PDA

View Full Version : Do you do this too??

JumpingAddict93
Mar. 1, 2012, 08:19 PM
Now that i have my own horse again...and a job now.... i find myself trying to find things to buy for her! I have written down everything i want to get for her...most of it she doesnt NEED, and keep trying to find more stuff i can eventually get her.
I got a lime green and pink binder with folders, dividers, and paper to keep track of her everything... my boyfriend makes fun of me because i have a progress section where i can log her progress being an OTTB....
do u guys do this or am i the only "little girl"?:lol:

Ainsley688
Mar. 1, 2012, 08:48 PM
Nope, I am constantly looking for things to buy my two...like Baker sheets, and pretty blankets, coolers, ect. Neither of them wears a blanket....lol!

MoonLadyIsis
Mar. 1, 2012, 08:49 PM
I do this too!! It is terrible! Especially when I get like 10 emails a day tell from tack stores telling me their sales!! Or whenever I go into tractor supply and see treats, I just see their cute little begging faces in my head and feel guilty not buying a bag...The only thing worse than forlorn puppy eyes are forlorn horsey eyes....

JumpingAddict93
Mar. 1, 2012, 09:00 PM
Hahaha i do the same with the treats...ive been in agway and tractor supply like 5 times this week....making sure there wasnt anything else i could get....sucks cause neither one of them have a whole lot of nice things! I think they think im crazy cause i go in and look and dont end up buying anything....only cause i figure if i dont buy the little stuff i can save up for the big stuff!

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 1, 2012, 09:05 PM
My horse has four different blankets. Everything has to match. I feel giddy when a trainer tells me I need such-and-such a bit because that means I get to go shopping.

One of my goals in life is to start selling tack on eBay because I have so much stuff, still, and I have sold two saddles and miscellaneous dressage tack since switching disciplines recently.

Now I get to buy more stuff that's brown!!!

msrobin
Mar. 1, 2012, 09:12 PM
You are NOT alone in this situation. We are what keeps tack shops in business. One can never have too much stuff :-)

JumpingAddict93
Mar. 1, 2012, 09:13 PM
Haha yes all the colors have to match....and its hard to find everything in one color when its lime green!

GingerJumper
Mar. 1, 2012, 09:37 PM
My horse has four different blankets. Everything has to match. I feel giddy when a trainer tells me I need such-and-such a bit because that means I get to go shopping.

Ditto! I love bit shopping! And all horse shopping really... My tack shop of choice doesn't even ask for my info anymore, all the staff know who I am. And they know to never tell me how much it's all costing because I don't want to feel slightly guilty. :lol:

Calvincrowe
Mar. 1, 2012, 09:41 PM
Sadly, no. I have learned that my mortgage, car payment and other family bills take precedent over excess horse purchases. I will pick an item up at a tack store, walk around with it for minutes, then stop, think and put it back. If I have one or something similar--then that will have to do. My horses have older, serviceable blankets, and tack. If it breaks, I generally repair it, if I can. I guess I'm a curmudgeon;)

bits619
Mar. 1, 2012, 09:43 PM
I don't own the horse i ride, he has two blankets that are just fine and suit him and the mild winter perfectly... But I swear, if Tack of the mutha-truckin Day has ONE more turn out sheet on sale... I don't know how long I can hold out :-)

He also doesn't need... Let me count, four different types of treats hiding in my tack box, not including the occasional homemade batch I bring with me. But some days I think he might want the Mrs Pastures, or maybe the nicker makers? And if apple isn't the flavor du jour, maybe Peppermint? Starlight mints or big old bucket of green dobbins delights??

My bigger temptation right now is show clothes... Even though I'm not sure if I'll show this season!

