PDA

View Full Version : WEF Nations Cup Tonight

Made In Canada
Mar. 2, 2012, 05:49 PM
How do I see the live streaming? :)

KitKat987
Mar. 2, 2012, 05:58 PM
http://www.usefnetwork.com/featured/WEF2012

It is on there at 7 pm EST. I've been a WEF live streaming junkie for several weekends now and tonight will be no different...

RxCate
Mar. 2, 2012, 06:02 PM
Is there anywhere to see the rounds from the Gulfport Derby ?

Also waiting anxiously for 7pm here!

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 07:33 PM
Did the commentator (not Melanie)really call the last rider "the french woman"? How....odd

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 07:41 PM
Dear Melanie S-T:

Slieveanorra is a forest in Ireland.

ETA: I don't remember MST being so....candid in her past commentary. Wassup, Mel?

Rel6
Mar. 2, 2012, 07:46 PM
"It seems like at this level he should be able to manage a safety pin." :lol:

I like the play between MST and the male commentator...she says a somewhat snippy comments and he tries hard to steer it back to neutral ground.

paintedrain91
Mar. 2, 2012, 07:50 PM
what is that on the gray mare's nose? the one ridden by the american. cella i think her name was?

kmwines01
Mar. 2, 2012, 07:57 PM
Love the announcers commentary on the Australian (new zealand?, couldnt see the flag that well) woman's hair! I see pictures of people in the jumper ring all the time with no hairnet!

RxCate
Mar. 2, 2012, 07:57 PM
This woman corresponder is a witch.. Does she really have to nitpick about what people are wearing/whether their hair is up?

I agree it's much nicer to be perfectly shined/coiffed but she is being downright catty about it.. "you would NEVER catch an American rider without a hairnet" Oh for shame!

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 07:58 PM
"It seems like at this level he should be able to manage a safety pin." :lol:

I like the play between MST and the male commentator...she says a somewhat snippy comments and he tries hard to steer it back to neutral ground.

Hahahahaha! I know!

kmwines01
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:00 PM
Is it just me or are the last few getting in very strangely to that last fence?

Vetvivi
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:01 PM
Who is this lady commenting? I see that her name is Melanie, but what is her background? She is providing some snarkily entertaining commentary lol :D

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:02 PM
This woman corresponder is a witch.. Does she really have to nitpick about what people are wearing/whether their hair is up?

I agree it's much nicer to be perfectly shined/coiffed but she is being downright catty about it.. "you would NEVER catch an American rider without a hairnet" Oh for shame!

Melanie Smith-Taylor trained for ages with George Morris. He's all about the coiff and the discipline. :)

RxCate
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:03 PM
Apparently, but she's just acting as if the American's are just the bee's knees and everyone else is mud.

Pretty entertaining, I just wonder what the riders who are being snipped at would say.

Judysmom
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:04 PM
I'm really enjoying the commentary. I think M S-T is great.

What's a Scottish Sporthorse? I thought that mare was really classy. I can figure that its some sort of a cross-bred... registered in Scotland... Does anyone know if there is a traditonal cross, the way Irish horses are?

Vetvivi
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:04 PM
Ooh Smith Taylor, should have guessed! Nevermind!

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:05 PM
Who is this lady commenting? I see that her name is Melanie, but what is her background? She is providing some snarkily entertaining commentary lol :D

Melanie Smith-Taylor was an Olympic show-jumper rider and rode on our Olympic Gold Medal team in ...1986? Aboard Calypso. She was really an amazingly beautiful rider - due in large part, IMO, from her hunter training. Her form was slightly unusual but her leg was always perfect. As was her hairnet.

supershorty628
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:08 PM
I muted the commentary...much better :)

I would like Big Star for my birthday, please!

Edit: Oh s**t!! Glad to see Margie on her feet...

klmck63
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:12 PM
Anyone know where there might be an order of go?

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:15 PM
Hahahahaha! (I'm sorry...but) How did Margie's horse get to the ring with only half of his braids done???? MAJOR American fashion faux paux, eh, Melanie? [that trumps the rider with the long hair, I think] :winkgrin:

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:16 PM
I would like Big Star for my birthday, please!

Sure, no problem. Just tell me where to mail him. ;)

vagabondrider
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:17 PM
At least Melanie is very knowledgeable commentating about show jumping. I cringe when she does commentary for cross country & dressage at Rolex. And at the Olympics- I like her as a commentator for pure SJ & for the SJ part of eventing, but for dressage & XC she doesn't have the background & it shows.

kmwines01
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:17 PM
Wow, holy long spot!

