PDA

View Full Version : Where do you store your tack if you have no barn?

heavensdew
Mar. 1, 2012, 10:56 AM
What the title says. Do you store in the house or in a shed? We are close to getting a place but the barn is going to have to wait. Love to hear your ideas!

TrotTrotPumpkn
Mar. 1, 2012, 11:36 AM
I can't believe I'm responding, because I will sound nuts, but I have a spare bedroom devoted to horse stuff. I have my trunk, about 3-4 rubbermaid containers full of pads, tack, blankets, etc. a closet full of riding clothes, bags of silk flowers, and then I have a course of jumps. Yup, I have a full sized course of jump standards, poles, cavaletti, flowerboxes, etc. in one of my spare bedrooms.

It took me three hours to move it all yesterday when I realized the basement was flooding because of 2 days of freezing rain/frozen downspouts.

We really need to find an acreage.

I store my saddle in my guest bedroom (it is the only 100% cat and dog free room in the house). I humor my husband by telling him it is is very Ralph Lauren of me (as if he cared). Unfortunately that's not the Kentucky themed bedroom, the guest room is more Better Homes and Gardens. The horse bedroom has a nautical theme--in case you were wondering.

katarine
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:00 PM
Pre-barn it stayed in the garage. I wouldn't want it in my house unless I just had to do that, and even then it better have it's own exterior door- I don't want to schlep a nasty sweated up, haired up saddle pad and 30 lb western saddle down my hallway.

ReSomething
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:06 PM
I left mine on the back walk/breezeway just long enough to discover that cats love a cheyenne roll cantle as a scratching post. After that it moved into our mud area in the kitchen and in this house I bought a three saddle rack from TSC which currently lives right inside the front door - which isn't really the "front" of anything, all the parking and walkways go to the back. Before that it lived in the laundry room but it's pretty overloaded and sort of outgrew the space when the hot water heater died and the whole thing had to be moved out from in front of the access door.

Bacardi1
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:09 PM
I can't believe I'm responding, because I will sound nuts, but I have a spare bedroom devoted to horse stuff. I have my trunk, about 3-4 rubbermaid containers full of pads, tack, blankets, etc. a closet full of riding clothes, bags of silk flowers, and then I have a course of jumps. Yup, I have a full sized course of jump standards, poles, cavaletti, flowerboxes, etc. in one of my spare bedrooms.

It took me three hours to move it all yesterday when I realized the basement was flooding because of 2 days of freezing rain/frozen downspouts.

We really need to find an acreage.

I store my saddle in my guest bedroom (it is the only 100% cat and dog free room in the house). I humor my husband by telling him it is is very Ralph Lauren of me (as if he cared). Unfortunately that's not the Kentucky themed bedroom, the guest room is more Better Homes and Gardens. The horse bedroom has a nautical theme--in case you were wondering.

You're not nuts at all!! All of my tack (except for halters, leads, etc.) are kept in a spare bedroom in the house as well. And I HAVE my own barn. Just never liked keeping tack there. It's not a big deal to bring tack down to the barn when needed, & since we have central heating/air conditioning, the tack remains in excellent condition - no need to worry about excess heat, cold, humidity, etc. damaging it.

jherold
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:14 PM
My pantry is my tack room. It's just off the mud room/porch and once I redid the kitchen, I had enough cabinets so I didn't need the pantry to store food. I have a barn, but it is too damp in the summer and all the leather turns green almost immediately so it will stay in the pantry/tack room.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:18 PM
You're not nuts at all!!

:)

It's the course of jumps that makes me a bit odd I think. But what was I supposed to do when I left the barn? Leave them out in my back yard for the dog to pee on?

FYI, Dirty pads stay in the trunk of my car until I manage to wash them typically.

furlong47
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:53 PM
My tack is in my apartment. In fact it's the first thing you see when you come inside :lol: The saddle rack is next to the door and there's a pegboard on the wall where I have my bridle & some strap goods (also hats and some other non-horse stuff). There's a tack box in the closet and one in the basement with lesser-used items.

Bluey
Mar. 1, 2012, 02:56 PM
Many western competitors don't have barns or tack rooms and they keep all the tack they use regularly in the tack compartment in their trailers, any spares in the house.

