PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse Stew

PRS
Feb. 29, 2012, 02:37 PM
All of the animals on my farm are lifers....meaning that I am committed to keeping them safe and healthy for the entirety of their natural lives. Now, it's true and I freely admit that I like some of them more than others. With all the talk of the coming appocalypse I thought it would be best to make plans for if I suddenly found myself having to subsist without the luxury of a weekly paycheck and a grocery store to spend it in. I've started looking at the farm critters with an eye to who would be first. THIS fellow is destined to be the very first main ingredient in my Appocalypse Stew: http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/dorim_2005/IMG_5869.jpg The ungrateful little b@$tard gooses me every chance he gets and has made walking accross my own yard a hazard.

Alagirl
Feb. 29, 2012, 02:40 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Walk softly and carry a big stick!

Yep, mean it. Worked at a place once where the goose (huge white gander) guarded the employee toilet....I always grabbed a long stick when I had to go. After all, I am not afraid of big dogs, know how to handle a horse....no WAY am I gonna let a bird dictate when I can go tinkle! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

draftdriver
Feb. 29, 2012, 02:47 PM
I had a run-in with my big white gander years ago. He and his goose were my first geese, and I didn't know enough not to get between him and the goose when their eggs were hatching. Man, did he beat me up! I was bruises all up my shins for 3 weeks!

I carried a broom when in his vicinity for a couple of weeks. That, and not breaking eye contact with him, and not backing away when he came at me with the snakey-neck, and we reached a standoff.

He was a good guard, though. I think, if push came to shove, I'd try coon or coyote stew, first. :D

saddleup
Feb. 29, 2012, 02:53 PM
There were two geese at a barn where I boarded my horses years ago. One day one was found dead in the front pasture, obviously after some sort of run-in with one of the horses. The goose had been very aggressive toward the people at the barn, basically a reign of terror! The BO was sad, but the next day someone posted a recipe for roasted goose on the bulletin board, then another was added, then another...soup, stew, fried, all sorts of varieties.

The BO eventually saw the humor in all the recipes, but it took a couple of weeks before you could talk to her about it.

PRS
Feb. 29, 2012, 02:59 PM
I actually found this goose in my mini donkey's stall beating him up!!! :mad: His accomplice was outside the barn rooting him on which is the only way I knew there was a problem. They are like frick and frack and are rarely more than a few feet from the other. I hurried out to barn thinking I would find my donkey stomping the crap out of the goose. What did I see? The goose biting the back of the donkey's hock and beating him with his wings while the poor donkey buried his head in the corner of the stall. I had to literally grab the goose and remove his beak from the back of my donkey's leg. Poor donkey was shaking like a leaf. :no:

Alagirl
Feb. 29, 2012, 03:01 PM
I think we can find you some more appealing recipes than goose stew though! :lol:

PRS
Feb. 29, 2012, 03:03 PM
I think we can find you some more appealing recipes than goose stew though! :lol:

Oh, I'm open to anything ya got! :)

Long Spot
Feb. 29, 2012, 04:44 PM
You can just SEE the attitude in that picture. Strutting along like he's the king @%&*@.

Mtn trails
Feb. 29, 2012, 04:47 PM
When I worked for a large aerospace company I was on my way to a meeting in another building. Unfortunately, it seemed the entire population of Canada geese made the grounds their winter home :dead:. While walking, there was another woman going in the same direction ahead of me and a big gander walks out on the walk and starts hissing at her and doing the snakey neck thing. She stops and turns around and goes another way. However, no way was I letting a critter with the brain the size of a large pea tell me where I can or cannot walk!

I approach the goose and he starts his hissing act. I was wearing a large raincoat and pulled the sides away like giant wings and hissed back at him not breaking eye contact. This old goose's eyes got so huge and he hustled away :lol: It was so funny. Man, that's the meanest, biggest goose I've ever seen! I still get a laugh even though it happened quite a few years ago.

PRS
Feb. 29, 2012, 05:20 PM
I approach the goose and he starts his hissing act. I was wearing a large raincoat and pulled the sides away like giant wings and hissed back at him not breaking eye contact. This old goose's eyes got so huge and he hustled away :lol: It was so funny. Man, that's the meanest, biggest goose I've ever seen! I still get a laugh even though it happened quite a few years ago.

LOL! My neighbors got quite a show the other day when I did that exact same thing and chased my goose out of my way! There I was hissing and flapping the sides of my coat but the goose ran only far enough to feel safe. Soon as I turned my back he was snakey necked and hissing at me again. :mad:

goneriding24
Feb. 29, 2012, 05:35 PM
http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zgoos6.html

Here ya go!! Actually, sounds kinda good...Wonder if it works with chicken...

