PDA

View Full Version : Which Type of Gooseneck Hitch?

ytr45
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:16 AM
Hey Guys,

We need to have a gooseneck hitch installed in our truck. Is it better to get the rail mounted type hitch or the hidden drop down ?

What is the best for towing a gooseneck trailer, or are they all about the same?

How do I know which type we really need?

thanks!

ShotenStar
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:58 AM
You need to do some more homework .... gooseneck hitches and 5th wheel hitches are different beasties. You need to have the right hitch type for your trailer ... most smaller Not-Bumper-Pull horse trailers are goosenecks. You don't tend to see 5th Wheel hitches on horse trailers until you get to very large trailers.

Whether you want a turn-over ball or a hitch plate in the bed of your truck is partly a personal decision and partly a matter of what else you do with your truck. I have a removable plate for my GN - it leaves me with a clear, level bed in the truck for hauling other stuff. The 'turnover' type hitches were not widely available the last night I installed a hitch.

*star*

horseshrink
Feb. 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
When I had my gooseneck hitch put in, they convinced me to install a turn-over ball. At that point, I didn't know any better and didn't really care if I could turn the ball over or not.

WRONG!!! Oh yeah, I have been so glad that I have the option to turn the ball over or even take it out completely to have a flat bed in the truck.

Hated to have to admit my DH was right. ;)

katarine
Feb. 28, 2012, 12:39 PM
You need to do some more homework .... gooseneck hitches and 5th wheel hitches are different beasties. You need to have the right hitch type for your trailer ... most smaller Not-Bumper-Pull horse trailers are goosenecks. You don't tend to see 5th Wheel hitches on horse trailers until you get to very large trailers.

Whether you want a turn-over ball or a hitch plate in the bed of your truck is partly a personal decision and partly a matter of what else you do with your truck. I have a removable plate for my GN - it leaves me with a clear, level bed in the truck for hauling other stuff. The 'turnover' type hitches were not widely available the last night I installed a hitch.

*star*

yep

Real Rush
Feb. 28, 2012, 12:41 PM
My truck came with the type you can take out and flip over, leaving a flat bed to put other stuff in, which I really like. But I will tell you, if you go for a long period of time without using it (as in, like, several years), it will be an absolute pain in the a$$ to get back out the first time-- I found out the hard way. Had to get a friend to crawl under the bed of my truck and bang on the ball to get it loose when I finally bought a gooseneck trailer. I think the flip-over type of hitch is a bit more expensive to purchase and install than the always-there type, but I may be wrong.

Another thing to consider-- if you like to keep the ball greased up, think about having to keep it covered so that you don't get gunk all over whatever you may toss in the back of your truck when not pulling a trailer. (like feed, hay, tack, etc.) Also speaking from experience from loading hay in someone else's truck... those darn balls always seem to be right in the way and screw up your hay stacking! :)

Watermark Farm
Feb. 28, 2012, 12:55 PM
I put a B&W turnover ball in as my gooseneck hitch. Love it! I flip it over all the time when using the truck bed for hauling hay, lumber, etc. I learned about these on COTH!

Guilherme
Feb. 28, 2012, 01:04 PM
The B&W Turnover Ball IS the Standard of the Industry.

It's U.S. made, reasonably priced, and capable of handling all but the very largest of LQ trailers. It's easy to operate and is very durable.

IMO it's the only real choice out there! :)

G.

Frost
Feb. 28, 2012, 01:14 PM
It also may depend on the age of your truck. My old truck had the plate with the ball permanently up. I just recently got a new truck and there is something about how new trucks are made (I don't remember the details) that the plate type cannot be installed. Everyone I talked to said B&W is the way to go so that is what I got and it is awesome. I love being able to have a flat bed when I am not towing. When I picked up the truck the salesman was very amused that I was way more excited about the hitch than the fancy hands-free cell phone thing. Apparently men think a woman in dress clothes and heels hopping up into the bed of the truck to inspect the hitch is funny.

Tom King
Feb. 28, 2012, 08:11 PM
B&W, but don't flip the ball. Take it out with a sock, and store in a Ziplock bag until the next use. It's much easier to clean the hole out without the ball in it, than to get the ball out with the least amount of dirt and crud around it. Keep a small plumbing round wire brush to clean the receptacle out with.

Carolinadreamin'
Feb. 28, 2012, 08:13 PM
B&W, but don't flip the ball. Take it out with a sock, and store in a Ziplock bag until the next use. It's much easier to clean the hole out without the ball in it, than to get the ball out with the least amount of dirt and crud around it. Keep a small plumbing round wire brush to clean the receptacle out with.

Thanks for the tip! We just got ours installed yesterday.

Joyrider
Feb. 28, 2012, 08:19 PM
Hi,

Just curious - I need to install a gooseneck hitch and thanks to you all will go with the B+W turnover ball! How much should I expect to pay? And...also for wiring/plug installation in the bed too?

Thanks!

J

JB
Feb. 28, 2012, 08:54 PM
Mine came installed on my truck already

It's not a flip over/remove.

I damn sure wish is was :(

katarine
Feb. 28, 2012, 09:15 PM
Hi,

Just curious - I need to install a gooseneck hitch and thanks to you all will go with the B+W turnover ball! How much should I expect to pay? And...also for wiring/plug installation in the bed too?

Thanks!

J

if you don't mind just plugging into the receptacle on the rear of the vehicle...200 or so. Want the plug in the bed? At an RV place? Try 800+.

We found a steel fabrication shop who happily installed the ball only, for 150 or so.

ChocoMare
Mar. 1, 2012, 08:18 AM
Best price anywhere on a B & W Turnover Ball is from Tweety's.com (http://tweetys.com/turnoverballhitch.aspx)

And a DITTO to taking the ball out when not in use. We spray it with a bit of WD40 and keep it in the bed's tool box.

rmh_rider
Mar. 1, 2012, 08:31 AM
Turn over ball. Hands down.

You can still use your bed of your truck. Flip the ball, and there ya go.

Bluey
Mar. 1, 2012, 08:52 AM
The B&W Turnover Ball IS the Standard of the Industry.

It's U.S. made, reasonably priced, and capable of handling all but the very largest of LQ trailers. It's easy to operate and is very durable.

IMO it's the only real choice out there! :)

G.

Right.
My 1990 pickup has a plate and ball and it is a nuisance all the time to stack stuff around it and clean the bed.

The new one has a B+W turnover and is wonderful.
The other day was hauling some furniture for a neighbor and it was so nice not to have the ball poke into the furniture.

I change mine back and forth enough I don't have to worry about it getting stuck from not being moved, but if I was going to use it only at times, I too would store it under the back seat when not in use.

Those hitches are the standard for GN hitches right now.
Mine came in the pickup, already installed.:cool:

Mtn trails
Mar. 2, 2012, 04:57 PM
Another thing to consider-- if you like to keep the ball greased up, think about having to keep it covered so that you don't get gunk all over whatever you may toss in the back of your truck when not pulling a trailer. (like feed, hay, tack, etc.)

We have a 3' x 3' chunk of stall mat that we put down over the turned over ball to keep junk out when hauling hay, hogfuel, etc. Works good.