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 1, 2012, 10:25 PM
I used to do the same thing. My favorite thing to do is go online (usually SmartPak), shop around, and add 15-20 items I want to buy to my cart. Then I sit down and figure out how much of those things I really NEED, which I leave in the cart. How much of those things I need, but can wait a little while to get, which I add to a folder in my bookmarks. And what I want but don't need, which I reluctantly remove from my cart.
That way I can still go on online shopping sprees, but don't end up paying for things I don't actually need. :P
It's taken a while to get to that point, but now I find myself walking around "people stores" thinking "I don't really NEED another pair of jeans.. and if I don't get them, that's $50 I can put towards tack." :lol:

hequestrian
Mar. 2, 2012, 12:31 AM
I am definitely a horse shop-a-holic. I love to buy new bits... girths... bridles... saddle pads (as they are generally what i can afford)... Luckily Hue fits in my pretty much unused Baker blanket so he will get to wear that if its ever winter here... Its been very mild so far.

I was so excited when I got Houston (my new guy) and could buy new coolers (2- 1 with neck 1 w/o), turnouts (he has 3 now of different weights). He has a new halter with a shiny name plate... I have already purchased 2 bits... which of course he detested but I am keeping them "in case"

And I just bought another and it is on its way from smartpak... I also bought a centaur fleece deal that is on sale to use for layering under turnouts.

Bits619 I totally feel you with TOTD... I almost bought the BitOfBritain sheet the other day but resisted the urge!

Glad Im not the only addict!

I have also been a window shopper for saddles as of late but I need to sell mine before any new ones are acquired.

HobbyHorse101
Mar. 2, 2012, 03:34 AM
I like to buy shiny western show shirts even though I do not own a western horse.........

JumpingAddict93
Mar. 2, 2012, 06:18 AM
Hahaha hobby horse....that actually made me laugh...thats funny :)

bizbachfan
Mar. 2, 2012, 07:22 AM
I too am a horse shopaholic. I spend more time and money on stuff for my horse than I do for myself by far. I also make sure my horse has every supplement, shampoo, etc that she needs and she never misses a vet/farrier appointment. I can't remember the last time I had a dr. check up :)
My horse has multiple fly sheets, winter sheets, fly boots, fly masks and I never leave Tractor supply without the large bag of treats........I need a therapy group!

myalter1
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:47 AM
calvncrowe... you and me both!

Opus1
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:12 AM
Even though I don't even own a horse yet, I do lots and lots of window shopping, bookmark favorite items, compare prices, etc.

But I did buy my own saddle last year, and have made some saddle pad purchases, and a set of grooming tools for use for my lessons, fly spray, treats ... Basically, I try not to buy anything I don't actually need-need. I limit myself to wandering around in places like Tractor Supply, so that whatever I pick up is actually more likely to be something practical (sprays, leather oil, brushes, treats) than buying things online because they're cheap or shiny or both. :)

Star's Ascent
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:24 AM
I LOVE to buy new stuff my filly doesn't need! When we are having an especially good ride and I am super proud of her I have an obsessive desire to buy her something to show her how awesome she is. I'm glad I'm not alone!

Sport
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:47 AM
Sport has everything he could ever need, all in nice respectable navy blue. He had a chat with the animal communicator and told her he really liked red. My response was he can't like red that much as most of his ribbons are pink. :-)
However whenever I am shopping I see something in red and have to stop myself as his blue stuff is perfectly acceptable.
I am curious how much the local tack shoppe paid the animal communicator. :-)

Claudius
Mar. 2, 2012, 04:01 PM
I am lucky to live near a very successful used horse stuff shop...saddles to blankets and everything inbetween!! that helps the pocketbook. And like Calvincrow I walk around with "stuff" considering, and usually put it back and leave empty handed. One week in a flurry I bought a dark green shadbelly, white shirt and stock....because for the first time in a long time I was showing in the NAL Classic. fortunately , they allow returns....I knew it was overkill as I drove home!!!

And I too keep a diary on my training....it is really helpful over the months to read what worked, what feed adjustments made a difference etc. and I think it is a very valid thing to do. You are not crazy!!!! (o:* ( or , on the other hand, if you are, so am I!!)

JumpingAddict93
Mar. 2, 2012, 04:14 PM
Haha i kept hearing how people would buy all this stuff for their horse...but not the diary thing....im so gpad u wrote that!! Maybe we are crazy!!

Trevelyan96
Mar. 2, 2012, 06:41 PM
Total tackaholic here. The kind that needs an intervention. I have an especially serious problem regarding saddle pads, and thanks to Smartpak Barn Buddies, monogramming.

