PDA

View Full Version : If I liked a certain Devoucoux, which CWD should I try?

AmmyByNature
Mar. 3, 2012, 04:58 PM
So I was able to ride in a Devoucoux Biarritz (sp?) that I really liked, but I'd like to try a few more before committing. I wanted to try a CWD but can't seem to find a lot of options. The Devoucoux I liked was 18" with a 2AR flap and a medium tree. Does anyone know what an equivalent flap would be for a CWD? The medium tree fit my girl quite well -- do the CWDs fit similarly?

SquishTheBunny
Mar. 3, 2012, 11:05 PM
I have a biarritz, and tried a CWD before. I liked the devoucoux for me better. I tried the two seat depths for CWD, and both regular flaps but both saddles felt just a little "big" for me, even though the seat size was fine. I just really liked the feel of sittingin the devoucoux better. Both the CWD and devoucoux fit both my horses quite well on the regular trees, the devoucoux gave a little more wither clearance,but is a little more banana shaped. I think both are excellent quality, and just comes down to your personal preference.

indygirl2560
Mar. 4, 2012, 11:46 AM
I don't know what the R means in the flap, but a 2c flap in a CWD would probably be close, (I believe the "c" is their "a"). I have an se02 , which is the deep seat. I believe biarritz is also a deeper seat so maybe try the se02 in the CWDs.

A couple of my friends and I swapped horses for fun yesterday and their two saddles, (a Devoucoux biarritz and a CWD se01), felt completely different from my saddle. Their horses move quite differently from mine so that could be something too!

If I were you, I would try both the se01 and se02 in CWD, if possible, as well as some other Devoucouxs. Try as many as you can because what may be comfortable for one person, may not be for another. Good luck!

believetobe
Mar. 4, 2012, 02:48 PM
A CWD can be custom ordered and the reps are great about fitting you and your horse. If you like Devocoux then you would most likely like the SE02 with the PL which is a wider twist. Leg flaps are based on your leg anatomy so you'd need to try both. Why don't you call your local CWD rep? They come out for free with no obligation. They can even help you find a Devocoux if thats what you decide you like.

TheJenners
Mar. 4, 2012, 03:46 PM
believetobe, where/who is your rep?

DARQHORSE
Mar. 4, 2012, 09:56 PM
I have owned both the Devoucoux Biarritz and have had 2 CWD's (SE02 and 2G...and I love them both). The quality of the CWD is IMO FAR superior to the devoucoux. I would contact the CWD rep in your area and have them bring out all of their models for you to try, that way you can decide for yourself what you like best.

Personal experience has lead me to refuse point blank to *ever* have anything to due with Devoucoux again due the horrific, non existant customer service, bad attitude, faulty product and because they don't stand behind their stuff or care about their customers. CWD on the other had I've had 2 saddles custom ordered with and been thrilled with the quality and service they provide. CWD service is OUTSTANDING. Everyone I know who has ridden in a CWD has ended up selling their previous saddle to purchase a CWD.

I highly stuggest you try them out.
=D

Credosporthorses
Mar. 4, 2012, 10:28 PM
believetobe, where/who is your rep?

Jenner our area rep in WA is Johanna Ogorodnik (206)250-9767. I've only spoken to her on the phone but she seems very nice. :yes:

TheJenners
Mar. 5, 2012, 01:26 AM
Thanks! Is CWD the one that will take other saddles on partial trade for new saddles, or am I thinking of someone else??

Credosporthorses
Mar. 5, 2012, 01:57 AM
Yes they are the ones

Jersey Fresh
Mar. 5, 2012, 06:53 AM
I think a lot has to do with your build and what you want in a saddlel, but i tried a Biarratz and a bunch of CWDs. I found them to be nothing like each other. I guess the SE02 would be closest but I really honestly felt like the Dev was a totally different ride than the CWDs. I was transititioning from a very flat Beval, so my issue was the Dev felt like too much saddle.

Your best bet would be to call the rep and have him/her come out so you can sit in them. I found a huge difference between SE01/SE02, a .5" on seat size and the different flap sizes/positions. My rep was very helpful and brought a ton of other used saddles out too until we located mine (my horse was a tough fit so it took some searching because of my limited budget).

