PDA

View Full Version : Most forward-flap saddles?

JumpSnoopy
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:32 AM
In my hunt for a new saddle, I've learned that I have an abnormally long hip to knee ratio (despite being only 5'4"). I recently tried a Butet with a forward flap that wasn't quite forward enough -- knee still came borderline close to sticking out in front of the flap. Are there any other brands I should be looking at that have a more forward forward flap than a Butet, for instance? I'll be at WEF next weekend and would like to shop around while I'm there.

DarkStarrx
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:38 AM
Oh wow are we twins? 5'4 with a massive hip to knee line. The Butet didn't fit me either. I sat in a CWD and an Antares that fit me.

Pony+ an inch
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:50 AM
If you can afford custom, CWD or a County. I have the latter and was lucky the flap on the demo saddle I purchased was somewhat forward and long (although not forward and long enough for a real well-fitting saddle). County can definitely do a very forward and long flap. This past year I sat in a trainer's (who basically has identical freakishly long femurs to mine) CWD, and holy cow it was heaven. I wish I had the finances to invest in a new saddle.

If you're doing off the rack, I'd see if you can find a Barnsby. They are good saddles for the price, and the flaps naturally sit more forward. I also believe there are wool-flocked (at least mine was when I owned it ten years ago), which imo is a bonus.

indygirl2560
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:51 AM
I'm 5'6 but have the same issue! If you're going custom, you can get lots if saddles wih a really forward flap. I had a 2aa flap Antares that fit really well and now a 3c cwd. I've found that the 3a flap option in devoucoux also works for me. Once you know your specs. you can browse around for nice used saddles too. Good luck!

LTLFLDF
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:57 AM
Bruno Delgrange also offers a variety of flaps. Depending on your riding style you may also consider where the twist in the seat is. A twist that is a little further back may also help accommodate a longer thigh.

All of the custom saddle companies are at WEF. Bruno Delgrange is by the warm up to the International Ring

tidy rabbit
Mar. 2, 2012, 01:19 PM
The Pessoa saddles are now offering a long forward flap. Might be worth talking to a rep about them. I've been considering one for my TB. Anyone seen one or tried one out?

silanac
Mar. 2, 2012, 01:19 PM
i have the same problem, though im 5'8". when i rode in college i was constantly picked on by our strength coaches for not getting 'deep enough' in my squat lifts...when i did i literally fell over. finally compared my hip to knee length with my 6'3 coach and we were identical. they stopped nagging me after that.

this is the hardest part to finding a good fitting saddle. i found that most forward flaps on County saddles work great. Also, Tad coffins are awesome. and you can find a used TC with a forward flap for 2-3k. If you contact County, theyll send you a demo saddle to try out for a bit. you can even buy their year old demo models at a reduced price. i went that route and was very pleased. then switched to a TC 2 years ago. love it!

bluebuckets
Mar. 3, 2012, 01:45 AM
I have the same problem, although I'm 5'8". I ride in a custom Antares, 17.5" seat, size 4AA flap with the customization RAR+10. It's the only saddle that's ever really fit me. One thing that was recommended to me by the Antares rep was a cutback tree. I didn't end up with that, but it might be an option.

I think any knowledgeable saddle rep should be able to match you up with a custom saddle that will fit you like a glove.

rugbygirl
Mar. 3, 2012, 11:18 AM
CWD.

Nothing else was close for me, including Antares...but I am really tall.

CWD can make you and your horse whatever you need. Really, really enjoyed working with our CWD rep, and was thrilled with the end result. That's Lisa Duke, incidentally, but I don't believe she'd be at WEF at the same time. Very nice to not have to be concerned about saddle fit...and I LOVE that once you have a seat that fits you, $500 will get you a completely new set of panels and tree modifications to fit any horse.

I did also enjoy the Equipe Expression for a long time, but the horse I used it on is a very narrow TB...I don't know the right words to say this...he's very tough for me to wrap my leg around, because there isn't ENOUGH of him. I think on a horse with a bigger body, the flap on the Equipe wouldn't really be long enough for me to jump in.

Sunnyhorse
Mar. 8, 2012, 03:43 PM
I have a long thigh, despite being 5'2", and ended up ordering a custom CWD because Nothing. Else. Fit. (I did try a Bates Elevation that had a very forward flap, but it was just too darn much saddle for me.)

Xanthoria
Mar. 8, 2012, 04:41 PM
Stubben Roxane S.

Ibex
Mar. 8, 2012, 04:43 PM
If you don't have the budget for full custom, I just bought a Prestige. They come in various degrees forwardness off the rack, and they seem to have resolved some of their leather quality issues of recent years...

candysgirl
Mar. 8, 2012, 05:13 PM
There are a few different Stubben models geared toward a long femur. I'm 5'5" with legs are as long as my 6'1" father and I do well in Stubbens.

mvp
Mar. 8, 2012, 05:25 PM
Barnsby saddles, also Jeffries, and the Exselle Debut. That blond Exselle thing (built as their answer to the Original DelGrange) has a crazy forward flap.

All of these are off-the-shelf Crosby-esque quality British saddles. They are fairly priced for what they are and won't break the bank like a custom frenchie. Though a DelGrange will be a great investment for the long-femured.

Horsezee
Mar. 8, 2012, 05:38 PM
I have the same problem, although I'm 5'8". I ride in a custom Antares, 17.5" seat, size 4AA flap with the customization RAR+10. It's the only saddle that's ever really fit me. One thing that was recommended to me by the Antares rep was a cutback tree. I didn't end up with that, but it might be an option.

