PDA

View Full Version : Best reference work for the new farm owner?

Lori B
Mar. 1, 2012, 03:42 PM
I have a good friend who just bought a 30+ acre property which she is going to turn into her pony dream farm. It's an ex-dairy farm, not much fencing, what there is, is barbed wire, a big barn, some random outbuildings, gorgeous grass, trees, plenty of space, but TONS of work to be done, mainly by her and boyfriend.

So farm peeps, I'm asking you, if I want to get her a book about managing acreage, horse property improvements and management, etc., what do you all find useful and worth referring to? Recommendations please!

Trevelyan96
Mar. 1, 2012, 03:58 PM
Cherry Hill's 'Horsekeeping on Small Acreage' is excellent, even if your friend has more acreage, it will still be a great reference.

mpsbarnmanager
Mar. 1, 2012, 04:38 PM
Cherry Hill's 'Horsekeeping on Small Acreage' is excellent, even if your friend has more acreage, it will still be a great reference.

This!! It's very good. Also maybe check out Horse housing, talks some about converting dairy barns I think. Cherry Hill is great!

Lori B
Mar. 1, 2012, 05:09 PM
There's a separate volume on Horse Housing? Cool. (she already has the other book. ) Please keep 'em coming.

Ibex
Mar. 1, 2012, 05:30 PM
I would have thought it would be http://www.boozemixer.com/ or something of the like :lol:

Lori B
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:42 AM
Ibex, I like how you think. Also love your tagline. :-)

Stellaspeed
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:43 AM
I have : Building Small Barns,Sheds and Shelters, by Monte Burch
Horse Keeping on Small Acreage by Cherry Hill
and Barns, plan,design,build, by John D Wagner

send me a Pm and I'll pop all three in the mail to you.

Pay it Forward.

IronwoodFarm
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:52 AM
Better than books -- they should make an effort to meet other people who have horse farms and see what they did. You can learn a great deal by talking to others about their experiences. It save me a great deal of time and money. I always talk about developing a farm to anyone who asks me as my experience may be helpful to them. I can definitely tell you what worked and didn't work for me, what has been a huge time saver, what is a must-have, what is extra, etc.

Books are all well and good, but nothing is better than live visits. Farm tours can be good. If they don't know anyone, check with the county extension service for possible people to talk with.

The other plus you get from talking to people is that you get referrals to contractors. That's how I got my water installed, my electric installed, found my hay supplier, found my excator for the ring and barn pad.....it's really word of mouth.

Alagirl
Mar. 2, 2012, 10:00 AM
The selfsufficient life and how to live it, by John Seymour
It has a little of everything in it, all kinds of critter keeping, matters of the fields or house and how to make stuff in different ways.

Lori B
Mar. 2, 2012, 10:06 AM
Ironwood Farm, they are doing all of that. I am just trying to find a few books that would make nice and useful gifts. For me, I never regret having good reference books around.