BAC
Mar. 5, 2012, 11:50 AM
Personal experience has lead me to refuse point blank to *ever* have anything to due with Devoucoux again due the horrific, non existant customer service, bad attitude, faulty product and because they don't stand behind their stuff or care about their customers. CWD on the other had I've had 2 saddles custom ordered with and been thrilled with the quality and service they provide. CWD service is OUTSTANDING. Everyone I know who has ridden in a CWD has ended up selling their previous saddle to purchase a CWD.
=D

You are right about Devoucoux's lack of customer service, I wouldn't even consider buying from them, especially as I have had nothing but great customer service from CWD. And everyone that rides in mine wants one. :yes:

BAC
Mar. 5, 2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks! Is CWD the one that will take other saddles on partial trade for new saddles, or am I thinking of someone else??

Yes, the CWD rep in Ocala just offered to take a friend's Butet in on trade if they buy a CWD.

Another issue with Devoucoux is durability, two friends at my barn have buffalo Devoucoux and neither is wearing well, one has worn holes in the flaps and the other one just looks like crap, the leather is wearing badly despite the owner's obsessive care of it. Both saddles are much newer than my CWD but jlook substantially older. :(

TheJenners
Mar. 5, 2012, 12:06 PM
Hmm. Well, I have a newer Devoucoux that is wearing fine, but it's not buffalo leather. I'd have to call them with the serial number, I think it's calfskin? Anyways, super grippy, I really like the leather, buuuuut, not sure that it will work for me and my guy.

I might wait a year and get the NW rep out, and see if she'll take mine on a partial trade. And then again a year later because silly baby horse still looks like a baby and he's three! :lol: I'm glad to hear that they take trades! :yes:

snaffle635
Mar. 5, 2012, 01:58 PM
Just ordered a new Antares while I was in Ocala. I talked to the Devoucoux rep who totally ripped on CWD. He was very nasty about it...he said they are made in, gasp, Morocco. Then he proceeded to show me some used CWD's that were falling apart. Hmmm...

I ended up buying a new Antares and trading in my old one. I ran into the Devoucoux guy while walking to the car with my old Antares and had a rather unpleasant conversation with him. He basically insulted me for buying an Antares. Oh, and he also insulted the Antares rep, as well as their products.

Picture this. Me, all happy, just bought a new saddle, little spring in my step, got a good price on my trade, walking back to my car. French guy zooms up on his motorbike. "Eh, you bought an Antares? What did they give you on your trade? How much did you pay for your saddle? What, you think that guy knows anything about saddle fit? This saddle does not fit your horse. (He never even saw my horse.) Look at this saddle. (sniffs air) Well, I 'ope you are 'appy (sarcastic)."

So, sorry I can't comment on CWD's quality as I didn't visit their tent, but I can say I'm glad I chose not to do business with the Devoucoux guy.

BAC
Mar. 5, 2012, 02:06 PM
Snaffle you make me glad I don't do business with those people. That salesman is representing Devoucoux and not doing a very good job of it. And its none of his business how much you got on your trade in, etc. My CWD rep had nothing but good things to say about both Antares and Devoucoux, saying all were good saddles but that CWD was best (naturally). ;)

forward ride
Mar. 5, 2012, 03:19 PM

Devoucoux will take trades as well. Just to chime in, I will say I grew to hold an extreme dislike for my CWD, which never fit my horse correctly and never fit me correctly. Their customer service in my area was horrific. I contacted them again and again about the fit, even had the panels changed once to no avail. Unfortunately, they were blowing through reps in my area so quickly that I was always someone else's problem, so no one really cared about me. It kinda goes with the commission set-up I think as well and frankly I don't blame the reps even though I was disappointed.

I have had much better success with Devoucoux. But of course it also depends on the area you are in. So Cal just got a new rep (who I am friends with) who takes her job and customer service very seriously.

Everyone on this bb has stories of good and bad for every different saddle maker. In the end, just try a bunch and decide what's best for you. It's a big investment and, in the least, should be fun :) Just make sure you keep on them even after you get your saddle so that you are sure that it fits and works how it should.

Jheregvonmunch
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:13 AM
My 2 cent. I live in FL and am a Devoucoux girl through and through but since our last rep left I have found Devoucoux to be a bit stuck up and lacking in customer service.

I looked to swap my Devoucoux for CWD who along with Voltaire have excellent customer service, but I found that the CDWs are REALLY heavy. Unnecessarily heavy. I don't looks forward to heaving those saddles up onto a big horse.

But I also look for bang for my buck. A little flair. Something special. I'm not in high school any more but I like flair. Panache. Style. Devoucoux is classic. But not in any way interesting. Voltaire have their blue undersides, CWD have their carbon fiber and sectional panels. I am hoping Devoucoux bring back my rep who I miss and make some kind of signature design for 2013.