PDA

View Full Version : Half chaps on a budget

kmwines01
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:05 PM
Hi all, I'm looking for some new half chaps. The caveat is that I don't really want to spend over $100 or around there. I don't use them all that often but my others are stretched out and too big so when I do use them they get all twisted around. I was looking at

Tredstep Profile II
Tredstep Victory stretch
Ovation equistretch
Ariat Concord
Ovation precision
Ariat volants lightly used on Ebay for $95

Any suggestions regarding these brands? I've had the suede and would prefer to stay away from those.

Florida Gator
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:08 PM
I've had leather Tredsteps for years, I think they were a $180 version but their products seem to last. Mine are still in perfect shape, they just need new zipper pulls (the actual zippers are still fine though).

BAC
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:22 PM
I have two pairs of the leather Tredsteps Deluxe, they seem very durable, both are many years old and still in use, also had a pair of the Tredstep suede half chaps which also lasted a long time. I am not familiar with the Tredsteps you mentioned though. I have heard Dublin is good value for the price, although I have no personal experience with them. Ovation products seem to be good quality at reasonable prices, so that might be a good one to try.

alto
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:30 PM
Try some of the closeout styles such as those at Dover (http://www.doversaddlery.com/closeouts/c/8000/filter/100000000007eq100000003741or100000003739/)

kmwines01
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately most of the closeout ones at Dover are right around my size but not my size :(

alto
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:53 PM
Sizing is a funny thing - I'll use Ariat as my example as there are several models in the local shops, even though Ariat uses pretty much the same size chart for their half chaps (& boots) nowadays, for example, the Close Contact half chap fits very differently than the Classic ... so if you find some chaps that are close to your size (& they're returnable & shipping is not crazy), get several in to try.

seespotrun
Mar. 1, 2012, 02:11 PM
You should register at tackoftheday.com. They often have the higher end half chaps for half price. As well as many other wonderful things:)

kmwines01
Mar. 1, 2012, 02:20 PM
I'm nervous about sizing which is why I'm often not super comfortable buying things online but our local store only carries two brands. For the Dover closeout sales, do they do returns on those items? I know Smartpak does free returns so I've been trying to look there mostly.

Pancakes
Mar. 1, 2012, 03:15 PM
I love my Dublin half chaps. They were like $50 or something? Wear them 3-4 times a week, never clean them, and they have held up beautifully for over a year.

Gnomeland
Mar. 1, 2012, 03:34 PM
Love my two pairs of Tredstep Deluxe half chaps. They've lasted two years of consistent abuse. ;)

janiemerle
Mar. 1, 2012, 03:34 PM
Another vote for Dublin. They are sturdy and comfortable.

Angry Bird
Mar. 2, 2012, 08:11 AM
The Ariat Breeze is very nice and not expensive. They're super comfortable and have been holding up well.:D

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/ariat-breeze-half-chaps/SLT901588/

pwrpfflynn
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:54 PM
I love my Ariat Concords. I have had 2 pair now. love the way the zipper is on the back making them look more like tall boots. suede inside but you can see it when you are riding. Love Love Love them : )

Celeritas
Mar. 2, 2012, 10:35 PM
After killing 2 pairs of Tredsteps in less than a year each, I opted to replace them with the Ovation Precision, and they just came today from Dover. They are almost an exact knock-off of the Tredstep Deluxe, the leather is a little bit thinner, the inside calf panel is different, and the zipper seems a little less heavy-duty, but out of the box I really like them. I figure for $100 I won't be as mad if they die in less than a year.

RolyPolyPony
Mar. 3, 2012, 08:46 AM
I third the Dublins, though they're not on your list - both the easy-care and the normal suede ones do not die EVER. And both types are very inexpensive.

GingerJumper
Mar. 3, 2012, 09:14 AM
Dublins or Ovations are my favorites by far. I don't like spending $$$ on chaps (I put them through too much abuse, lol!) and I've been super impressed by the quality for the price and how durable they are.

Lord Helpus
Mar. 3, 2012, 09:35 AM
Make sure you try on the exact 1/2 chaps you want at your local tack shop (if you are getting one of their brands). I did and found out that I am a different size in both calf measurement and heigh between Ariat and Tredstep. And even within a brand, some models fit a lot better than others.

I forget which one I really liked at the tack store, and which I bought online for a lot less, but when they came and there was no little lady to help me zip them, I could not get the zipper started. It was a small zipper with a small pull tab and it zipped up the back, starting at the bottom.

I tried for over a half hour , then realized how stupid it was, so I sent them back.

(Personally I like Tredstep better; the Ariats have the triangle of leather which goes over the front of the paddock boots. I found out that it did not lie flat and looked silly.)