Pancakes
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:18 PM
Quite a few horses don't like that liverpool, eh? It's so sad and unusual to see Margie fall!

I have to say that I'm very mad at myself that I didn't realize the event was tonight! I could have gone! It's for the best anyway...gotta get up early and be at work at 6 tomorrow.

vagabondrider
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:19 PM
Melanie Smith-Taylor was an Olympic show-jumper rider and rode on our Olympic Gold Medal team in ...1986? Aboard Calypso. She was really an amazingly beautiful rider - due in large part, IMO, from her hunter training. Her form was slightly unusual but her leg was always perfect. As was her hairnet.

1984 Olympics in Los Angeles, team gold.

Judysmom
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:19 PM
Anyone know where there might be an order of go?

Order of go is under "class information" - above the video screen

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:20 PM
1984 Olympics in Los Angeles, team gold.

Thank you!

enjoytheride
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:21 PM
I'm rather enjoying the bit of railbird commentary. Amusing.

RxCate
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:23 PM
Those last 3 fences are a B****!

The first 4 riders (individuals) seemed so relaxed and smooth when they road the course... As we go down the order now it seems to get harrier & harrier!

supershorty628
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:26 PM
Great ride by Cian O'Connor!

RxCate
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:30 PM
Buahaha the "mexicans are amateurs"

you keep digging that hole Melanie...

vagabondrider
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:33 PM
Love Meredith's brown boots! I've seen some eventers with them but no show jumpers till her.

supershorty628
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:33 PM
Too bad Meredith doesn't ride for us...

RxCate
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:35 PM
WAAAHOOOO!!!

vagabondrider
Go Beezie! Beautifully done!

J-Lu
Love Meredith's brown boots! I've seen some eventers with them but no show jumpers till her.

I know! I loooooove Meredith, I've followed her career for ages. I love Beezie, too! Woot to both of their clear rounds!

supershorty628
Gooooo Beezie!!!!

Tha Ridge
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:38 PM
Hahahahaha! (I'm sorry...but) How did Margie's horse get to the ring with only half of his braids done???? MAJOR American fashion faux paux, eh, Melanie? [that trumps the rider with the long hair, I think] :winkgrin:

Margie has him braided that way so she has something to grab.

mepkkg
Way to go Beezie!

Roxy SM

I'm pretty sure the half-braid job is intentional so that Margie can grab mane if necessary.

Tha Ridge
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:39 PM
what is that on the gray mare's nose? the one ridden by the american. cella i think her name was?

Looked like a nose net to me. Used on a lot of horses who shake their heads. http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=CC00192

supershorty628

:lol: I'd do that too if I were riding a big powerful horse like Indigo!

J-Lu

Really? Does she do that with all of her horses or just this one. Huh.

Tha Ridge
I'm pretty sure the half-braid job is intentional so that Margie can grab mane if necessary.

Beat ya to it. ;)

Sarah616
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:40 PM

I've seen many riders do this - don't braid all the way to the withers. I think most of the time it's so they can grab onto the mane when they need to. Pretty sure I saw her holding the mane just before one of the jumps.

Tha Ridge
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:40 PM
Really? Does she do that with all of her horses or just this one. Huh.

Not sure. I've only ever noticed it on Indigo, but I can't say I blame her. She is itty bitty and he is a big, big horse.

If you've ever hung around a racetrack, you'll see a lot of jockeys pulling out the rubber band braids that the grooms put in so that they have something to grab.

As an aside, I do agree that some of MST's commentary has been a little, err, curt.

paintedrain91
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:42 PM
Looked like a nose net to me. Used on a lot of horses who shake their heads. http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=CC00192

Thanks for the info, I've never seen something like that.

Roxy SM
Buahaha the "mexicans are amateurs"

you keep digging that hole Melanie...

I agree with you that it was not a good thing for her to say when commentating, but I think most of the Mexicans who ride at the top levels ARE wealthy amateurs, not pros who do this to make a living.

FalseImpression

I seem to recall Mario Deslauriers explaining that, at one time, she may have had allergies and needed the nose net. When questioned at the Royal, he said she did not really need it indoors, but it was more a comfort thing for her. So they just put it on her.

Go Eric!!! and I hope Yann and Lansdowne do better next time. I just fell in love with this horse at the Royal.

Go Canada!!!

