seems to have dwindled down to only the engineer.

ElisLove
Mar. 3, 2012, 03:55 AM
IF you don't have tack stores for saddle fitters ask at an equine vet clinic. We have at least one vet around here that can check saddle fit (may have more but we have plenty of saddle fitters so haven't needed a vet to check it much). Or a massage therapist, some can check saddle fit as well.

Carolinadreamin'
Mar. 3, 2012, 10:32 AM
All good advice. All will be ignored.

Guin
Mar. 3, 2012, 03:06 PM
BAC and Carolina, I love you.

Tiffany01
Mar. 3, 2012, 04:14 PM
It NEVER hurts to try anything. She said Beautifil looks (based on pics) to seem wide but she said we'll found out and she wont steer me wrong she told me....she said she's not out to make money.

cleozowner
Mar. 3, 2012, 04:44 PM
It NEVER hurts to try anything. She said Beautifil looks (based on pics) to seem wide but she said we'll found out and she wont steer me wrong she told me....she said she's not out to make money.

The way UPS has been charging me lately, shipping costs definitely hurt. So does lost time trying a bunch of saddles. I think I've SAVED money using a saddle fitter for this reason.

Tiffany01
Mar. 3, 2012, 04:51 PM
This person that has the saddle lives near me.

sdlbredfan
Mar. 3, 2012, 05:37 PM
Tiffany, take a look at this one (no I am not the seller):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duett-All-Purpose-Compainion-Fox-Hunter-Saddle-/220964894777?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337288b839

I'll betcha that would work well for both of you.

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 12:21 PM
Well the girl came out to the barn this AM to see if the stubben artus would fit Beautiul and well it didnt. First she tried the saddle with no pad and no girth then she loosely girthed it up with no pad then she did the pad no girth then with the girth then the halfpad and the end result?? No it doesnt fit. She recomed a saddle with interchangeable gullets and or a "A" frame saddle. Beautiful she said is narrow at her withers and somthing about her topline. Good news?? We have become friends and keeps her horse up the road from me!!

Gnomeland
Mar. 4, 2012, 01:59 PM
Personally, I would not suggest something with interchangeable gullets. From my experience it ends up that NONE of the sizes fit well which is the opposite of what's supposed to happen. That's just me though. Best of luck continuing your search!

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 03:29 PM
Personally, I would not suggest something with interchangeable gullets. From my experience it ends up that NONE of the sizes fit well which is the opposite of what's supposed to happen. That's just me though. Best of luck continuing your search!

Just Wandering but why? What brands are out there for narrow witherd horses?

mojo7777
Mar. 4, 2012, 03:30 PM
Beautiful sounds like she may have a similar back to my horse. The Collegiate saddles with the medium gullet installed work great for him, but of course you have to try it out. Smartpak has a great tryout program. Good luck!

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 03:32 PM
I need help. What brands of saddle's would you recomed for a narrow witherd horse?

ElisLove
Mar. 4, 2012, 03:34 PM
You already posted a topic on this. Please do not post multiple posts on the same topic.

Quinn
Mar. 4, 2012, 03:43 PM
Tiffany, I know you have said there are no saddle fitters in your area. However, this is precisely what Beautiful needs. A qualified and knowledgeable, professional saddle fitter can help you choose a saddle that will suit both of you. Best of luck. Beautiful is worth every last bit of effort you put into this quest.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 03:47 PM
Thank you!! I have $500 so im just wondering if I save then maybe I can go with a custom made saddle.

sooner
Mar. 4, 2012, 03:48 PM
The older Crosby (Made in England) Prix de Nations were made for the typical TB horse so may work for yours.

AliCat
Mar. 4, 2012, 03:57 PM
You already posted a topic on this. Please do not post multiple posts on the same topic.

Did you forget to log into your moderator account before you posted this?

ElisLove
Mar. 4, 2012, 04:11 PM
Nope, just trying to prevent a clog up on the board so I can enjoy it to the fullest.

