PDA

View Full Version : WEF Lease question

ShowMomJen11
Feb. 28, 2012, 01:51 PM
First I will say that any help is appreciated.

I have researched old threads on this site pertaining to leases. I am aware of the 1/3 sale price for a one year lease.
I am also aware that lease fees for big eq horses for finals run $5000/day.

Can some of you please share your opinions as to a "fair" lease fee per week at WEF for a horse capable of playing in all three rings.

I will add that the horse has already ribboned at WEF this year in two rings. This will also be a short term (max 4-5 weeks) lease which is obviously quite last minute.
Horse is bomb-proof and amateur/child friendly and quite the looker. I have been approached by my child's trainer as to whether I would lease him out to a client of a BNT. No idea what to charge (would rather have more than one opinion).

Lastly...would I be expected to pay my trainer a commission for "finding" leasee? If so, a flat fee, percentage of lease?

Thanks very much.:confused:

findeight
Feb. 28, 2012, 02:08 PM
If trainer finds you a leasee and negotiates the terms? Yes, they get a commission. You discuss that BEFORE you decide anything...and it goes in the lease contract or as an addendum.

How much? As much as you can get;) and be fair about the horse's ability and value. Show specific leases are not bound by that 1/3 of market value formula as are longer time frame leases, usually more since the horse is at the show and ready to go right now.

Other then that cannot give a specifc without knowing the horse, it's record and it's approximate fair market value.

Somewhere between 500 and 5k a week. Leassee pays vet and farrier.

RumoursFollow
Feb. 28, 2012, 02:09 PM
I would say that is atleast somewhat dependent on what the horse will show in. There's a difference in price between a short stirrup packer and a competitive junior hunter.

And yes, I would expect to pay your trainer a commission. That being said, your trainers assessment of the horses value should be pretty good, as the more money you are able to get for your lease, the higher their commission will be.

Elouise
Feb. 28, 2012, 02:18 PM
Sent you a PM

Again it depends on what the horse is capable of. A high end Junior Hunter or high end Equitation horse is more $$$ than a capable children's hunter/children's jumper.

Kitty
Feb. 28, 2012, 05:04 PM
Friend paid 1K per show at WEF for childrens pony just a couple of weeks ago if that's any help.