PDA

View Full Version : Groom Pay

SueCoo2
Feb. 28, 2012, 04:42 PM
I would like to know what the average pay for someone who cares for 10 - 16 polo horses would be in the Southeast Texas area. This person feeds, grooms, rides and gives medical (i.e. vaccinations, and minor medical care). I'm experiencing some discomfort in that my boss feels that his groom does not need additional pay for caring for my horse who I've moved to the same farm. I feel that I should be paying the gentleman at least $100 a month to feed and look out for my mare while she is there. I hate to add more work to his schedule without some compensation. This man works very hard and does everything in his power to make sure my boos' horses are well cared for and that he isn't expending unnecessary funds by always seeking competitive pricing in feeds and hay, etc. He does the vaccinations so that he doesn't acquire additional vet bills. He rides, cleans, I mean everything. I don't know what he is actually paid, but I'm pretty sure it not all that much for the work performed.

clanter
Feb. 28, 2012, 06:55 PM
When we had a horse in training back in Kentucky we provided the groom a cash tip every month plus an additional bonus on holidays. I said nothing to the trainer and handed her the money each month myself.

The quality of care she provided was outstanding.

(by the way that was twenty years ago and we were giving her $100/mo then)

AnotherRound
Mar. 1, 2012, 03:45 AM
You seem to know little or nothing about the groom's compensation, so I would not make assumptions about it at all. Its really not your business - its the groom's and his employer's. Inquiring into it is really out of bounds, no matter how much you might suspect unfair compensation - However, that said, I always trust my gut and if I felt the way you do I certainly would, as the above poster described, tip the groom according to my feelings and pocket book, and tip him as well as I could. Personally, privately, and with no comment to him about his salary (which is not your business) and which would maintain his dignity. I would tip him from me personally as gratitude for the outstanding service he provides by being such a thoughtful and considerate care taker of my most precious possession.

Hope that makes sense.

SueCoo2
Mar. 2, 2012, 12:08 PM
Thank you.

baylady7
Mar. 2, 2012, 01:02 PM
a nice tip is always appreciated and the peace of mind you get is priceless

silanac
Mar. 2, 2012, 01:22 PM
regardless of the what the BM/BO is paying the groom, generally it is acceptable for all boarders to tip the groom at the end of each month. we normally gave 50-100/mo for each horse here in the northern va area. At shows, we tipped an additional 20/day. around here, usually the BO will tell boarders to tip each groom monthly. not sure how they do it in TX.

saddleup
Mar. 2, 2012, 02:40 PM
I paid a barn worker (not really a groom, but he turned my two horses out on days I wasn't at the barn, pulled their blankets in the middle of the day, just generally kept an eye on them above and beyond the norm) $50 a month. One day another boarder complained to me that my horses got special treatment. I asked if she ever tipped him and she was aghast at the thought. Oh well.

As someone said, I was happy to do it for the peace of mind I got out of it.

At shows I tip the groom $20/day.

I give the stall cleaner at my trainer's stable $100 at Christmas.

A friend told me she always tips the barn help on the day she moves her horse into the barn, not at the end of the year, and then on that anniversay date. She wants them on her side from day one. Makes sense to me.

gumtree
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:38 PM
Wow, if this person can look after 10-16 they way you described well, the BO would be crazy not to pay well. Even if they just “knocked” off and rode let alone everything else. That being said I would still put something in their pocket each month. IMO it is none of the BO business what you give. But I also suppose the amount should be dictated by what you pay for board. Even if it’s “soup to nuts” $$$ it is still worth it. Grease, it’s what makes the world go round.