PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to brag a little about my newest OTTB

Amyy
Feb. 28, 2012, 03:11 PM
I bought him from Turfway Park about a month ago, found him through the canter trainer listings. He is such an amazing horse. He has a great mind, very kind and intelligent. I rode him for the first time yesterday and trotted over a couple of small jumps, he acted like he had done it all before.

My business nowadays is buying and selling thoroughbred yearlings to race, so I am very familiar with pedigrees etc. He is by Cherokee Run out of an Ascot Knight mare. Taylor Made and Pat Payne bred him and he sold for 105k as a yearling to Dale Romans. He turned out not to be a very good racehorse (37 starts and earned just under 34k), but he seems like he has a very good future ahead of him as a jumper or eventer.

Here is a picture of him from his canter listing

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150554407571782&l=be9927c4a7

and here is a picture I took yesterday, a month later
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150554386661782&l=131e770447

I also bought another OTTB the same day that I bought him, but he needs a lot more time to be let down. The day after he came to my farm his skin was very sore and his glands were the size of golf balls. He is doing much better now but I will give him as much time as he needs. He is also a very nice horse and I will post pics as soon as he puts a little weight on and starts looking better!

I love thoroughbreds so much.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Feb. 28, 2012, 03:24 PM
I like him a lot! His coat looks great in the second pics, but what really hit me was how much better his angles look in the picture you took. It's amazing what a good conformation picture can do.

You have every reason to brag!

pryme_thyme
Feb. 28, 2012, 03:25 PM
Aww I want to see.... Darn internet jail at work. :(

SaratogaTB
Feb. 28, 2012, 03:37 PM
Amyy, congratulations! I got my boy from CANTER and he is surpassing our expectations every day! He's a nice little hunter, but I've been working with a dressage coach to help with balance. I took him to a dressage schooling show last week, the first dressage show for both of us. He walked off the trailer, warmed up like a pro, and trotted into the indoor and up to the judge like he's done it forever. Intro B and C scores of 67! :winkgrin:

I love Thoroughbreds too. I have admired them since I was little and have the privilige of caring and training one now! It's truly my happiest time. :yes:

Keep up your good work....he's lucky to have you too! His pedigree is quite impressive.

Monarch
Feb. 28, 2012, 03:48 PM
Congratulations. He looks wonderful. I had hoped this horse had found a good home. Browsing the canter sites your guy seemed like a good one.
M

Amyy
Feb. 28, 2012, 04:51 PM
Thanks so much everyone!!

Saratoga congrats on your boy, and good luck with him! Do you have any pics?

BarnMom64
Feb. 28, 2012, 06:28 PM
What a beautiful horse! I wish I were a rider, but not to be. I am content, though, with having fun watching my daughter. I do envy all of you who do have so much experience with all these levels of horses that I am just enjoying learning about.

ohrebecca
Feb. 28, 2012, 06:36 PM
What a stunner!

GingerJumper
Feb. 28, 2012, 06:41 PM
What a handsome critter! Gotta love CANTER cuties :)

Vesper Sparrow
Feb. 28, 2012, 07:48 PM
Ascot Knight :yes:

leahandpie
Feb. 28, 2012, 07:51 PM
You got Angry Pirate!!! I just love him. I watched him on the Canter site for a long time... really glad he got a good home.

He looks great in the updated picture :)