HenryisBlaisin'
Mar. 4, 2012, 04:13 PM
I have an older Collegiate, no interchangeable gullet, and it fits more different horses than any other saddle I've known. Mine is a medium tree, from the days when they were still made in Argentina. from the photos you have posted of Beautiful, she looks to be built a lot like my horse. He also has a narrow-ish wither and a wider back, but not the stereotypical QH build that people expect from stock breeds. You can find older Collegiates or Crosbys, which have a similar fit, for relatively inexpensive prices.

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 04:14 PM
I know but ALL of the saddle fitters are REPS. I might just get a Custom Made saddle that fits Beautiful but I'll have to save my money.

Piadosa
Mar. 4, 2012, 04:23 PM
Over the past 12 have worked with three different saddle fitters, and all three were reps. In those 12 years I have purchased 3 saddles. One was from the brand that the rep pushed. The other two, I tried the brand that the rep pushed and they didn't work out. Both reps fitted me with saddles by brands they weren't represented by. They were accomodating to my budget, style preferences, and most importantly, the comfort of my horse.

With the saddle I had before my current one, my Antares rep sat me in a bunch of different Antares and they just didn't work for my body type. Put me in a Verhan, had it adjusted and altered to work perfectly for me and my mare. Plus she gave me free Antares swag!! When I needed it reflocked, the Antares rep was more than happy to set me up with Verhan to get it done.

My friend worked with a CWD rep who was more than happy to check the fit of her Amerigo to make sure it fit her horse.

As long as the rep knows your situation and your budget, there is no reason not to use one.

Guin
Mar. 4, 2012, 05:26 PM
This might be a record. The OP has three duplicate threads going at the same time.

Long Spot
Mar. 4, 2012, 05:55 PM
There was lots of good advice in this thread. http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343935

GoForAGallop
Mar. 4, 2012, 06:24 PM
Also, I don't know why this hasn't been posted yet, but BEAUTIFUL IS NOT A NARROW-TREE CANDIDATE.

I don't care what the random chick with the Stubben from down the road said. The Stubben didn't fit because Stubbens are not designed for horses shaped like Beautiful, which is what almost every.single.person told you on your Stubben thread.

I've seen enough photos of her to guess that she'd be best off in a wider medium tree, possibly even a wide tree of the correct shape. You keep saying all the fitters are Reps for brands, which is not an excuse since almost every rep for a brand will fit other brands as well, or at least give you suggestions of brands to try. FURTHERMORE, Trumbull Mountain or Pelham Saddlery will take tracings of your horse and send you saddles that should fit, for FREE. They do a pretty darn good job and it would be better to have a professional eight states away look at some tracings than to......I don't even know how you're coming up with your current selections.

There is NO excuse for poor saddle fit. The resources (including COTH) are out there--use them! Many have already suggested a Collegiate, and I too personally think that would be a great place to start. There are new models available in your budget, and plenty of used ones for well under.

Carolinadreamin'
Mar. 4, 2012, 06:28 PM
Here is the same information as before, this time with the actual link provided.

Tiffany, the following link is from the online store site of Trumbull Mountain. The link contains detailed information regarding how they will work with you to get the correct measurements of Beautiful. They will then use that information to help find a saddle for Beautiful and you that will fit and that will be within your budget.

http://www.trumbullmtn.com/saddle-fitting/

Tiffany, you do not have to have a saddle made. You can work with a reputable online store to find the right saddle for both you and Beautiful. Trumbull Mountain is just one of many.

No more guessing games with saddles, leading to a depleted wallet and soreness and white hairs on Beautiful. You are smart enough to research saddles, you are smart enough to work with an online store for the right saddle.

vxf111
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:07 PM
I know but ALL of the saddle fitters are REPS. I might just get a Custom Made saddle that fits Beautiful but I'll have to save my money.

I posted a reccomendation on your other thread.

