PDA

View Full Version : Economical tall boots

Gnomeland
Feb. 28, 2012, 03:34 PM
I have Ariat Heritage tall boots right now which I'm really not too happy with. They're way too big in the ankle and just don't fit right. I'm a somewhat awkward size (normal feet, short, muscular calf) I can really only spend around $500 so I'm not expecting perfect but I really need something that fits better because I'm only lasting in these for about 30 mins top.

2bayboys
Feb. 28, 2012, 03:37 PM
Try the Middleburg boots in the Dover catalog. Very reasonable price and I've known several riders who are extremely pleased with theirs. Do be aware that the foot size runs large, I have a pair of the paddock boots and I had to get them in a full size smaller than I would normally.

STA
Feb. 28, 2012, 08:51 PM
Try a consignment shop in your area.

Gnomeland
Feb. 28, 2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks! :)

Can anyone tell me anything about Trestep Donatellos or Tredstones?

Momma Pope
Feb. 28, 2012, 09:42 PM
I got a pair of Donatello boots a few weeks ago and love them. They fit like custom and broke in nicely. Be sure and try them on first though - the first pair in my size wouldn't zip but the second pair fits (and looks) like custom.

Gnomeland
Feb. 28, 2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the info! :) I just don't want to buy anything and then have the same problem as my Ariats. :lol:

Dewey
Feb. 28, 2012, 09:56 PM
My daughter has short, muscular calves, too, and she found that the Mountain Horse boots (short-regular) fit her better than the Ariat Heritages, which she had before. There are several MH models in your price range.

http://www.classicsaddlery.com/boots/bootsridingmountainhorse.htm

JohnGalt
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:55 PM
I tell all my juniors to look on eBay until either their foot stops growing or they are in danger of qualifying. Spending a ton of money on boots when you'll outgrow them shortly after you break them in is silly. The strategy is applicable to anyone on a budget. You can pick up a nice pair of customs (for someone else) and if you luck into finding someone similar to your size, that's a jackpot. Besides, I have to be honest . . . I'm unimpressed with a lot of the boots out there now. They cost a lot and don't hold up very well (in my opinion).

JustMyStyle
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:54 PM
Mountain Horse! I'd always had Ariat tall boots and really didn't think I'd like the Mountain Horse but I tried both on and felt that the overal quality and the quality of the leather was much nicer in the Mountain Horse boots. Also, mine were under $300! I have the Richmond High Rider Field Boot (http://cheshirehorse.com/Richmond-High-Rider-Field-Boot-P3874C145.aspx) and I really like how the side of the knee comes up making your lower leg look longer and more elegant. I've had them for almost a year and ride multiple horses a day in them. I've also gotten lots of compliments and people asking what brand they are :)

I only have two complaints: breaking them in sucked. I have long calves and got the talls, they dug into the back of my knee and left bruises until they finally dropped in the ankle. Second complaint, now that they have dropped in the ankle they rub my heel when I walk in them for too long. Not sure if I just have little heels or what not but it can be a pain, literally...Especially when you get bucked off 1/2 away from the barn!

candysgirl
Feb. 29, 2012, 12:53 AM
I really like my Dublin Aristocrats. I beat the hell out of mine on trail rides, endurance rides and hunting. I am not nice to them. At all. I leave mud on them for weeks at a time. I do chores in them. I drive my stick shift car in them, etc. They still shine up to look brand new after a year of abuse from me.

kashmere
Feb. 29, 2012, 01:26 AM

I have the Treadstone Tuscany boots. For the price, they've been great for me. They are very slim throughout the ankle, and have a pretty wide range of heights. I'm very tall, so finding a 20" off-the-rack boot was a godsend for me. I got mine for $350.00, I'd recommend them for a boot in your price range :)

bear necessities
Feb. 29, 2012, 01:45 AM
Middleburgs all the way! The foot does run large. But mine are buttery soft and I get tons of compliments and a lot of people ask if they're customs :)

kmwines01
Feb. 29, 2012, 02:05 AM
I have the Mountain Horse Supreme and love them! Rode in them the day I bought them and they were pretty much broken in the next day. Super super soft, the calf can get a bit crinkly looking because they're so soft but they're very comfy. Not super comfortable to just wear around but I haven't had any zippered boots that were. The zippers tend to dig into my achilles area in any boots, so it's not just the Mountain Horse fit. I couldn't wear my ariats with zippers for any time off of the horse because the zippers rubbed so bad.

