PDA

View Full Version : Rein Fashion Question

Softskills
Feb. 29, 2012, 01:29 AM
I just saw white rubber reins in the jumper ring at WEF? Does that mean I can break mine out of storage? Or are they still stuck in the "wow. That really dates you!" trunk? I loved then so much :(

*Liz*
Feb. 29, 2012, 02:27 AM
If it's the jumper ring, and you love them, why not just use them?

I haven't seen anyone showing in white rubber reins that I can recall, but I certainly wouldn't be bothered by them.

FLeventer
Feb. 29, 2012, 03:39 AM
I used mine in the jumper ring and got stares from some, nice comments from others and you know what? At the end of the day I left the rails up and came in good standings. No thanks to my reins. But I think I was the only one there with white reins as well. I sold them as they are a pain to clean.

mrsbradbury
Feb. 29, 2012, 09:30 AM
I miss white my white rubber reins. Just sayin'... All of mine are brown now.

Tap2Tango
Feb. 29, 2012, 10:50 AM
I used to LOVE white rubber reins with the white plastic boots!!! I also loved my leopard saddle pad and matching polos. However, these are things I would never use again, especially in the show ring.

Softskills
Feb. 29, 2012, 03:15 PM
I suppose this was a rather silly question in retrospect. Insomnia makes fools of us all :)

I'm just soooo conservative in everything else. But I loved how my chestnut with a blaze and 4 socks looked in the white rubber reins... Sigh.

I have also been inspired. I'm going to live a little on the wild side and use them! At least to school...

Janeway
Feb. 29, 2012, 04:57 PM
Does anyone else remember the rainbow rubber reins? They were pretty popular for awhile too :winkgrin:

and I guess i'm dating myself, becasue I do like the look of the white rubber reins on a chesnut!

Trak_Eventer
Feb. 29, 2012, 06:02 PM
If you like them, why not use them? :confused:
No one is judging you on your rein color in the jumper ring...

Florida Gator
Feb. 29, 2012, 06:49 PM
I just sold a pair of white rubber reins that I never had the opportunity to use to someone not too long ago, so there are still people out there using them! If it's schooling and/or the jumpers, use whatever you want!

Rel6
Feb. 29, 2012, 07:57 PM
In the sale video I got a few years back of my old jumper (a chestnut) she was showing at WEF in white rubber reins. So this must have been WEF of four years past. LOVED the look of them on her...I say for it! There is a difference between a leopard saddle pad (and fun look) and white reins that go well with a horse, which I honestly think looks classy and traditional (traditional isn't really the right word...but I'm blanking on a better adjective.) Its like seeing the flat hunt bridles. Might not be in style right now, but I still stop to appreciate the look.

Crazy-Pony
Feb. 29, 2012, 08:47 PM
Does anyone else remember the rainbow rubber reins? They were pretty popular for awhile too :winkgrin:

YES! I loved my rainbow reins!!

FLeventer
Feb. 29, 2012, 08:49 PM
YES! I loved my rainbow reins!!

<.<
>.>

I still have mine lol.

SidesaddleRider
Mar. 1, 2012, 08:41 AM
I personally like white rubber reins, and have a set that I use on the rare occasions I do the jumpers. And heck, it's the jumpers! Tack wise, pretty much anything goes. ;)

Doesn't Joe Fargis still ride in them? He used to do so all the time, and I thought I saw that he uses both white and brown rubber reins now when showing.

mrsbradbury
Mar. 1, 2012, 08:54 AM
As you cannot read inflection, I am going to clarify, that I would use white rubber reins on my chestnut jumper, even today at WEF. I happen to currently own all brown rubber reins.,

I have never owned and will never own matching animal print tack, nor have I ever owned rainbow reins, but those are great for helping little kids learn where to hold the reins during lessons. Neither of these pieces of tack are in the same category as white rubber reins, and those old plastic jumper boots. (Which I still love btw.)

RiverBendPol
Mar. 1, 2012, 09:51 AM
I used to LOVE white rubber reins with the white plastic boots!!! I also loved my leopard saddle pad and matching polos. However, these are things I would never use again, especially in the show ring.

Wowee, when did you get so conservative?! ;-)

I love white rubber reins, speshly with a chromey chestnut, but you'd better have quiet hands!

cadance
Mar. 1, 2012, 10:04 AM
I'm just soooo conservative in everything else. But I loved how my chestnut with a blaze and 4 socks looked in the white rubber reins... Sigh.

I have also been inspired. I'm going to live a little on the wild side and use them! At least to school...
Go for it! The flashy chestnut with white accents in your tack would look great! Plus, reins are so thin the white doesn't stand out from far away, at least in pictures.

AmmyByNature
Mar. 1, 2012, 10:22 AM
In my mind, white rubber reins very much do NOT equal matching animal print !!??!!

I'd go ahead and use them in the jumpers if you want ;) (The white rubber reins, ,of course, Not matching animal print.)

AmmyByNature
Mar. 1, 2012, 10:23 AM

I love white rubber reins, speshly with a chromey chestnut, but you'd better have quiet hands!

Although quiet hands are, of course, always nice, this is the jumpers. So it doesn't really matter if she has quiet hands or not ;)

fordtraktor
Mar. 1, 2012, 11:12 AM
I love white rubber reins. I always used them on my black jumper back in the day:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1120923220053911905xRJBMM

The white padded bridle was total overkill, though....I would still use white rubber reins and a white saddle pad but the rest I prefer dark these days.

I think quiet hands are a must because bouncy hands would look pretty awful with white rubber reins...would accentuate it for sure.

pattnic
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:27 AM
While I personally do not like the look of white rubber reins at all, on any horse (chestnuts included), I am all about diong what you like and not caring what others think, especially when schooling and in the jumper ring. Therefore, I rock the rust, I have a collection of blingy belts (and blingy jeans), people worry if I'm not wearing my sunglasses, I wear ugly hats when it's cold, the mare has a full set of Ulsters, and I definitely have a green coat (dark olive) that I will wear at a show. What can I say? I'm all about my image! (DakotaWyatt will attest to this!)

There is a reason below my username it says, "I make tacky look good"! :lol:

If you love it, rock it! :cool:

Gracious
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:39 AM
In my mind, white rubber reins very much do NOT equal matching animal print !!??!!

I'd go ahead and use them in the jumpers if you want ;) (The white rubber reins, ,of course, Not matching animal print.)

Agreed. Leave the animal print at home. Take the white rubber reins with you.

Tap2Tango
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:40 AM
Agreed. Leave the animal print at home. Take the white rubber reins with you.

When I mentioned animal print I was referring to it as a trend I used to love when I was a kid, about the same time white reins were really popular. My point was they are things that should be left in the past,IMO. Like leg warmers and off the shoulder tee shirts. ;)

Tap2Tango
Mar. 2, 2012, 11:44 AM

Oh Pol, I have turned ultra conservative in my old age! Wraps and boots should be a dark color, White square pads with colored trim or piping is acceptable. I like to think George Morris could walk around the corner at any moment! Now if I could only make myself this presentable outside the barn!