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:09 PM
Also, I don't know why this hasn't been posted yet, but BEAUTIFUL IS NOT A NARROW-TREE CANDIDATE.

I don't care what the random chick with the Stubben from down the road said. The Stubben didn't fit because Stubbens are not designed for horses shaped like Beautiful, which is what almost every.single.person told you on your Stubben thread.

I've seen enough photos of her to guess that she'd be best off in a wider medium tree, possibly even a wide tree of the correct shape. You keep saying all the fitters are Reps for brands, which is not an excuse since almost every rep for a brand will fit other brands as well, or at least give you suggestions of brands to try. FURTHERMORE, Trumbull Mountain or Pelham Saddlery will take tracings of your horse and send you saddles that should fit, for FREE. They do a pretty darn good job and it would be better to have a professional eight states away look at some tracings than to......I don't even know how you're coming up with your current selections.

There is NO excuse for poor saddle fit. The resources (including COTH) are out there--use them! Many have already suggested a Collegiate, and I too personally think that would be a great place to start. There are new models available in your budget, and plenty of used ones for well under.

My mom to also suggested a Collegiate (my very first saddle was one)....but I sold it then it turned up for sale again so I tried it out and I didnt like it.....even tho it was my first saddle. I'll look into it.

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:10 PM
Here is the same information as before, this time with the actual link provided.

Tiffany, the following link is from the online store site of Trumbull Mountain. The link contains detailed information regarding how they will work with you to get the correct measurements of Beautiful. They will then use that information to help find a saddle for Beautiful and you that will fit and that will be within your budget.

http://www.trumbullmtn.com/saddle-fitting/

Tiffany, you do not have to have a saddle made. You can work with a reputable online store to find the right saddle for both you and Beautiful. Trumbull Mountain is just one of many.

No more guessing games with saddles, leading to a depleted wallet and soreness and white hairs on Beautiful. You are smart enough to research saddles, you are smart enough to work with an online store for the right saddle.

I'll make a call to them this week.

cleozowner
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:13 PM
http://www.pattymerlisaddles.com/Contact.html

Patty travels through your area. Yes, she sells Black Country and Kintbury/Kay Hastilow saddles, but I PERSONALLY have had her fit, in addition to the Black Country, a Stubben, a Bates, multiple County saddles, a Prestige, an Amerigo Vega, and a Duett. Magically she didn't just tell me these other saddles didn't fit and I should buy one she sells. In fact, she SUGGESTED the Amerigo saddle for my one mare, even though she doesn't sell them and therefore wouldn't make money on the sale.

Spend the $150 here, then Patty can help you find a saddle that works, so you'll know you need to save X amount of money for a used or new saddle of that make/model.

There. No excuses. She comes to your area, AND she won't just sell you a saddle of a brand she reps if it won't work for your horse.

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:19 PM
yeah well I have NO saddle and how can I AFFORD a saddle fitter AND a saddle?????

Milocalwinnings
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:22 PM
Even if you get a custom saddle for her, you are still going to have to work with a saddle fitter. It will save you a lot of headache, and Beautiful a lot of backache, if you would just work with one now.

And I agree with the poster who said a narrow tree is not going to fit Beautiful. She looks like she is similar build to the gelding I used to have... and he took a medium to medium-wide tree.

ElisLove
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:24 PM
A lot of saddle fitters DON'T charge to come out and fit saddles. they make their money by selling saddles.

Jo
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:27 PM
How can you NOT afford a saddle fitter? You are purchasing NUMEROUS saddles every few months and blowing your money away. Using the WRONG saddle will cause harm to your wallet AND more importantly your HORSE. What happened to the last saddle you bought??? You should've used the $300 you made at the tack swap to pay for a dang saddle fitter!

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:30 PM
the $300 is going towards a saddle tho.

http://www.collegiate-saddles.com/products

my parents are in a middle of a divorce so money is tight.

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:35 PM
The last saddle I bought we sold it becuz it didnt fit.