I think any knowledgeable saddle rep should be able to match you up with a custom saddle that will fit you like a glove.

My daughter rides in a 17" Antares with a 4 AB flap. Now that she is doing jumpers; she could really use a 4 AAB flap. I am looking for a lightly used saddle to fit her.

She tried an almost new PJ lite (Del Grange?) in a 17 1/2" with a #4 A flap. Her her knees were over the front of the saddle flaps and the seat was obviously too big. She was not a fan of the narrow twist either.

The search for the elusive saddle continues.

MariaV
Mar. 11, 2012, 08:12 PM
I have the exact same problem and I am also 5'4" I ended up in the Arc De Triomphe and they are the only saddle I've found that is forward enough, both the CWD and Antares weren't quite enough flap for me to be able to jack up my stirrups for the ponies. But seat size does play a small role in the femur length department so if you try a half size up from where you are now that could possibly alleviate some of the problem. In Antares and CWD I tried the 17.5 and almost fit but in the ADT I have a 17 that's roomy and more comfortable than anything else I've sat in because it actually fits, Good luck =]

ace**
Mar. 12, 2012, 01:07 PM
Another less expensive option might be the Kentaur saddles, if you can find an american distributor.
http://www.kentaur.cz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=1&lang=en

I have the Kentaur Naxxos and absolutely love it. They come in several different flap lengths (my 17.5inch long flap looks like a completely different saddle from my friends 18 inch extra short flap!), and are a similar price range to the Jeffries. I think the Kentaur's and Jeffries fit different horse body types. When the saddle fitter came to our barn, the two of us that have high wither "V-shape" types (TB and tall lanky Arab) fit the Kentaur, and two others with less prominent withers and more of a "U-shape" (Paint and QH) bought the Jeffries.

This is the shop I bought my Kentaur from in Canada:
http://equi-products.com/

LTLFLDF
Mar. 12, 2012, 09:29 PM
I just want to clarify that PJ USA & Bruno Delgrange are two separate companies. If you try a PJ made by Delgrange it would be a few years old and will be stamped made in France and by Bruno Delgrange.

NancyM
Mar. 13, 2012, 05:28 AM
I have a very forward flap flat hunter saddle, seat measures 16 1/2 so I thought it was my size. Bought it quickly, brought it home to try it out. I'm 5'3". I SWIM in this saddle, it is way too big/forward in the flap for me. I think it must be an old custom long/forward flap saddle. It's narrow treed. Needs long legged person with small butt and narrow horse. Anybody interested? I'd trade for a wider fitting flat hunter saddle, for a shorter legged person.

Mouse&Bay
Mar. 13, 2012, 07:48 AM
I'm with you OP - also 5'4" (if I stand really tall) and a long thigh.

In my saddle shopping experience two worked really well - the Courbette vision (might not be appropriate for hunter A shows due to the two tone colour but man does it work on .every. horse in the barn) or a Barnsby Schokemohle. The Barnsby is lovely, balanced and I've had them on many horses with no complaints. The Barnsby has slightly 'flatter' padding if you know what I mean, sits closer to the horses back but with the cut back pommel and a really wide gullet all the four foots seems to like it.

Good luck.

Spooks
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:17 AM
I went through this. The first saddle I got was a Courbette Vision, which fit me and my horse but it has HUGE knee rolls that really made it hard to achieve proper leg position.

The other saddle that fit me well was the Exselle Debut (did not fit my horse, but otherwise I really liked it). Some of the Barnsbys also worked for me. Ultimately I got a Forestier Calgary and it's perfect :), though I think that brand is not easy to find in the US.

If the custom saddles are not in your budget I would suggest starting with the Exselle.

LDavis104
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:03 PM
I have a Black Country Quantum with a forward flap (and I think it has options for an even MORE forward flap). I love it!
http://www.blackcountrysaddles.com/saddles/jumping/35

BarbB
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:44 PM
Stubben Roxane S.

You beat me to it. I think that is about as forward as you can get without designed one yourself. LOVE that saddle.

Hinderella
Mar. 13, 2012, 02:07 PM
The Stubben Siegfried CS (very different from the regular Siegfried has a forward flap. It is a close contact saddle with a small block under a padded (but not heavily padded) flap

twotonejobber
Mar. 13, 2012, 08:26 PM
Luc Childrics have alot of forward flap options as well. I'm 5'7" with a super long thigh, I tried many others before finding these.

Langfuhr
Mar. 14, 2012, 02:08 AM
Devoucoux Ioldy is about as forward as I can think of..

JumperTurns
Mar. 14, 2012, 02:56 AM
I have a Toulouse Legano +4cm forward flap and it fits my long legged body perfectly. I'm 5'6", maybe 5'7", but alllllll leg. My legs are the same length as my 6'2" guy friend. Here's me in the saddle:
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa433/momo1001/side.jpg

This was before the saddle was balanced, so it might fit a teensy bit differently, but you get the gist.

Horsezee
Mar. 14, 2012, 03:49 AM
I just want to clarify that PJ USA & Bruno Delgrange are two separate companies. If you try a PJ made by Delgrange it would be a few years old and will be stamped made in France and by Bruno Delgrange.

Yes; the PJ Lite my daughter tried was stamped made in 08 and it was made in France but it had only been girthed up a few times.

The problem with the French saddles is the inconsistancy betweens saddles. You can have two saddles made by the same maker, marked the same size/configuration and yet the saddles can look and fit differently. I am convinced this has something to due with fine wine. :)