J-Lu
Well thanks, guys! I didn't realize that riders did this but I see that it does make sense, especially with what happened in Margie's round. I guess she knows the horse pretty well and the importance of having something to grab with this guy. Thanks!

KitKat987
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:45 PM
Glad I'm not the only one raising a few eyebrows at the commentary! Some of her comments on the less competitive teams have been rather demeaning.

I love Star Power. I think that animal cleared everything by nearly a foot!

Eventer13
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:46 PM
Nice to know the pros sometimes have to grab mane, and not just us incompetent ammies :)

Celeritas
I just got home... where are we in the order of go? I see they're doing a drag break right now, after 25?

J-Lu
Not sure. I've only ever noticed it on Indigo, but I can't say I blame her. She is itty bitty and he is a big, big horse.

If you've ever hung around a racetrack, you'll see a lot of jockeys pulling out the rubber band braids that the grooms put in so that they have something to grab.

As an aside, I do agree that some of MST's commentary has been a little, err, curt.

Yes, she's itty-bitty but she seems to have a real affinity for large horses! Interesting about the race horses- I didn't know that but that certainly makes sense as well. And Thanks, Sara616 and Roxy, for your clarification!

supershorty628
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:48 PM
I just got home... where are we in the order of go? I see they're doing a drag break right now, after 25?

We are between the first and second rounds.

Tha Ridge

Finished with the first round. Canada, Germany, France and USA are moving on.

tegotong
Does anyone know who the course designer is?

kmwines01
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:49 PM
Can Margie compete in the next round?

Celeritas
Finished with the first round. Canada, Germany, France and USA are moving on.

Great, thanks!

J-Lu
\
Anthony D'Ambrosio

Celeritas
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:51 PM

Anthony D'Ambrosio. The course map is listed under "class information" on the website.

FalseImpression
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:52 PM
I thought 6 teams were moving on with all their riders. Great Britain? and?

Rel6
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:55 PM

That was my first guess when MST commented on it, so I was surprised to here her assume they just ran out of time or something.

I agree that some of her comments have been rude and uncalled for. Of course international horses aren't going to have names like "Banjo." And talking about how the Irish "really just tear the place down" in reference to them renting a Tiki Bar was just tacky.

Tap2Tango
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:55 PM
JMO but when you're Melanie you can say whatever you like. If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.... She knows what she is talking about.

vagabondrider
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:58 PM
:lol: I'd do that too if I were riding a big powerful horse like Indigo!

I'd leave him unbraided. Half & half looks sloppier to me than no braids at all.

Tha Ridge
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:59 PM
JMO but when you're Melanie you can say whatever you like. If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.... She knows what she is talking about.

She didn't know what an Anglo-European warmblood was... Really?!

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:01 PM

She's a professional, not entitled. She's a hired commentator. This is not about "running with the big dogs" because no one is competing against her. ?????

supershorty628
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:01 PM

JMO as well, but I think no matter who you are, you can comment accurately without saying rude and uncalled for things.

We can agree to disagree :)

Rel6
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:03 PM

Nope, this doesn't apply to bigoted/ignorant comments.

(I fully admit I'm over-sensitive to this stuff. So I may be reading too much into her comments, but if I'm not her success doesn't make it acceptable.)

LowerSaxony_Jumper
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:05 PM
haha had to laugh about the Anglo-European comment!

I would like to have more informations about the riders and horses! Like what have they done the last years/ months? The big names everybody knows but what about our young germans? informations about the teams and less about the fashion! Thanks!

Love to see that our team of young riders and "Mama" Meredith do sooooo incredibly well! Hey, we send you our youngsters and still have more than a good shot! Makes me hopeful towards London!

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:06 PM
What a shame for Lauren! Arrgg!!

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:09 PM
Damn! Star Power makes it look easy!! WOW!

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:12 PM
OK, this little German horse? I want I want I want.....

LowerSaxony_Jumper
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:12 PM
Still an great round by Jörg! just keeping the Stress up!

paintedrain91
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the info FalseImpression. :)

Tha Ridge
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:19 PM
WTF just happened with Cella? That was really odd.

J-Lu
Still an great round by Jörg! just keeping the Stress up!

Who is this little horse, the first horse to go for Germany?

