PDA

View Full Version : Re roofing small barn in VA

ayrabz
Mar. 4, 2012, 09:47 AM
Ok...so...farmette is progressing on, and I am having our 'shed row' roof replaced, and in doing that, it will be raised 2 ft. Yay! Now, this two stall barn has an aisleway in front of the stalls that I do not want to remove the current rafters/and tin above. I want the guy to leave that, and place new roof 2 ft. above. (and in stalls that will be the new height)....what I thought? was: have him install in the roof portion over the existing roof and the aisle way, one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100072633/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I thought, as this is the highest portion of the roof, this would be a good 'pocket' to draw up the hot air and disperse it from. Again, this would be installed in a 20x24 ft. total building. Would this be something you'd say do/go for, or not? I know if it would be suggested, I need to do it at the same time of the re roof....which is coming right up!

Bluey
Mar. 4, 2012, 10:10 AM
That does seem like overkill for a 20x24 open front shed.;)
Then, what do I know of your weather, maybe it makes sense where you are.:confused:

ayrabz
Mar. 4, 2012, 10:21 AM
thanks, Bluey, all input appreciated.

yeah, its kind? of hard to explain. Re roof will be 2 ft 'above' the current 10 ft. wide aisileway tin roof that will remain. (since my electrical is already in, and runs on those rafters....)
because of that 'pocket' between that roof and the new over roof, I thought perhaps? a fan to pull out the hot air trapped would really help during summers....(Central/ South Eastern VA)

Just gonna be one of those : do it now, or forget about it scenarios!

ayrabz
Mar. 4, 2012, 10:50 AM
thought to add: the 20 x 24 area is indeed the area the possible attic fan would be centered on. But, this has large, double barn doors on the front...adjoining it on one side is the 12 x 24 run in, and on the other side is another 20 x 24 area. yes. both of THOSE areas are 'open...but again, this would be the highest point for all of these connected areas, and it will be in an enclosed 'pocket' so I was thinking a source? to pull out the hottest air in the summer may help?

Bluey
Mar. 4, 2012, 11:56 AM
I think that anything that promotes airflow without drafts in the hot summers can be an improvement.
Maybe your idea will do just that.:yes:

Tom King
Mar. 5, 2012, 07:36 AM
I'd just do an open clerestory, with big over hang of the higher roof over the lower roof.

Here's a picture of our barn. The open clerestory is 3'high with 4' overhang. Once in a while a little snow will blow in, but it's always pleasant inside in summer even on 100 degree days.

http://www.starbornhavanese.com/images/barn.jpg