PDA

View Full Version : "Back On Track" products - anybody use them?

anothersomeone
Mar. 2, 2012, 03:50 PM
The title pretty much says it all, what do you use? I'm interested in your thoughts and experiences.
A number of people (vets & chiro. among others) have sung the praises of these products. I just ordered a "mesh blanket" and two saddle pads. If you have a blanket do you only use it part time? The one thing that is a bummer about these products, the pads especially, is that they recommend line drying. The grooms at our barn wash everything constantly and I think it will be a challenge to keep these from being thrown in the dryer inadvertently. We currently put a "thinline comfort" 1/2 pad on our guy. I saw that they also sell a "Back on Track" pad with the "thinline" sewn on, but then we have the same issue with washing and line drying. I opted for two pads and we'll put the "thinline comfort" half pad on top. We'll still have the drying issue, but it is cheaper to buy 2 w/out the "thinline" sewn in and less of a $ loss if they find their way into a dryer. (which I know will happen sooner or later)

monalisa
Mar. 2, 2012, 03:54 PM
I use the wraps when I horse show. Have not used the other products but I do like the wraps.

Laurierace
Mar. 2, 2012, 03:55 PM
There are tons of threads on this subject so it might be more informative to read those but I love their stuff. My 24 year old wears his mesh sheet 24/7 when it is cold enough out to wear turnout sheet over top. It makes him think he is a 4 year old! The only product I didn't like was the hock boots. They worked well but rubbed a sore on the back of each hock so I no longer use them.

Denzel
Mar. 2, 2012, 04:16 PM
I looooove my Back On Track products, as do most of my barnmates. Most people have the Back Pad that they use while grooming and tacking up as well as after a ride. My first purchase was the exercise sheet, and after using it as a blanket for myself while in the freezing cold arena, I fell in love!

All the horses I have used it on immediately relax and snooze in the cross-ties while they wear it, even wiggly young horses. I just recently purchased No Bows for shows and long trips, a mesh sheet (which my horse only wears for 15-30 minutes before/after a ride, and will wear at shows) and a pair of socks for myself.

Definitely recommend the Back On Track products, works wonders for warming a horse especially in the frigid Canadian winters!

kmwines01
Mar. 2, 2012, 04:25 PM
Bought the hock boots for the mare I'm riding and she seems to really like them. She was coming back from some hock issues and theyve really helped her stay loose and keep any puffiness away. I just bought the socks for myself and I've only worn them once so I haven't noticed a huge change.

JustMyStyle
Mar. 2, 2012, 04:41 PM
I won't ride my mare in anything but a BOT pad. When it's cold I always put the mesh sheet on my mare for 30min before I ride and it's like getting on a different horse. Definitely recommend!

cmdrcltr
Mar. 2, 2012, 05:08 PM
I just bought the saddle pad for my horse who is cranky in our cold winter. It was amazing the difference; his warm-up time was much shorter! I can't afford any other products right now, so I put the saddle pad on for about 15 minutes while I'm grooming, or under his turnout for 15 minutes first if it's that cold. (But I've only had to do that once this winter :D) Then I saddle up and leave the saddle on for 5-10 minutes before I go out to warm up. He is definitely happier with the pad. Maybe in the future I'll invest in the sheet. :)

Florida Gator
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:19 PM
Does anyone know the life span on the BoT stuff? Is it supposed to be replaced due to the ceramic wearing out or anything? I've been thinking about getting the polos and the saddle pad.

Big_Grey_hunter
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:32 PM
Does anyone know the life span on the BoT stuff? Is it supposed to be replaced due to the ceramic wearing out or anything? I've been thinking about getting the polos and the saddle pad.

Someone asked this recently on Back on Track's facebook page. The answer was "The therapeutic cermaic fibers are woven directly into the fabric, so it never washes off. As long as the fabric is there and the item is wearable, it will do its job!"

rijkenberg
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:33 PM
I have the BOT quick wraps - worked wonders with a gelding that was on a bit of a come back - they went on right after he worked for a couple of hours - them he would go out for the night. Huge difference when he wore them - came in sound & happy every morning.