JinxyPoo
what was that with Cella?? Very strange

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:21 PM
[quote=LowerSaxony_Jumper;6174184haha

Love to see that our team of young riders and "Mama" Meredith do sooooo incredibly well! Hey, we send you our youngsters and still have more than a good shot! Makes me hopeful towards London![/quote]

We export good riders. ;)

Tap2Tango
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:23 PM
I guess it's just me, but I don't find what she says rude. Then again, I have a super odd, usually sarcastic personality that offends a lot of people. My point was that she has commentated a lot for our sport in the past, some of her comments might be off, but she knows her stuff. (and I find her very entertaining)

Tap2Tango
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:25 PM
JMO as well, but I think no matter who you are, you can comment accurately without saying rude and uncalled for things.

We can agree to disagree :)

I think this is the first time we have ever disagreed on a subject! haha ;)

Tha Ridge
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:27 PM
French dude is CRAY! :lol: :D

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:28 PM
French dude is CRAY! :lol: :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Celeritas
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:29 PM
I would DEFINITELY have lawn darted if I tried that move!!

Tha Ridge
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:30 PM
I would DEFINITELY have lawn darted if I tried that move!!

I'm gonna do that at my show tomorrow and see what my trainer does. ;)

LowerSaxony_Jumper
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:30 PM
@J-Lu: We try to marry all good girls from other countrys to germans. First meredith and now Judy-Ann Melchior is pregnant.......

Che Guevara is just approved by the Holsteiner Verband.
http://search.fei.org/Search_Centre/Horse/Pages/Detail.aspx?p=42CF4D5B313745EB8378B00175D68C0F

He and Jörg had fantastic results the last few years. They won the Rider Tour leg of Hannover

http://search.fei.org/Search_Centre/Result/Pages/CompetitionSearch.aspx?p=C880B78B8159EC1027A868F0B F5F87511CE184886822EF5836569F3F47E94C18FE822751A1F 9B06BD5F354AB4873C87F

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:34 PM
@J-Lu: We try to marry all good girls from other countrys to germans. First meredith and now Judy-Ann Melchior is pregnant.......

http://search.fei.org/Search_Centre/Horse/Pages/Detail.aspx?p=42CF4D5B313745EB8378B00175D68C0F

He and Jörg had fantastic results the last few years. They won the Rider Tour leg of Hannover

http://search.fei.org/Search_Centre/Result/Pages/CompetitionSearch.aspx?p=C880B78B8159EC1027A868F0B F5F87511CE184886822EF5836569F3F47E94C18FE822751A1F 9B06BD5F354AB4873C87F

Thank you for the information! I love this horse!

OK, so what happened with our U.S. "bred" Lisa Wilcox? (ahem, Germany let this one get away. :))

Roxy SM
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:39 PM
I agree that some of her comments have been rude and uncalled for. Of course international horses aren't going to have names like "Banjo." .

Lots of great international level horses had/have either silly or simple one word names. Sometimes in English, sometimes in other languages, but short and simple nonetheless.

LowerSaxony_Jumper
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:40 PM
Lisa got away but in dressage we need to focous to the dutch and now the british! And the british got the german bred Laura Bechtolsheimer. We could use her now!

Diffrent rules for diffrent disciplines ;)

LowerSaxony_Jumper
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:42 PM
Like to see the british, germans, irish and french ride horses bred home! Especially good for the british since they hadn't had a big scene for top level horses!

vagabondrider
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:43 PM
I agree that more info on horse & rider bios, recent placings, etc would be useful. Especially the horses' breeding (names of sires & damsires, not just "holsteiner" or "Dutch".

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:47 PM
Lisa got away but in dressage we need to focous to the dutch and now the british! And the british got the german bred Laura Bechtolsheimer. We could use her now!

Diffrent rules for diffrent disciplines ;)

Yes, you are right! The 2012 Olympic dressage classes will be very interesting... veeeeery interesting...

vagabondrider
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:49 PM
Nice to see Captain L'amazing doing so well!

LowerSaxony_Jumper
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:49 PM
Wooooow We won! Hahaha sooo good! I am so pround of our young boys!!!

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:50 PM

BTW, do you know how tall this horse it? I can't seem to find it. He looks a bit on the smaller side but I can't find his height. Oh, contrats on your Nations Cup win!

Rel6
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:50 PM
Lots of great international level horses had/have either silly or simple one word names. Sometimes in English, sometimes in other languages, but short and simple nonetheless.

The horse in question had a one word name in another language. I guess it just wasn't short and simple enough for MST.

