PDA

View Full Version : Cooling/Venting Tack Room

KrazyTBMare
Mar. 2, 2012, 12:04 AM
How does everyone keep their tack rooms ventilated and cool? Specifically in areas that are HOT and very HUMID.

I was thinking I did not want a window AC unit because I really want to limit pollen and all coming in along with bugs. I have seen the split wall units but they are def larger and more expensive. Is it possible to install a window unit into the wall LIKE a window? If that makes sense.

Ive also seen the portable AC units that are also dehumidifiers at the same time. I know I will need a dehumidifier regardless but worry about how these seem to need to have the water bucket dumped often.

With my horrible allergies, I really want to try to keep the door and window closed but still get air flow. We were thinking of exhaust fans but Ive been reading that you cant exhaust more air than is coming in.

This is our first time enclosing a room and dealing with this and Im just not sure on the practical, cost effective way to do it. Thanks

BasqueMom
Mar. 2, 2012, 01:07 PM
We've tried the window unit but it was iffy with amount of electric available to the barn. Almost fried some foster kittens when it started tripping the breaker. It keep the room about 20 degree cooler than outside.

Have a metal barn, no shade, 12 x 24 tack room, 3 windows and french doors.
The door and two windows get morning sun, the south window sun most of the day. Keep the windows open in the summer and set a box fan in one to
exhaust some air.

I've contemplated a dehumidifer, and putting a hose to the outside to let it drain. Most of my tack is in the house or garage for now. The inside metal walls are covered with spots of black mold. I'd love to powerwash the inside of the room.

Would also like to use the spray foam insulation on the ceiling. A local vet
clinic has done that in their inside/outside areas and it makes a big difference.

I've thought one of those a/c units you can roll around but again not enough
electricity available.

JSwan
Mar. 2, 2012, 03:55 PM
I use a window unit and haven't noticed any problem with bugs or pollen. I just ensure it is mounted properly. It's taken down in the winter. Barn has sufficient amperage and correct wiring and outlets. It gets hot and humid here and that side of the barn has no shade.

Tack/feed room is 12x12 with a very high ceiling. Insulated, with a sink, counters, and cabinets. Nothing fancy, just functional.

GallopHer
Mar. 2, 2012, 04:31 PM
I have a de-humidifier in my tack room. I set it to run 2-4 hous per day, 3-4 days per week - depending on the weather. My tack room is 10x10 and it is not insulated. I empty the water reservoir as needed, but I've never required a hose. But, the barn is at my house and I can dump the water daily, if needed.

KrazyTBMare
Mar. 2, 2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks guys.

JSwan, def info I wanted to hear. I am really thinking of the window unit but I have never personally used one so wasnt sure. I have enough power and wiring and all for it just wasnt sure about bugs and all. I want the tack room to be my safe haven. lol

Do any of yall have pics of your tack rooms? I am now at the decorating and planning stage (frame, insulation, walls, ceiling, wiring, outlets, switches done). I need to get whatever Im putting on the walls (likely beadboard or some type of paneling), floor (probably vinyl tile), ceiling (probably paneling too over the plywood), and then my cabinets (which I already have picked out and properly measured, etc).

I think I know how I want it laid out but still not positive. Im very visual and need to SEE things so it really helps to see others.

JSwan
Mar. 2, 2012, 07:25 PM
The only thing I don't like about it is that it is heavy. I need help getting it in and out because I have a bad back.

Funny that you mention breadboard. I used it to line the walls of the aisle, and I stained it. By the time I got to the tack room I was so sick of the barn building project I didn't do anything nice with the tack room. Just painted it. But this summer I intend to line part of it with bead board and stain it. It was pretty easy to do, even for me as I am very clumsy and sloppy.

Floor is sealed concrete with an inexpensive rug. Got stock upper and lower cabinets from Home Depot. Countertop was a remnant on sale. Steel sink, small fridge and microwave (nice to have a cup of hot tea while cleaning tack after hunting!) I bought a couple of chairs from a thrift store. Blanket storage above cabinets.

Nothing fancy at all. Nothing really expensive. The chairs were cheap so I don't freak about wet/muddy farm dogs, or dirty boots or anything.

Guess you don't have to worry about heat but I just use an oil filled radiator.

ESG
Mar. 2, 2012, 07:41 PM
Do the window unit. It doesn't have to be installed in a window to be effective. Make sure the BTUs on the unit match your room size. Do NOT get a dehumidifier, especially in Florida; you'll be spending all the hours God sends and then some, emptying the bucket, and it still won't keep your tack from turning green.

DH installed a window unit in our last tack room, which he lined entirely in tongue-and-groove, and stained a light honey gold. Window unit kept the room cool, with minimal electric use. I'd highly recommend it.

KrazyTBMare
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:46 PM
Can you guys post pics of the a/c units in your rooms as hubby is saying its going to look "ghetto". Lol since when did men care how things look? He's concerned that it won't look good BC the window is going to be over the sink.

JSwan
Mar. 3, 2012, 08:54 AM
Well... not ghetto but maybe white trash? :D

The unit isn't up in this photo, and I was starting spring cleaning. I'd spilled some grain in the tack room and the chickens made a beeline for it.

JSwan
Mar. 3, 2012, 08:57 AM
Here's a photo of it under construction.

LauraKY
Mar. 3, 2012, 03:35 PM
They make units specifically to go through an opening in the wall. They're more efficient too. Just google through the wall air conditioners.

KrazyTBMare
Mar. 3, 2012, 05:50 PM
I did but they are like 3-4 times more expensive. The room is only 10x11 so not big at all.

Though I will say it was much cooler in there today after having the insulation in it all night long. Didn't allow it to warm up as much as the sun came out.

ponygirl
Mar. 3, 2012, 09:15 PM
The biggest thing we did was to fully insulate and enclose the tack room. Doing this made a world of difference with regards to keeping it cool and less humid.

We also have an a/c unit that we installed into the wall as opposed to putting it in the window. It works great and I have no issues with pollen or bugs. I will say I rarely have to run it even in August.

KrazyTBMare
Mar. 4, 2012, 12:12 AM
Ah perfect. That's what I think we are going to do. Its fully enclosed and insulated now, even the ceiling and already cooler. I just wasn't sure if a window unit could go in a wall framed out.

judybigredpony
Mar. 4, 2012, 06:22 AM
I use a small portable window unit, I don't see any bugs or pollen coming in?? I do mount it correctly seal up around it and keep it angled/tilted so it drains well clear or bran side. My tackroom 12x24 gets sun all day long has a 6.5ft ceiling that is insulted. We also addded a screen door so when its nice out we can keep steel door open turn on fan to ventilate. Windows are useless sun beats in all day. Keeps tack from molding and nice respite from heat while mucking....

ponygirl
Mar. 4, 2012, 07:37 AM
Ah perfect. That's what I think we are going to do. Its fully enclosed and insulated now, even the ceiling and already cooler. I just wasn't sure if a window unit could go in a wall framed out.

I can take photos if you'd like. :)

KrazyTBMare
Mar. 4, 2012, 12:58 PM
That would be great!

Valentina_32926
Mar. 4, 2012, 01:11 PM
My SO installed a small window unit in the wall but we never used it. Now (No windows that open) we have just closed up the room air tight and I keep the door closed to keep out the heat. I leave the door ajar at night to cool off the room and close it up tight during the day. I also clode the top of my french doors so that sunlight is prevented from coming into the barn during the day - that also helps cool things off.