I've had:
collegiate sold it cuz I basicly outgrew it.
HDR the flaps were to long for me sold it.
Western TexTan sold it. Decided to go back to English.
Harry Dabbs sold it cuz the "county" rep said that it didnt fit.

thats it.

cleozowner
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:35 PM
the $300 is going towards a saddle tho.

http://www.collegiate-saddles.com/products

my parents are in a middle of a divorce so money is tight.

Then how are you affording a custom saddle? Or asking someone about buying a County?
A well-fitting saddle does NOT have to be expensive. It just has to be the right saddle. You just have to be honest with the saddle fitter about your budget. (I sure am--Heaven knows I don't have multiple thousands lying around for a saddle!)

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:36 PM
we were honest with the county rep but we said to get a county saddle abd we priced used ones and thir out of our budget.

supershorty628
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:37 PM
If you don't have the money to get a professional opinion and get a saddle that fits your horse, then I would think you wait to ride, at least with a saddle, until you have the means to get what that horse deserves.

It is not fair to your horse to put an ill-fitting saddle on her back when that causes her pain. Put your horse first.

cleozowner
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:38 PM
we were honest with the county rep but we said to get a county saddle abd we priced used ones and thir out of our budget.

Then you need a saddle fitter who can work with different brands. You've gotten several suggestions at this point.

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:38 PM
HOW can I have a saddle fitter out when i have no SADDLE for him/her to check? I dont understand??

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:39 PM
Then you need a saddle fitter who can work with different brands. You've gotten several suggestions at this point.

I know a member said pasty but who else?

cleozowner
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:40 PM
A good saddle fitter will look at your horse and judging by the shape of Beautiful's back they can suggest saddles. Also, many saddle fitters have a variety of saddles for you to try.
It would actually be best for you to have them out before you waste any more $$ on saddles that don't fit!

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:41 PM
If you don't have the money to get a professional opinion and get a saddle that fits your horse, then I would think you wait to ride, at least with a saddle, until you have the means to get what that horse deserves.

It is not fair to your horse to put an ill-fitting saddle on her back when that causes her pain. Put your horse first.

Iam. I havent rode in like how many months?? I dont wanna hurt my horse. I loff her to much!!

cleozowner
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:41 PM
The other names are thrown in among the 3 threads you started this weekend. But really, you only need one name!

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:43 PM
I'll check it out.

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:47 PM
The other names are thrown in among the 3 threads you started this weekend. But really, you only need one name!

You have a PM!!

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 08:55 PM
If anyone wants to call my mom and talk with her they can about saddle fitting.

vxf111
Mar. 4, 2012, 09:14 PM
I know a member said pasty but who else?

Feeling like a broken record here...

http://www.dutchessbridlesaddle.com/aboutpage.cfm

If you can squeeze your budget up a little, she can probably get you in a new Thorowgood that ACTUALLY FITS without all the bellyaching and starting of 7-8 threads on the same subject. She comes to your area. She's not going to push you to buy a $4,000 saddle. She sells saddles in ALL RANGES and she knows her stuff.

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 09:22 PM

If you can squeeze your budget up a little, she can probably get you in a new Thorowgood that ACTUALLY FITS without all the bellyaching and starting of 7-8 threads on the same subject. She comes to your area. She's not going to push you to buy a $4,000 saddle. She sells saddles in ALL RANGES and she knows her stuff.

Thank You!! I'll have my mom look.

Tiffany01
Mar. 4, 2012, 10:07 PM

Ok I checked it out and she doesnt come to NorthWestern,P.A. to where I live.

spaceagejuliet
Mar. 5, 2012, 06:51 AM
Finding a saddle to fit your horse, especially on a budget is frustrating. I can relate.

There is nothing wrong with calling around to shops and being honest about your situation and your budget, ask about fees up front. You've gotten some names on these threads, make a list with every tack shop in your pseudo-local area, every saddle fitter and start calling. If they cant help you, ask them if they know someone who does. They do this for a living, and for most of them, its their passion. You might be surprised at how far, "I'm a kid with $500 of my own money and a hard to fit horse, help!" will get you.

