PDA

View Full Version : Need cc/ap saddle HELP!

SendenHorse
Feb. 29, 2012, 09:09 PM
Calling all hunter/jumpers! Saddle help please!

I need advice on fitting a saddle. I am coming from dressage-land.

Horse is a very fancy half arabian that has shark fin withers, flat broad back, and takes a 34cm (wide) Thornhill Vienna dressage saddle (18").

I am 5'5 and have a long thigh.

I am looking to show hunters and have been told I should get a close contact style from those who are already showing.

Horse was ridden in medium wide collegiate ap with the old owner but I have no idea if this would work now.

Since this isn't my primary dicipline I would look for used and very affordable. I'm not sure how much I will show hunters.

I would also need a matching bridle.

How does one fit the rider in this case? would horse take a wide tree here too?

thanks in advance!

Hunter Mom
Feb. 29, 2012, 09:39 PM
Sit in lots of saddles. Most of us who do any h/j ride in CC. The AP saddles tend to be not-so-good at anything because they try to be good at everything. What are you wanting to do? Hunter breed stuff? Jumping? You certainly don't need to spend $$$$ on a saddle that is nice, especially if you look for used saddles.

SendenHorse
Feb. 29, 2012, 09:41 PM
Sit in lots of saddles. Most of us who do any h/j ride in CC. The AP saddles tend to be not-so-good at anything because they try to be good at everything. What are you wanting to do? Hunter breed stuff? Jumping? You certainly don't need to spend $$$$ on a saddle that is nice, especially if you look for used saddles.

I don't jump, LOL. It would be for flat classes only

Hunter Mom
Feb. 29, 2012, 09:52 PM
I personally like my Collegiate CC, and would recommend another. My QHs are both wider than medium, and the adjustable tree is nice. My daughter had a Pessoa and now rides in a County. All of these can be found used without spending a lot.

If you ride dressage, you might find you prefer a CC saddle with a straighter flap to one with a very forward flap. Sit in many. Go to a tack store to sit in a bunch, then narrow down the feel you like and the feel you don't like.