I also adore riding clothes. I will plunk down and obscene amount of money for a pair of breeches, tech fabric riding shirt, jackets, and boots, but cringe when I have to buy nice work clothes. I think I ride vicariously through my wardrobe. My trainer makes fun of me, but I just laugh and say that as bad as I ride, I at least want to look halfway decent when they load me onto the ambulance and take me to the ER.

JumpingAddict93
Mar. 2, 2012, 07:04 PM
Hahaha thats funny! We should all start an intervention....i guess my instructor is the saddle padaholic too....i will buy one only if it has lime green (she has to match!) Wow im glad im not the only one!

TB7
Mar. 2, 2012, 07:23 PM
My horse has four different blankets. Everything has to match.

THIS.

People will cringe but my 26 y/o pony who KNOWS she is a princess has everything in pink.

I simply refuse to buy her a blanket if it's not pink. She has 2 t/os and a sheet that are pink, a stable blanket she never uses, halter, lead, flymask, ALL grooming supplies (which were a birthday gift one year from a friend), saddle pads, girth fuzzy, bareback pad, saddle cover, polos, stall guard, I even got a custom bridle bag to be hot pink and purple.

On the bright side - no one will ever mistake something of my pony's or want to steal it...unless it is a little girl.

I used this same philosophy with my laptop in college. It had My Little Pony and Beauty and the Beast stickers on it. No one was going to steal that laptop.

Horse is more lenient and I doubt he cares at all (except he's scared to death of the pink longe line, but is fine with his blue one), but all his things are in blue/green except his mid-weight onesie T/O which only came in red.

I learned from a girl who used to ride my pony when both were younger that pony LOVED fruit snacks and Nature Valley granola bars. So I bought some for her. I made sure that when my boyfriend needed a granola bar, he didn't take the favorite flavors.

For awhile I was buying cases of Uncle Jimmy's Licky Things for my horses because they would get one every time I came...and devour them within 20 min. $80 a case (including shipping). UNNECESSARY. But ponies did not think so.

billiebob
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:13 PM
You know what's really fun? Playing "I Wish" and putting all my dream items in my Smartpak cart to see just how much I'd spend without a real budget. Usually makes me cringe! Just make sure you don't hit the "checkout" button. :lol:

Now that my horse has multiples of everything, I limit myself pretty severely unless something is a screaming good deal. There are occasional splurges--his Christmas present was this wonderful cooler, which looks *awesome* on him (http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/rambo-newmarket-fleece-cooler-3883p.aspx?cm_vc=Search). I'm also looking for an excuse to get another figure 8 bridle......as soon as I have some spare cash, that is. His birthday's next week, may as well get him a present :winkgrin:.

I don't keep a training diary, but I do like to take videos periodically. It's nice to watch your hard work pay off!

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:28 PM
Have you ever changed your mind about an online purchase but neglected to empty your shopping cart?

Three days later you get an email: Hello! Did you forget something?

:lol: No, I didn't forget it!

hequestrian
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:33 PM
Haha i kept hearing how people would buy all this stuff for their horse...but not the diary thing....im so gpad u wrote that!! Maybe we are crazy!!

I keep a diary of sorts but I add it on my blog- I try to make a post every day or so and generally talk about what we worked on and how he was which is a lot of the same stuff right now. I think it is great to keep a journal or diary so you can look back on the things you are doing etc.

RockstarPony
Mar. 3, 2012, 12:49 AM
Yes to both! I don't even own a horse & I still have a mental catalogue of everything I could possibly justify buying. I sometimes catch myself getting frustrated that the horse I half-lease already has so many saddle pads; it means I can't buy him any!

Because I only ride a few times a week, the journal is super helpful for keeping track of what we worked on & what I want to work on later, especially if I don't ride for a few days.

HobbyHorse101
Mar. 3, 2012, 01:18 AM
Hahaha hobby horse....that actually made me laugh...thats funny :)

It's the only thing I buy that they don't & probably will never need. I like to look at shiny western saddles too. I keep telling my perfectly happy being a hunter, hunter that he is going to learn western riding or something so I can wear shiny things.