I keep mine in a spare storage room behind the garage, with it's own door to the outside and to the barn.

tabula rashah
Mar. 1, 2012, 03:02 PM
Stuff that I rarely use lives in my feed room shed. My everyday tack lives either in my truck or in my trailer tack room so in both cases it can be locked up. Also since I mostly haul out to ride, it makes it easier always knowing that everything is packed.

carolprudm
Mar. 1, 2012, 03:41 PM
You're not nuts at all!! All of my tack (except for halters, leads, etc.) are kept in a spare bedroom in the house as well. And I HAVE my own barn. Just never liked keeping tack there. It's not a big deal to bring tack down to the barn when needed, & since we have central heating/air conditioning, the tack remains in excellent condition - no need to worry about excess heat, cold, humidity, etc. damaging it.
This!

I replaced one of the never used bar stools in my kitchen with a saddle stand. The saddle I am currently using goes there along with helmet bridle girth and saddle pad. I HATE dirty saddle pads and rarely use one more than twice before it is washed

My 2 not in current use saddles are on a 3 saddle stand partially blocking the rarely used back stairs along with my clean pads and horse blankets. My to many not in use bridles are on bridle racks in the former room closet

Wholehearted
Mar. 1, 2012, 03:47 PM
My "office" upstairs has a black bin full of horse things not currently in use as does the closet. I just brought home my new tack trunk to use as a "table" in our living room that we don't actually use. I'm trying to persuade the husband that we can have a slight equestrian theme to parts of our house, meaning I can hang up bridles and halters and it'll be a working decoration :winkgrin:

PRS
Mar. 1, 2012, 03:52 PM
I store my bridles inside bridle bags. One hangs in the shed next to the barn, and the one with the bridles I use most hangs in my horse trailer. My saddles and pads all reside in the house in a spare bedroom/storage room. All my miscellaneous tack and the Donkey's harness is all stored in the shed/portable building next to the barn.

candyappy
Mar. 1, 2012, 04:26 PM
I have kept it in the garage or in the basement when I didn't have a place in the barn for it.

Claudius
Mar. 1, 2012, 04:27 PM
I have a black plastic E-f-f-i-n-gham stand up trunk and one of the Stanley large tool chests....they can live anywhere and if closed are impervious to weather.

paintlady
Mar. 1, 2012, 04:33 PM
The barn where I board has individual tack lockers for the boarders. However, the tack room isn't locked or climate controlled. I store my grooming supplies in my tack locker, but my tack is either in my horse trailer (for security) or gets stored at home (for climate control).

Gloria
Mar. 1, 2012, 05:17 PM
For years I stored my tack in the tackroom of the trailer, and use the trailer as the grooming station until we got our barn up.

Guin
Mar. 1, 2012, 08:52 PM
I have a big rubbermaid bin for saddle pads, halters, etc in the front hall closet. My saddle lives on the arm of my living room couch, and DD's saddle lives on a chair in the guest room.

War Admiral
Mar. 1, 2012, 08:55 PM
During show season, everything lives in my car so I don't have to stress out about packing/repacking. In off-season, it occupies my spare room.

TheOtherHorse
Mar. 2, 2012, 07:49 AM
I have a barn, but no finished tack room out there yet, so the tack lives in the house. We have a large laundry room in the basement and one corner of it has become a tack room with saddle racks and bridle hooks on the wall. Some of my tack stays in the trailer during the summer when I'm hauling out to ride weekly. Non leather items that don't get used regularly live in the garden shed in totes. I do keep halters, lead ropes, longe line, whip, grooming stuff, etc in my feed room in the barn.

FatCatFarm
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:37 AM
My horse trailer for the most part. I have a 2 horse goose with a decent sized tack compartment; 3 saddle racks, a bar for girths and a bunch of bridle hooks. The bulk of my tack is in there. Not always my daughter's pony saddles and not halter and leads or grooming supplies, but everything else and I do have my own barn with tack and feedroom but barns are inherently dusty and my tack stays much cleaner kept in the trailer tack room.

BEARCAT
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:38 AM
Most of it is in my trailer (daily use items such as saddles, bridles, brushes, etc.)
Some in a small shed where I keep my feed (all my "extra" tack.)
Some in the house in a trunk (Right now all the stuff that freezes - fly spray, shampoo, medicines, etc.)