KingoftheRoad
Feb. 29, 2012, 08:37 AM
I have to tell you, I love my Ariat Quantum Crowne Pros! Much more substantial than the Monacos, and seem like they will last a while. I never thought I could wear Ariats, as they usually run so slim, but they actually fit beautifully! I got Smartpak to price match, and managed to get them just around or under $500, so it might be worth a look!

iridehorses
Feb. 29, 2012, 11:10 AM
I have many friend who have tredsteps and got the for about $200! They have been holding up well for them and fit very nicely because the sizing is so nice and almost semi-custom like. I have der daus, but definitely recommend tredsteps!!!

bits619
Feb. 29, 2012, 12:16 PM
I have the Treadstone Tuscany boots. For the price, they've been great for me. They are very slim throughout the ankle, and have a pretty wide range of heights. I'm very tall, so finding a 20" off-the-rack boot was a godsend for me. I got mine for $350.00, I'd recommend them for a boot in your price range :)

Thanks for posting this! I have Ovations (and am completely blanking on the name of the actual boot) in tall, which was either 19.5 or 20 inches tall. I really like them but will keep those in mind for my next pair.

eclipse
Feb. 29, 2012, 12:26 PM

I adore my Tredstones. I'm short with a larger calf muscle that is set higher up than where most boots calf sits (they say it's from my yrs of gymnastics) plus I have a narrow ankle and high arch.

The Tredstones fit like a glove, a bit tight at first (I needed a friend to help zip them up the first time) but they broke in after only 3 rides and weren't painful to break in either. I have a size 5.5 foot in tall boots, ended up with the slim talls (they seem to fit shorter than other boots). They've dropped slightly but not a lot and now sit perfect at my knee. LOVE THEM :D :D

kashmere
Feb. 29, 2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks for posting this! I have Ovations (and am completely blanking on the name of the actual boot) in tall, which was either 19.5 or 20 inches tall. I really like them but will keep those in mind for my next pair.

http://www.applesaddlery.com/p-5418-ladies-tuscany-zip-field-boot-tall-height.aspx

;) sale price!

pwrpfflynn
Feb. 29, 2012, 01:10 PM
Without a doubt Mtn.Horse Supreme's. Got them for 450. @ Victory Canter. My trainer got some too & we both love them. So soft. Like kid skin leather no real break in time. LOVE THEM.

viverideama
Feb. 29, 2012, 03:46 PM
I have the same type of tall boot size as you, and the Tredstep Donatellos fit me perfectly. It can be hard for me to find boots that are slim enough in the ankle and wide enough in the calf (I don't have fat calves, just not very slim ones), but these fit right off the rack. Plus, they look absolutely stellar and the leather is nice and soft. You can get them shipped for free if you order from Smartpak... and they're only around $250 if memory serves (but they look like they should cost way more than that) :)

bits619
Feb. 29, 2012, 05:20 PM
http://www.applesaddlery.com/p-5418-ladies-tuscany-zip-field-boot-tall-height.aspx

;) sale price!

Gah!
Stepping away from the computer.
Stepping... Away...

(My Ovations are only 8 months old, i don't need new ones yet! I don't I don't!)

kashmere
Feb. 29, 2012, 10:45 PM
Ahhh... what is COTH for if not extreme enabling? :lol:

Hunter Mom
Feb. 29, 2012, 10:58 PM
I would check into the Dublin Aristocrats if you want to go cheap but good. I had mine for 3 years, wore them for everyday use and loved them. Only after I destroyed the zippers did I finally quit wearing them. They were <$200, and were amazing. I have quite large calves, and they did accomodate them.

When I replaced them, I went with the MH Supremes. I absolutely would not get them again. I've had them for six months and they still hurt my ankles terribly. I had to walk my horse back from a trail ride and now have scars on my heels from the blisters. Theyr'e fine when I'm actually in the saddle, but that's about it.

mepkkg
Mar. 1, 2012, 12:01 AM
I love my Treadstones! They broke in so easily and I get complimented on them often.

ChagrinSaddlery
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:12 AM
The Tredstep Donatello field boot ($249.00) and the Treadstone Gran Torino ($330.00) are incredible values for the quality and design of these boots. Both offer a narrow ankle and a sleek fit in the calf offering close to a custom fit. I carry both boots in my shop and cannot keep either in stock. Course this being said, make sure work with someone who understands how to fit a tall boot. Too many are do not understand how much a boot drops and are stuck with boots that are too short. Good luck!

rhymeswithfizz
Mar. 1, 2012, 02:59 AM
Agreed, try the Mountain Horse boots. I've tried on every boot under the sun lately. The Ariat Heritage boots fit me pretty well, and I found that for me the MH line was way too small in the ankle and way too big in the calf, and not quite tall enough for me... sounds like they might be right on for you!

two sticks
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:00 PM
Another vote for Mountain horse. I've had two pairs, both were super comfortable and wore like iron. My Richmond's lasted almost 5 years of 6+ horses a day, and tons of abuse.

