PDA

View Full Version : shipping tack trunk ourselves?

EmJ628
Feb. 28, 2012, 02:28 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for the best way to protect a wooden tack trunk for shipping? My dad made me a GORGEOUS trunk but they live about 700 miles away! We have talked about meeting them halfway to pick it up, but it may be easier for all involved to ship. I'm really scared it will be damaged though, wondering anyone has any tips for the best way to protect it, and the best/most economical carrier to ship with?

pwrply
Feb. 28, 2012, 02:54 PM
I sent mine UPS and they packed it. It arrived in good condition. It was NOT cheap however. I did insure it for a fair amount as my saddle, bridle, helmet, boots, etc were packed inside and it was heavier than an empty one.

MIKES MCS
Feb. 28, 2012, 04:35 PM
I have shipped them Fed Ex, cheaper than UPS and I double packed it myself with plenty of bubble wrap around it then again more packing around the box for insert into the othe outer box, I also tie poly rope around the outside twice so the Fed ex guy can pick it up with out dropping it. It has costed about $50.00 for an average size trunk. Make sure you mark it "this side up " and Fragile"

EmJ628
Feb. 28, 2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks Mike! I am glad to see the shipping estimate I came up with of around $75 wasn't that far off.