PDA

View Full Version : Show shirt brand/style for those with long arms

gusbabe
Mar. 3, 2012, 08:45 AM
DD has a terrible time finding a show shirt which fits properly. She is slender but has long arms which seem to the problem. The shirt will fit in the body, she bends her elbows and the shirt is half way up her arm!
She can't be the only one with this problem! We are going shopping later to find a shirt and I would love to hear some ideas to save time when we get there!
TIA! :)

JenEM
Mar. 3, 2012, 09:46 AM
I've had great luck with the Miku shirts having nice long arms. However, I think (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as it would make me happy!) they're no longer being made. Not sure what sizes she wears, but you can usually find some online, and I've gotten them at the Tack Exchange in Middleburg.

Of course, my usual solution as someone with long arms and no bust, is to just buy a size up. The bit of extra in the torso isn't noticeable under a coat.

indygirl2560
Mar. 3, 2012, 12:33 PM
I wear essex shirts, but in one size up than what fits in the body! Once the shirt is tucked in, it looks fine in the body and the arms are long enough. Same thing with the Ariat shirts. Essex Classics has a shirt outlet (http://www.essexclassicsoutlet.com/) with great prices, (check out Ebay as well), so you could always experiment with sizing until you find what fits.

RolyPolyPony
Mar. 5, 2012, 10:28 AM
I have the same issue, and going up one size isn't enough as I have monkey arms, and 2 sizes is too much fabric in the body! I'm about ready to just go up 2 sizes and get it tailored down, but someone on these forums suggested these shirts:

http://www.victorycanter.com/Royal-Highness-Warrenton-Coolmax-Wrap-Collar-Show-Shirt-p-22962.html

as having longer than average arms! I haven't ordered one yet, but plan to soon to see!

The Miku shirts have also been rec'd as having long arms.

bits619
Mar. 5, 2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks for this thread! I was just wondering about long armed shirts and jackets. I tried on my old show coat and either my arms grew three inches since the age of 20, or I was delusional about the fit of my coat. So aggravating! I don't need my wrists catching that much of a breeze!

norcalammie
Mar. 5, 2012, 01:43 PM
Same problem but add a larger neck so the chocker is really restricting. Short of going custom any suggetions?

Ainsley688
Mar. 5, 2012, 02:33 PM
I would love to know, as well. Try having longer-than-average arms, broad shoulders, little waist, and short in the torso...I'm shaped like an upside down triangle, lol. It's the shoulders that get you, though. Don't want to rip the seams, like Hulk! < Done that with a button up shirt for school...ripped down the shoulder seams, lol.

roamingnome
Mar. 5, 2012, 03:05 PM
I have a bunch of Saltare (then changed to Stable Cloth, and then I believe was sold again?) shirts. I just called Erin and asked to have 4 inches added to all of my sleeves, it was no charge at all! The shirts ran about 170/180, but were extremely well made, and I have abused them greatly, and still look great!

AmmyByNature
Mar. 5, 2012, 03:19 PM
I've had great luck with the Miku shirts having nice long arms. However, I think (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as it would make me happy!) they're no longer being made.

I heard this as well, and it also made me very sad... :cry:

BAC
Mar. 5, 2012, 03:41 PM
[quote=JenEM;6174689]I've had great luck with the Miku shirts having nice long arms. However, I think (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as it would make me happy!) they're no longer being made. Not sure what sizes she wears, but you can usually find some online, and I've gotten them at the Tack Exchange in Middleburg.[quote]

I was going to recommend Miku as well, but was wondering if they were still in business as I have not heard them mentioned in quite some time. The Farmhouse used to sell them, you could try calling them to see if they have any left, and Farmhouse has some great sales, you might get a bargain, especially if they have been discontinued. :yes:

xxreddxheaddxx
Mar. 5, 2012, 05:20 PM
Essex do run pretty long, but the marigold shirts and coats fit me the best because they run long and lean, I reccommend giving them a try.

hasahorse
Mar. 5, 2012, 05:35 PM
Love the Stable Cloth shirts. I have really broad shoulders plus long arms plus boobs, and their shirts are really the only ones that fit me.

An added bonus is that they come in lovely colors.

FITS
Mar. 5, 2012, 06:45 PM
http://www.fitsriding.com/shirts_silkTouch.php

Suggest you try FITS Claire Wrap Collar Show Shirt. Super light weight; feminine pretty fit; lots of sleeve length...

spaceagejuliet
Mar. 6, 2012, 12:02 AM
I used to love Pale Horse Designs, which came in TALL. I am 5'11 and super lanky. (My GP coat has 2.5" added to the tall length sleeves) and they fit.
I can not, however, find them anywhere online, at all. Anyone know anything about Pale Horse Designs closing? Sold? Changed names?

rockfordbuckeye
Mar. 10, 2012, 07:51 PM
I have the same issue, and going up one size isn't enough as I have monkey arms, and 2 sizes is too much fabric in the body! I'm about ready to just go up 2 sizes and get it tailored down, but someone on these forums suggested these shirts:

http://www.victorycanter.com/Royal-Highness-Warrenton-Coolmax-Wrap-Collar-Show-Shirt-p-22962.html

as having longer than average arms! I haven't ordered one yet, but plan to soon to see!

The Miku shirts have also been rec'd as having long arms.

So I bought the Victory Canter shirts per the rec and I think they are a bit longer in the sleeve but I also found the overall shirt to be WAY bigger than Essex or TS. I am usually a 34 and the 34 in the Victory Canter shirt is ridiculous it's so big on me. The arms are really WIDE as well as long. So they totally bunched up under coat.

Unfortunately, they will have to go back and I'm not sure that even sizing down will make the arm width good enough. So I would recommend these with caution and only maybe for people with not only long arms but larger/more muscle arms and not the long noodles that I sport. :lol:

emmrodge
Mar. 10, 2012, 08:10 PM
best solutions ever!:

buy a cheap shirt, have the wrist to elbow cut off, put buttons inside sleeve. just button your cuffs on!

RolyPolyPony
Mar. 11, 2012, 08:22 AM
So I bought the Victory Canter shirts per the rec and I think they are a bit longer in the sleeve but I also found the overall shirt to be WAY bigger than Essex or TS. I am usually a 34 and the 34 in the Victory Canter shirt is ridiculous it's so big on me. The arms are really WIDE as well as long. So they totally bunched up under coat.

Unfortunately, they will have to go back and I'm not sure that even sizing down will make the arm width good enough. So I would recommend these with caution and only maybe for people with not only long arms but larger/more muscle arms and not the long noodles that I sport. :lol:

Aww, darn! I'm sorry - and disappointed - to hear that. In addition to long, mine are thin too. Bah.

cleozowner
Mar. 11, 2012, 08:38 AM

I just had mine tailored slightly in the arms. $35 shirt + $25 tailoring still puts me way ahead of some of the other shirts, plus it was tailored to fit ME!

gumshoe
Mar. 11, 2012, 09:06 AM
Cheval shirts are quite slender fitting (you won't look like a sailboat when you take your jacket off) and longer arms. :)

d1277
Mar. 11, 2012, 09:12 AM
I have the same problem. I have had shirts tailored in the past, and it wasn't too expensive, but I recently bought one of the FITS shirts and I LOVE it. The sleeves are long enough, I love the seersucker fabric and they are super cool! It is a *little* big in the torso, but not enough to bother me.

Good Luck