I once had a gander snap at the back of my thigh. Being a little kid, it scared the bejeezus out of me! I'm still leery of the varmints.

goneriding24
Feb. 29, 2012, 05:37 PM
http://www.gooserecipes.net/goose-stew.html

This one might be even better.

PRS
Feb. 29, 2012, 05:39 PM
http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zgoos6.html

Here ya go!! Actually, sounds kinda good...Wonder if it works with chicken...

I once had a gander snap at the back of my thigh. Being a little kid, it scared the bejeezus out of me! I'm still leery of the varmints.

Perfect!

PRS
Feb. 29, 2012, 05:40 PM
http://www.gooserecipes.net/goose-stew.html

This one might be even better.

Even better....Since it will post appocalypse, the fewer ingredients the better :)

Sandy M
Feb. 29, 2012, 06:14 PM
After I sold my semi-retired Appy to a family, he kept getting out and wandering down the (fortunately lightly traveled) road. One day, they found him on a neighbor's lawn, cornered by ther "watch goose." 1,300 lb. horse totally intimidated.

Speaking of which - one "p" in Apocalypse. I initially thought this thread was going to be about some horse's "Appytude." LOL

Anselcat
Feb. 29, 2012, 06:53 PM
Well, there's the one-p apocalypse and there's the Appycalypse, when appys finally can't stand it any more and take over.

Hippocalypso? when singing hippos take over?

vacation1
Feb. 29, 2012, 07:21 PM
no way was I letting a critter with the brain the size of a large pea tell me where I can or cannot walk! I approach the goose and he starts his hissing act. I was wearing a large raincoat and pulled the sides away like giant wings and hissed back at him not breaking eye contact. This old goose's eyes got so huge and he hustled away :lol: It was so funny. Man, that's the meanest, biggest goose I've ever seen! I still get a laugh even though it happened quite a few years ago.

Bravo! I've always been afraid that the thugs masquerading as Canada Geese would call my bluff and escalate if I tried to intimidate them. I can stand a dignified skirting of a goose; having to run screaming would be embarassing.:lol:

MunchingonHay
Feb. 29, 2012, 08:40 PM
you can always to this too

http://www.foie-gras-recipes.com/

on crackers/crusty bread nom nom nom

didgery
Feb. 29, 2012, 08:42 PM
I thought you were making stew from your appy!

I already told my husband that Fenway has a guaranteed home for life AFTER the apocalypse—we will need him to transport us to the nearest town for looting.

Our Apocalypse Stew will probably include a troublesome goat.
:lol:

HorsesinHaiti
Feb. 29, 2012, 09:01 PM
Hippocalypso? when singing hippos take over?

BOO HISS BRILLIANT! :lol::winkgrin:

horseshrink
Feb. 29, 2012, 09:38 PM
I WANT A GOOSE!!!

I think they are adorable!

Alagirl
Feb. 29, 2012, 11:50 PM
I WANT A GOOSE!!!

I think they are adorable!

no they're not.

Justa Bob
Mar. 1, 2012, 12:12 AM
I actually found this goose in my mini donkey's stall beating him up!!!

Time for stew pronto! What happens when no one is around to defend the victims!?!

ThisTooShallPass
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:51 AM
If you are preparing for the end of the world, here is your winter clothing for small children. Skin carefully, stuff child inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KsfZLqYblY&feature=related

susanne
Mar. 1, 2012, 02:17 AM
I actually found this goose in my mini donkey's stall beating him up!!! :mad: ... The goose biting the back of the donkey's hock and beating him with his wings while the poor donkey buried his head in the corner of the stall. I had to literally grab the goose and remove his beak from the back of my donkey's leg. Poor donkey was shaking like a leaf. :no:

I'm picturing Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. Poor little donkey!

2DogsFarm
Mar. 1, 2012, 06:50 AM
:lol:
He looks formidable....and potentially delicious : 9

My personal stew will probably begin with coq au vin if teen rooster doesn't shape up.
Of course, there are days when Hackney Pony casserole is tempting.....

Tamara in TN
Mar. 1, 2012, 07:49 AM
sounds like Oak Ridge the old reservation grounds at K-25!
pushy SOBs who terrorized every human they could:lol::lol::lol:

Tamara

When I worked for a large aerospace company I was on my way to a meeting in another building. Unfortunately, it seemed the entire population of Canada geese made the grounds their winter home :dead:. While walking, there was another woman going in the same direction ahead of me and a big gander walks out on the walk and starts hissing at her and doing the snakey neck thing. She stops and turns around and goes another way. However, no way was I letting a critter with the brain the size of a large pea tell me where I can or cannot walk!

PRS
Mar. 1, 2012, 08:56 AM
If you are preparing for the end of the world, here is your winter clothing for small children. Skin carefully, stuff child inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KsfZLqYblY&feature=related

OMG!! That's the biggest bunny ever! It almost made me wish I had small child to try that out on!