I've seen people make appointments at a tack shop that has a fitter and sells used saddles and haul into the parking lot for a fitting with used saddles... which the shop did for free. Just kicking a crazy idea out there.

It doesn't have to be new, expensive, or custom, it just has to fit. The synthetic saddles with the changeable trees are a good option for some horses, but either way, since you aren't an experienced saddle fitter, you're going to have to get SOMEONE on board who can fit a saddle to your horse. Good luck, you'll find something!

vxf111
Mar. 5, 2012, 08:28 AM
Ok I checked it out and she doesnt come to NorthWestern,P.A. to where I live.

Are you near harrisburg? Call her, I am 99% sure she does go to that area. She goes to Chester County PA which is almost as far (for her).

If not, have you tried Annette from Hastilow? She absolutely goes to your area.

Event4Life
Mar. 5, 2012, 08:48 AM
Are you near harrisburg? Call her, I am 99% sure she does go to that area. She goes to Chester County PA which is almost as far (for her).

If not, have you tried Annette from Hastilow? She absolutely goes to your area.

NWPA is a good 4 hour drive from Harrisburg - most of it on small roads except the turnpike which is hardly much better....been there done that; I used to pick my sis up in g'burg on my way home. Beautiful drive but takes FOREVER. From upstate NY it's about 8 hours to where Tiffany lives. It also specifically states on that saddle fitters website that she does not go to NWPA. I was interested because I was trying to get my mare fitted for a saddle in the area soon after we moved and I eventually gave up and waited until we got home (to cville, where there are saddle fitters in abundance).

Tiff: I really would not rule out reps. I ended up working with a rep for Reactor Panel. We tried a variety of makes, but a RP ended up working best. However, it was purchased through one of her other clients, not the company, so they did not make a dime from it. She knew my budget was too small for a fully custom saddle and was happy to work within it

vxf111
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:51 AM
I was confused about where Tiffany lives. I thought she lived closer to Harrisburg than she does. I do think Annette goes to Tiffany's area. Kate, she'll have to call and check.

Another alternative is to trailer Beautiful to a barn where one or more saddle fitters is already going. If Tiffany wants to come to South Jersey, I am planning to have Kate out at the end of the month. Little bit of a pain in the butt but might be worth it just to resolve this saddle situation once and for all.

Tiffany01
Mar. 5, 2012, 05:36 PM
I was confused about where Tiffany lives. I thought she lived closer to Harrisburg than she does. I do think Annette goes to Tiffany's area. Kate, she'll have to call and check.

Another alternative is to trailer Beautiful to a barn where one or more saddle fitters is already going. If Tiffany wants to come to South Jersey, I am planning to have Kate out at the end of the month. Little bit of a pain in the butt but might be worth it just to resolve this saddle situation once and for all.

Sweet!! Maybe IF my mom says yes (longshot) we could meet up. My mom and myself and of course my barn owners. (they do the hauling).

BAC
Mar. 5, 2012, 05:47 PM
There was lots of good advice in this thread. http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343935

OP doesn't care about good advice and refuses to take any.

Tiffany01
Mar. 5, 2012, 05:59 PM
ummm im right here and yes I do care. Thanks for saying it to my face btw.

Guin
Mar. 5, 2012, 09:51 PM
:lol:

Long Spot
Mar. 5, 2012, 10:00 PM

Oh I know. I was kind of going for the rim-shot effect by linking her back to her own damn thread where people had already busted their hineys to give her well thought out advice that she didn't even consider.

I know you are right here, Tiffany, but honestly, you have a way of making people feel like they are talking to themselves, so I think that's what a lot of us have decided to do.