Peggy
Mar. 24, 2012, 01:24 AM
IMHO the Da Vinci's fit like the Grand Prix boots. Or, in the case of my legs, sadly don't fit. There's too much curve to them compared to my leg. Not that I'm skinny, but I'm tall and I think my lower leg is conformed differently than the boots.

For the first pair of boots, SmartPak and I miscommunicated and I ended up with the 16" wide ones, despite telling them that my calf measurement was 14.5". I could stick my hand down the outside of the boot up to my wrist. The second pair is 15" but there's still too much gap at my calf. I had a bit of an issue getting the zippers over my ankles with these boots so don't think going down to the next width is going to work.

My Ariats fit great (and are a 14.5" calf), but the leather is looking funky and they have zipper issues. I replaced both zippers and one still doesn't work. That was about the point when my horse went lame and my trainer left town and I got discouraged and shoved the boots in the closet (at least I cleaned them first), figuring I might never show again.

I actually showed a first weeks ago and wore my 25 y.o. Vogels. No zipper issues there b/c there are no zippers. There is a moment when I pull them on when they feel like they're going to get stuck, but then they slide on and fit, well, like they were made for me. But the leather has some pretty bad cracks and they aren't going to go forever. I also now realize that the boots of a generation ago don't have as thick of footbeds as the current generation of boots.

teal tea
Mar. 24, 2012, 07:11 AM
I bought some Smoky Mountain boots about a year ago for a little over $200. I loved them. There is no break in period at all. It's like I have gloves on. If I had to, I think I could ride w/o socks w/ them. I just happened to see them and try them on b/c they came in a wide calf.

There's a swagger tab that is annoying b/c it flaps around. I bet a cobbler could sew them in w/ very few stitches. My boots have also faded in color but I wear them every time I ride (at least 3 Xs a week. I haven't gotten around to applying a coat of black so I can't speak to what would happen if you applied some color.

I've been looking for another pair of boots to keep as show boots. I was at my tack shop and I mentioned this to the clerk. She said the Smoky Mountain boots don't hold up well. But as I said I've had mine for a while. I also mentioned the comfort and she said most boots now are super comfortable. I've read some of the replies here and that does not seem so. So I may buy another brand b/c I don't want to feel pain while I ride.

sschuessler
Mar. 24, 2012, 09:38 AM
I show in Middleburg boots and I love the fit. However, I don't think they would hold up long for every day riding. If you just show in them they would last a long time though. And, they are super cheap! But def. get at least half a size smaller than normal in them and calf is true to size.

I have treadstones that I ride in for lessons and clinics and truthfully I have beat them hard and they are still going great and I love the fit. If anything, the calf on them runs just a touch large and foot true to size. Definitely would recommend them to someone who wants a hard-wearing boot!

SendenHorse
Mar. 24, 2012, 09:43 AM
I just got treatstone boot (not the more famous treadsteps) for showing.

Although I have not used them yet I have been VERY impressed with the quality.

The sizing is very strange, I don't consider myself to have a wide calf but in fact I take a wide calf in this boot. In my ariats I was a slim calf---go figure. Be sure you try them on first!

Roxx
Mar. 24, 2012, 10:28 AM
I loved the fit of my Treadstone tuscany's so much that I bought a second pair used for schooling!

RunningRedLights
Mar. 24, 2012, 10:37 AM
Not leather, but man I was impressed! http://www.treadstone-inc.com/index.php?option=com_tienda&view=products&task=view&id=1291&filter_category=36&Itemid=11

I got some of these from a TOTD sale to wear instead of my Ariat Crowne Pros on a daily basis so I don't wear out the pricey boots too fast (that leather in the shin area where the stirrup leather goes feels so thin!)

Right out the box I was impressed, a nice cut to the boot with a lovely Spanish top. The synthetic material looks pretty darn legit, and feels nice and soft. They were so soft when I rode in them the first time I had no blisters on my ankles or heels (very unlike the Crowne Pros, omg my feet were destroyed!) I have gotten compliments at the barn about them and am overall please since I picked them up for about $70 from TOTD.

The only con about them is that they are a bit hot (yes, we have been in the 80s already!) since the synthetic material doesn't breathe. But that is fine because I then don't worry about getting them soaked in the wash rack like real leather.

Linny
Mar. 24, 2012, 11:09 AM

One of my barnmates bought the Donatellos last fall and loves them. She recommended them to anyone who asks.

GingerJumper
Mar. 24, 2012, 12:15 PM
I'm a leather snob so I don't like cheap boots. That plus my hard to find size makes new boots seriously expensive. So, I stalk the consignment. I've found two brand new pairs of Ariats in my size (both from the nicer lines) for under $200.