A lot of the competitive horses at our barn use the leg wraps every time the horses work hard - no poultice or linimint - with great results & happy horse.

I personally have a pair of the gloves & find they make a big difference - especially in the winter.

horse_rubber
Mar. 2, 2012, 10:28 PM
Love the BOT. I have the Quick wraps for my horse and they are great! I also have the back warmer pad that I use on my clients to warm up tough areas to massage. I put it over the spot, work somewhere else, and by the time I'm ready to work on that area, it's nice and warmed up and I can give a deeper massage.

dreaminOTTB
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:06 PM
I have an ankle brace and knee brace for myself (recovering from surgery to repair broken tib/fib). I wear them all day and would not ride without them. I did once and only lasted fifteen minutes. Tonight I rode for at least an hour, with the braces on, no pain in the knee.

My OTTB has arthritis in his hocks and I have the hock wraps on order for him, should be arriving in a few days.

JinxyPoo
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:54 PM
Anyone used the leg wraps in hot weather? My horse stocks up at away shows in the summer but it seems counter-intuitive to use heat when it's already 100 degrees out.

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 3, 2012, 12:51 AM
I completely stand by their products 100%. Well worth the money. :)

Anyone used the leg wraps in hot weather? My horse stocks up at away shows in the summer but it seems counter-intuitive to use heat when it's already 100 degrees out.

I have used them in hot weather and they still seem to work great.

koppem10
Mar. 3, 2012, 01:20 AM
I recently purchased the Quick Wraps and have only used them once so far... I was told that sometimes the horses can actually stock up with the first couple times of use?

Has anyone had any trouble with them?/Direct me to a thread if there is one already

anothersomeone
Mar. 3, 2012, 09:38 AM
Bump

Denzel
Mar. 3, 2012, 10:10 AM
The Back On Track rep at the most recent trade show recommended to combine with cold for best results. If you have a serious problem area, your best bet is to ice the area for 10 minutes (any longer than 15 becomes counter-intuitive), use the Back on Track product for 30-45 minutes and ice again for 10 minutes.

MoonLadyIsis
Mar. 3, 2012, 10:56 AM
One woman at my barn put the quick wraps on without reading the instructions. she left them on for 14 hours straight on the first use. Her horse's legs swelled but quickly came down with cold hosing. After that incident, the horse has been fine with them on. I use my quick wraps all summer long at horse shows where my horse can't get turned out. I also cut up a BOT t shirt and inserted the fabric into the boa hoof boots and use that for sore feetsies at shows. I am such a big BOT fan, I should become a rep!! I have a ton of their products and recently got my mother hooked on them as well for her arthritis. If you have any question, I have the phone number of a rep in my area. PM me and I can give her your number. She can answer any questions and is SUPER nice.

Rainrider
Mar. 3, 2012, 11:28 AM
I use the mesh sheet; it seems to help- my mare is sound and now I do not want to quit using it- not sure if the equine massage, slow work or the BOT worked- but together I have a sound horse-yahoo!!!!!

Iride
Mar. 3, 2012, 08:37 PM
Why can't you just take your Back on Track stuff home and wash them, air dry, then bring them back to the barn??

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 3, 2012, 09:35 PM
Why can't you just take your Back on Track stuff home and wash them, air dry, then bring them back to the barn??

I'd do this.. just show your grooms the things they shouldn't wash. The products are fairly expensive, and the directions say to line dry for a reason.

Gali's girl
Mar. 3, 2012, 09:59 PM
How long can you leave the products in for? I'm interested in the hock boots, but my last experience with something similar was the Norfields magnetic boots. With those you only wanted to leave them on for 30-45 minutes at a time, or else it could cause damage... Anyone know?