LowerSaxony_Jumper
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:54 PM
Che ist 1,70m! I have no idea whats that converted

supershorty628
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:56 PM

Nikki is about 1.60m and is just under 16 hands.. so that makes him 16.3 hands (ish)?? That can't be right. I'm not good at doing math/conversions in my head.

LowerSaxony_Jumper
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:59 PM
16.3 is right!

jonesy
Loved the commentary and love that some of you think we should be oh-so political. The Mexican team was a mess and the hair flying on the woman was sheer tacky. What has happened to the respect to the sport in a class of this level? Dress properly and tidy up!

Of course MST leans towards the Americans and I am sure the commentator for Canada or Ireland would do the same for their riders etc.

Her comments were spot on and why not comment that the Irish Team has the biggest fan base. Every year the Irish get the Tiki Bar and they go all out with team spirit that it is contagious and I feel it helps their riders get in the groove.

I guess everything she said in the second round was bad too? Remember many of these riders are very well-known to her and she takes the time to speak to them and learn about their mounts.

REL6 I think you have a grudge for MST.

PS: 10 of us watched together and none of us had heard of an Anglo European horse...we all looked at each other when the breed was mentioned. So we googled it. And we didn't know the meaning of the Irish horse that we now know is a famous forest in Ireland. So I guess we are not "in the know" either.

Great second round and love that French guy!!!!!!

J-Lu

Thank you! That converts to about 16.3 hands. His rider must be a large guy because I would have sworn that the horse is smaller than that by looking at him. What a star, though!

Thanks again for all of the information and Congratulations!!!

LowerSaxony_Jumper
Mar. 2, 2012, 10:05 PM
to the breed: It's not like the horse just turned Anglo european...Normaly the Commentators get the starting lists early and have a chance to prepare. It's a bit like wearing Hunter hair or not......It doesn't change the preformance but it makes it nicer.......like the respect of the sport.....just my two euro cents

J-Lu
Mar. 2, 2012, 10:06 PM
And we didn't know the meaning of the Irish horse that we now know is a famous forest in Ireland. So I guess we are not "in the know" either.

And so the horse should have been called "Joe" or "Banjo" because "that's what horses used to be called", despite the fact that he's Irish? Really? What an odd thing to comment on when there is so much more applicable and informative things (breeding, show record, breeder, owner, trainer/rider) to comment on and when a horse is obviously named for something regarding it's breeding/home country.

jonesy
Mar. 2, 2012, 10:12 PM
So tell me more about the Anglo European breed? I am curious to learn more about it.

LowerSaxony_Jumper
Mar. 2, 2012, 10:25 PM
I don't know much about either but I wasn't the commentator. What I know is that it's the british sporthorse bred. They probably use stallions from the continent abd ireland as well.

I don't want to start a disscusion but if you are the commentator you should do your homework and know the facts or just don't say anything about it! What would people say if a commentator in soccer would say : i never heared of that country!
Commenting a jumping competition is hard and not an easy task! And MTS propably has more important things to do and one can not be good at everything but sometimes just prepare a bit more or don't say anything at all is a smart way to go

Polydor
Mar. 2, 2012, 10:44 PM
Ok so who won??

I give up trying to sort through individual results on that confusing results table.

Hoping Canada won!

P.

supershorty628
Mar. 2, 2012, 10:48 PM
Germany won, Ireland second, Canada third.

Polydor
Mar. 2, 2012, 10:50 PM
Awesome thank you Shorty!

Nice to see Ireland doing well and of course Canada.

P.

lauriep
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:08 PM

Ok, know it all, here's the real deal. First, she is completely correct that an American woman ON THE TEAM would never be caught without a hairnet. So she commented on it. BFD.

Second, she arrived in Wellington late last night. She got to the show and was provided NO background information. None. Not even a start order. She spent all day today doing interviews and learning as much as she could in the hours she had. Little if any support from the media. You really think you could do a better job? I doubt it seriously.

Melanie isn't involved in this sport as deeply as she once was. But she ALWAYS gives anything she does her very best effort. Why don't you find something important to bitch about, instead of berating a person doing her best in a less than perfect situation.

lauriep
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:09 PM
Ok so who won??

I give up trying to sort through individual results on that confusing results table.

Hoping Canada won!

P.

Ian's time fault was very costly.

FalseImpression
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:26 PM
If Ian had gone clear, we would have tied with Ireland? or would there have been a jump off between Ireland and Canada? the commentators mentioned a jump off possible at one point but I guess it was for the first place?