PaintPony
Mar. 3, 2012, 09:54 AM
I bought these recently:
http://www.statelinetack.com/item/ovation-ladies-pro-top-grain-half-chaps/SLT901716/

They are very nice looking and extremely comfortable - I'm very happy with them!

huntereq1991
Mar. 3, 2012, 10:49 AM
It doesn't look like anyone has suggested Grand Prix half chaps yet. I love mine! They put up with a lot of abuse and still clean up to look new. They usually retail around $200 at Dover, but I got them for a super deal- about $80 on sale! If you look around, you might be able to find a good deal on some of the more expensive brands. I know sizing can be tricky, as I had to order three various brands/sizes before I finally got to these. Just be sure the store has a good return policy, and you really can find some good deals. Good luck!

CaitlinandTheBay
Mar. 3, 2012, 11:34 AM
I am in love with my Pro-Chaps (they're on the dover closeout). I've had them for a little over a year now, wearing them everyday (usually 8-14 hours a day) and they still look great. They are a bit hot in the summer (what isn't hot in a Texas summer?), but they look nice, repel water, and fit nicely. I have noticed that they've stretch a bit, but I as in between sizes and bought a size down, so that's okay. I would definitely purchase another pair.

Gray Horse H/J
Mar. 3, 2012, 12:10 PM
I just bought a pair of Ovation Precision Fits a few weeks ago. So far I love them, so I hope they last. It's only my second pair of half chaps ever. The suede Ariat half chaps I had before lasted me about six years. I wore those things into the ground! Before that I wore either boots and breeches or full chaps for every ride.

But yes, so far I love them!

Giddy-up
Mar. 4, 2012, 03:50 PM
After killing 2 pairs of Tredsteps in less than a year each, I opted to replace them with the Ovation Precision, and they just came today from Dover. They are almost an exact knock-off of the Tredstep Deluxe, the leather is a little bit thinner, the inside calf panel is different, and the zipper seems a little less heavy-duty, but out of the box I really like them. I figure for $100 I won't be as mad if they die in less than a year.

I just bought a pair of Ovation Precision Fits a few weeks ago. So far I love them, so I hope they last. It's only my second pair of half chaps ever. The suede Ariat half chaps I had before lasted me about six years. I wore those things into the ground! Before that I wore either boots and breeches or full chaps for every ride.

But yes, so far I love them!

I am considering a pair of Ovation Precision Fit, but would like to hear more from people who have them. The only person I know with a pair rides so inconsistently you can't judge if they are going to hold up. I do like the variety in sizes & the 19" height option is great. I wonder about the zipper lasting?? The pair I tried on seemed so so...like if you are very gentle it will be ok, but we all know that doesn't always happen.

Please report back!!! :)

JustABay
Mar. 4, 2012, 04:47 PM
I found a pair of Can-Pro half chaps that are comfy, tall enough and are only $75! They seem to be of decent quality - however my $400+ Dy'ons are scratching the hell out of my saddle and are now banished to my tack trunk, so highest quality isn't always the be all and end all!

http://www.canpro-horseequipment.com/productlist.asp?thismode=list&category=100170

Celeritas
Mar. 4, 2012, 06:31 PM
I am considering a pair of Ovation Precision Fit, but would like to hear more from people who have them. The only person I know with a pair rides so inconsistently you can't judge if they are going to hold up. I do like the variety in sizes & the 19" height option is great. I wonder about the zipper lasting?? The pair I tried on seemed so so...like if you are very gentle it will be ok, but we all know that doesn't always happen.

Please report back!!! :)

Yeah I agree about the zipper, I'm a little concerned about the durability. But I figure I won't be as mad if they die in less than a year because they were only $100, rather than my $160 Treadsteps that were dead in 9 months! I have ridden in them 3 times so far and they are stretching out nicely. I got them 1" taller than my last pair and they're still a little tall, but once they're broken in they will be perfect. I really don't think you can tell the difference between them and the Treadstep Deluxe from a distance.

ChagrinSaddlery
Mar. 4, 2012, 11:02 PM
We carry the full Tredstep line and it is awesome but my best selling half chap is the Perris professional half chap. It fits great, is soft, stylish and is well under $100. Hope this helps.

Mukluk
Mar. 4, 2012, 11:35 PM
I love my Dublin half chaps. They were like $50 or something? Wear them 3-4 times a week, never clean them, and they have held up beautifully for over a year.

bought these to replace my ariat all around half chaps (didn't feel like spending $100 +). So far do good. Can't beat the price.

M. O'Connor
Mar. 5, 2012, 07:00 AM
Another vote for Tredsteps!

I use the ProGaiters and often get asked if I'm wearing boots; my daughter has the DeLuxe half chaps that were quite an upgrade from her old Ariats in terms of fit and comfort.

In terms of finding a custom fit, I have a feeling that there are a lot more sizes of many products made than are typically available at any tack store, including the bigger ones. All of them have to try to anticipate what sizes will sell, so 'average' sizes will be the ones you will encounter most often. Special ordering from those size charts can really help to ensure an accurate fit, whether you are ordering through your tack store (who can enquire of the maker whether an item can be shipped back if it doesn't fit) or a big outfit that is less personal to deal with.