Ambitious Kate
Mar. 5, 2012, 10:12 PM
Sorry Wrong Thread

Jo
Mar. 5, 2012, 10:30 PM
Tiffany, just FYI if you didn't know... if you post on an existing topic, it gets bumped up to the top. So - you could post on your original saddle treads asking for fitting help, and they would be at the top. This way you don't need to post a new topic with related questions. :)

vxf111
Mar. 6, 2012, 12:59 AM
Tiffany, when I have a dated firmed up with Kate I will let you know and then you can call Kate and see if you can arrange a time with her that day as well. You can certainly trailer in and meet Kate where I board, if that's helpful.

Moderator 1
Mar. 6, 2012, 08:13 AM
We merged the OP's recent threads on this general topic into one to avoid duplication.

Tiffany01, while keeping info on similar threads in one topic, you can also change the thread title to reflect a new development or focus (such as going from looking for Stubben info to looking for input on saddles for narrow-backed horses). To do that, just click on the "edit" button from the lower right corner of the first post in the thread, then click "go advanced." From there, you can change your thread title...you could even put, "New info: Saddle Fitter Recommendations, post 28!" or something like that if you want to draw folks' attention to something specific.

Thanks!
Mod 1

2tempe
Mar. 6, 2012, 09:41 AM
With gas at almost $4 per gallon, she will spend all her saddle money to trailer from NW pa to either Philly or Jersey and back. If she's up near Erie, better to think about Cleveland area, or up towards Buffalo.

eclipse
Mar. 6, 2012, 10:05 AM
Because I don't feel like talking to myself anymore, and there's no song for that, I give you this (singing along as I read this thread). :lol:.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_mwlrkBPTk

pattnic
Mar. 6, 2012, 10:25 AM
Again, try Trumbull Mountain. No paying for gas to get there, no worrying about whether someone will come to you or not. Kitt does a GREAT job working from photos and tracings. They will also send a saddle to you on trial for only the cost of shipping, if they have something that may work. Even if not, they can give you an idea of what might work. It means a little extra work on your end, but it definitely saves you money over paying for an in-person saddle fitting/consultation and/or hauling somewhere!

Carolinadreamin'
Mar. 6, 2012, 10:27 AM
Again, try Trumbull Mountain. No paying for gas to get there, no worrying about whether someone will come to you or not. Kitt does a GREAT job working from photos and tracings. They will also send a saddle to you on trial for only the cost of shipping, if they have something that may work. Even if not, they can give you an idea of what might work. It means a little extra work on your end, but it definitely saves you money over paying for an in-person saddle fitting/consultation and/or hauling somewhere!

Yes. Yep. Yeaboy.

AmmyByNature
Mar. 6, 2012, 10:31 AM
...It means a little extra work on your end...

Tiff, you're not going to be able to get around this fact. If you don't have a big budget, you're going to have to work harder to find something. But I really don't think you want to do this.

BAC
Mar. 6, 2012, 11:59 AM
ummm im right here and yes I do care. Thanks for saying it to my face btw.

My comment was based on your past history of asking for advice, having a tantrum when you don't agree with the very good advice you receive, then going ahead and doing what you want to anyway. If you can't get a saddle fitter to come to you, and are unwilling or unable to travel to one, then contact Trumbull Mtn. They will work within your budget and come up with a saddle that fits both you and your horse, without all this drama. If you spent half as much time working with them as you do posting here about your latest saddle du jour woes you would have had a properly fitting saddle years ago. Beautiful deserves better.

Jaideux
Mar. 6, 2012, 12:22 PM
I worked with Trumbull Mtn and I love them so much I would consider giving them a kidney, or at least part of my liver.

The very first saddle they sent me was perfect for my horse. I hated it, and it took 2 more saddles to find THE perfect one for both of us, but it was seriously and truly an awesome experience. So easy. The hardest part was just figuring out the closest FedEx shop to return the saddles I wasn't keeping.

As long as you send them a tracing that follows their directions exactly, you will get very good advice. They don't even necessarily want to say "your horse needs X brand saddle". They will tell you what features you should look for in a saddle, and they will make recommendations for you. And, they have a pretty large selection of used saddles so your budget likely won't be a problem.