Celeritas
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:58 PM
If Ian had gone clear, we would have tied with Ireland? or would there have been a jump off between Ireland and Canada? the commentators mentioned a jump off possible at one point but I guess it was for the first place?

Yes, if Ian didn't have time time fault, both Canada and Ireland would have been tied with 8 faults. Shame, he had a beautiful trip. I am quite pleased for Ireland however, they were quite impressive over a tricky course.

kmwines01
Mar. 3, 2012, 12:17 AM
Commentating on this is just like any other sport. I expect the league or horseshow to have done the leg work and given you the correct stats, pronunciations, etc before the event. You discuss what actually occurs moment to moment. I expect my football broadcasters to know facts and stats but only because they have it in front of them.

M. O'Connor
Mar. 3, 2012, 07:28 AM
I suspect that football broadcasters are paid QUITE a lot more than equestrian ones here in the USA, and are helped along by support teams whose job is to make them look good.

If you listened 'between the lines,' the stadium announcer, Peter Doubleday was announcing the background info. Too bad USEF network couldn't have arranged a feed to be wired in--past broadcasts have featured Peter's announcements picked up by external microphone, but I very much enjoyed and appreciated Melanie's expert technical commentary and didn't mind her personal observations either.

I'm glad I watched with friends in the living room (we hooked up a PC to our TV and watched it on a big screen--worked PERFECTLY, btw) and gave this thread a skip last night. What a snarky bunch here, MST has nothing on you guys.

"Anglo-European?" Really? Yeah, just as likely to have been put down as a joke on the entry blank as being anything 'formal.' Anyone have an update on which it is?

We here in the USA really shouldn't throw stones when it comes to things like that--not like we have a strong USA registry, and, study up, folks- the truth is that show jumping horses at this level, though they may belong to this or that registry, are an amalgamation, and have many ancestors in common.

Congratulations to the Germans, Irish (Yay! It was a great night to be a dual-national!) and Canadians (wow, that time fault was a heartbreaker!). The Mexicans didn't look strong at all...then again, we didn't look that strong either. What a sport, sure keeps you humble, unless you are just watching and posting under cover of your screen names on COTH.

SarahandSam
Mar. 3, 2012, 08:11 AM
I also was WTF on the Anglo-European... so it's generic British sporthorse? I am confused with all the "_______ Sporthorse" breeds now; is that just a mix of WBs and some TB or something, and then named after whatever region it lives in? I'm pretty sure I heard one of the British team announced as riding a "Scottish sporthorse"... does it have some Clydesdale in it?

Not meant to sound snarky, but I really have no idea what constitutes "sporthorse" as a breed.

marginall
Mar. 3, 2012, 11:48 AM
Until the US consistently wins international events, talking smack about other riders appearances is embarrassing. At the end of the day, best horses and riders win and that's not us. Looking pretty doesn't get you ribbons.

Rel6
Mar. 3, 2012, 12:44 PM
Loved the commentary and love that some of you think we should be oh-so political. The Mexican team was a mess and the hair flying on the woman was sheer tacky. What has happened to the respect to the sport in a class of this level? Dress properly and tidy up!

Our team wasn't too hot either though (unfortunately.) And she definitely was spot on with the hairnet comment, thats not something I brought up. And again, I mentioned that I can be over-sensitive to the issue. I thought her commentary was, for the most part, very insightful and helpful but there were one or two comments that raised my eyebrows a little. No grudge against MST here.

Tha Ridge
Mar. 3, 2012, 04:15 PM
So tell me more about the Anglo European breed? I am curious to learn more about it.

I don't think it's so much of a breed as it is a type. Sounds to me like a warmblood of some kind crossed with a pure Thoroughbred.

I would think that a horse person of MST's stature would know what "Anglo-" means as a prefix.

Tap2Tango
Mar. 3, 2012, 05:06 PM
I just read on world of showjumping that this was Ian's 117th Nations Cup! How awesome is that???

july
Mar. 3, 2012, 05:18 PM
Until the US consistently wins international events, talking smack about other riders appearances is embarrassing. At the end of the day, best horses and riders win and that's not us. Looking pretty doesn't get you ribbons.

Absolutely!!!

And regarding the "Anglo-European"... I'm going to go out on a limb and say they are talking about the ANGLO EUROPEAN STUDBOOK = AES for short. It's a very open studbook, and while they have been trying to get stricter grading requirements, it's one of the easier breeds to get stallions approved in. They also hold approvals outside of England, i.e. in Holland. Google it for further info, it's too late for me to add any more.