PDA

View Full Version : Slick Saddle

pwrpfflynn
Mar. 1, 2012, 11:47 AM
Anybody have any ideas on what to use on the flaps of my saddle so they are not so slick? I condition my saddle probably once per month. My trainer says it is really slick & she doesn't know why. I have used some of that spray on sticky stuff & that works for a one ride then I have to do it again the next time I ride. Just didn't know if there was any type conditioner I could use that would help? I use Leather CPR now.

gubbyz
Mar. 1, 2012, 11:54 AM
I am picturing it is shiny and slick, probably grain leather that has worn smooth? This may sound harsh, but if you rough it up a bit with a scouring pad and then condition with good old neatsfoot oil, it should help. That usually takes the slickness off and it really wont damage your saddle.

pwrpfflynn
Mar. 1, 2012, 12:10 PM
It never really was too grainy. I have had the saddle not quite a year now & brought it brand new. It's a Crosby & is nice quality. My friend has the same saddle & it's not as slick as mine. I am willing to try about anything at this point. The seat is really slick too.

BAC
Mar. 1, 2012, 12:41 PM
I would be afraid of "roughing it up" and causing damage to the leather. I think polishing with glycerine after its cleaned helps a bit, or maybe that is just my imagination. ;)

Some leathers are just slicker than others though. My grain Stubben was like glass, my grain/calf CWD is very grippy feeling. :confused: And a friend complains about her Bates, which has very decent leather, but she slides all over it.

KateKat
Mar. 1, 2012, 12:43 PM
Ledersbalsam helps make things tackier, but I agree that some saddles are just more slippery than others! I just to ride in an old Stubben and that thing would shoot you off the back if you weren't careful ;)

eclipse
Mar. 1, 2012, 12:52 PM
Try Stubben Hammanol (sp).....works great for greating stickiness without being too tacky like "stick on" etc. Plus it conditions the saddle at the same time. My trainer swears by it and I love it too.

Treasmare2
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:27 PM
Had an old PDN that did this. Tends to be a build up of saddle soap, the glycerine in particuliar, and therefore needs to be stripped. I stripped mine with a mixture of warm water and vinegar then reconditioned with a balm. Had toi repeat about three times over a couple of weeks.

alto
Mar. 1, 2012, 02:14 PM
Leather CPR is very easy to use but it can leave things pretty slick.
You might also try riding in full seats with real leather or those odd "sticky" patches (try them in the shop first!).

JustMyStyle
Mar. 1, 2012, 10:18 PM
I was totally going to start a thread asking the same question! I thought about roughing my saddle up a bit but I'm not that brave. I was thinking maybe more oil as I only oil it maybe once a month...

PNWjumper
Mar. 2, 2012, 01:24 AM
Ahhhhhhhh! Ditch the Leather CPR stat!

I love the product for bridles and old/damaged leather, but it makes leather ridiculously slippery. When the product first came out (many, many years ago) they were handing out samples at a show I was at and I (stupidly) tested it out on my saddle before heading to the ring. Hoo boy was that a nightmare of a ride! I had to send someone back to the barn to get saddle tite before I walked in for my class.

I think you could use pretty much anything else and improve your grippiness. My personal favorite leather conditioner is the Oakwood product and I use it before I hop on any time I want extra grip for the first few minutes of my ride, but I think there are a lot of products that do the same thing.

ElisLove
Mar. 2, 2012, 01:28 AM
Ledersbalsam helps make things tackier, but I agree that some saddles are just more slippery than others! I just to ride in an old Stubben and that thing would shoot you off the back if you weren't careful ;)

This. I cleaned my tack and put on ledersbalsam the other day and you immediately notice it the instant you sit in the saddle! (though my saddle isn't slick anyways, it definitely is a lot stickier after putting on that stuff.

pwrpfflynn
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:25 AM
I had the Oakwood conditioner at home because I used to use it on my saddle seat saddle so I tried it & it was much better!! Thanks for the tip!!