Finally, they can keep an eye open for you for things that come in, so even if they don't have the right saddle *this* week, they may next week!

Send them tracings. It will probably cost you $10, which includes the cost of a stamp, envelop, paper large enough to trace on, marker, and the curvey wire thing to do the actual tracing (I got mine at a chain craft store), and the amount of online time you will spend emailing or calling back and forth.

vxf111
Mar. 6, 2012, 12:39 PM
I worked with Trumbull Mtn and I love them so much I would consider giving them a kidney, or at least part of my liver.

The very first saddle they sent me was perfect for my horse. I hated it, and it took 2 more saddles to find THE perfect one for both of us, but it was seriously and truly an awesome experience. So easy. The hardest part was just figuring out the closest FedEx shop to return the saddles I wasn't keeping.

As long as you send them a tracing that follows their directions exactly, you will get very good advice. They don't even necessarily want to say "your horse needs X brand saddle". They will tell you what features you should look for in a saddle, and they will make recommendations for you. And, they have a pretty large selection of used saddles so your budget likely won't be a problem.

Finally, they can keep an eye open for you for things that come in, so even if they don't have the right saddle *this* week, they may next week!

Send them tracings. It will probably cost you $10, which includes the cost of a stamp, envelop, paper large enough to trace on, marker, and the curvey wire thing to do the actual tracing (I got mine at a chain craft store), and the amount of online time you will spend emailing or calling back and forth.

TMT is AWESOME. Just awesome to work with!

alto
Mar. 6, 2012, 12:54 PM
You might also talk to Lynda at Classic Saddlery (http://www.classicsaddlery.com/) as they do alot of clearance saddles close to your price range -just send her an email or call her up to talk :)

Watch these videos (http://www.schleese.com/9PointChecklist) on saddle fit - then practise doing tracings on your mare (it's not quite as easy as it looks :lol: )

I 4th or 5th Trumbull Mtn as well.

Also be sure to talk to Smith Worthington (http://www.smithworthington.com/) - they have alot of demo saddles or older saddles that they may be able to work into your price range.

Another great shop to call is Bucks County Saddlery (http://bcsaddlery.com/) - they have a good used saddle section & are even in PA.

You might also discuss the possibility of saddle financing with a company (for example, Equestrian Imports offers ½ down & allows you to finance the balance over 3, 6, 9, or 12 months.)

In my experience with County, the rep has even refused to sell me a new saddle as the old one I had just needed a bit of adjusting (young growing horse who does need a new saddle now). I'd be surprised if that HD fit your horse well.

HorseLuvr
Mar. 6, 2012, 01:04 PM
I don't understand why people keep giving out advice if they know she is not going to listen to it anyways.

Heinz 57
Mar. 6, 2012, 01:27 PM
I don't understand why people keep giving out advice if they know she is not going to listen to it anyways.

Was just thinking this. All you COTH'ers wailing away about how she doesn't listen and all the hours that have been wasted typing out responses...

STOP RESPONDING. :lol: Nobody is forcing you to read or hit the reply button. It *is* rude (and immature) to discuss Tiffany like she isn't here and to make passive aggressive comments about her. Geez.

alto
Mar. 6, 2012, 02:07 PM

:confused:

There is never any guarantee that any poster on any forum anywhere is
ever listening :rolleyes:

STOP RESPONDING. Nobody is forcing you to read or hit the reply button. It *is* rude (and immature) to discuss Tiffany like she isn't here and to make passive aggressive comments about her. Geez.
There was a recently deleted topic over in the dressage forum for apparantly breaking rules, seems to me there are alot of inappropriate posts in this topic - perhaps they manage to stay inside the actual rules of COTH but they certainly do not do so in spirit or intent.

Kitt
Mar. 6, 2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind words - and Jaideux, that was one of the most heartfelt (or at least organ-related!) recommendations I think we've ever received! LMAO!