PDA

View Full Version : Hunter/jumper experiences riding in college

collegialequestrian
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:36 AM
I am in my senior year of college and I am taking a blogging class, so of course I decided to pick a horsey theme--my experiences riding in college, which necessarily involved riding on the cheap. It's called The Collegial Equestrian (http://collegialequestrian.blogspot.com/).

I was thinking COTHers might be interested so I hope you'll stop by! I am very excited to begin exchanging ideas of how to ride on a budget with people from across the world.

Disclaimer: I've already OKed this post with a moderator--it's not considered advertising because I do not have ads or make any money off my blog.

Jumpthemoon16
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:42 AM
Very cool! I'm a Junior in HS and looking forward to what riding I can do in college. This will be a very helpful resource, thanks :)

collegialequestrian
Feb. 28, 2012, 03:28 PM
Very cool! I'm a Junior in HS and looking forward to what riding I can do in college. This will be a very helpful resource, thanks :)

Thank you for checking it out! I remember being in the same place when I was looking for colleges to apply to--I didn't apply anywhere that did not have an equestrian club or team. Future post idea!

Trilogy48
Feb. 28, 2012, 06:04 PM
I have been on UCF's IHSA team for the past four years. Feel free to PM if you need any more material! :) Your blog looks great!

supershorty628
Feb. 28, 2012, 06:11 PM
I was on U of M Twin Cities' English team as a freshman and have several funny stories if you want any material. Also, jumpthemoon, if you have any questions about IHSA, I would be more than happy to answer them. I did open flat and fences and went to nationals for the Cacchione Cup, so I've been around :).

hequestrian
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:16 PM
I just read your blog and actually referred to it in my post on my blog today :)

I did have a quick question for you-
When you talk about free leases in your blog do you mean a free lease where you would pay all expenses for horse and get to use said horse without an additional lease fee? Or do you mean a horse that someone else continues to take care of but lets you ride?

I have always thought of a free lease as a horse that I would be allowed to use "for free" without a lease fee but I would be responsible for said horses care (i.e. board, vet, farrier) although every case is different.

Sorry I guess that there are instances in your blog where I can't figure out in which way you are referring to a "free lease".

Love the blog though and I look forward to keeping up with it.

collegialequestrian
Feb. 29, 2012, 12:35 PM
I just read your blog and actually referred to it in my post on my blog today :)

I did have a quick question for you-
When you talk about free leases in your blog do you mean a free lease where you would pay all expenses for horse and get to use said horse without an additional lease fee? Or do you mean a horse that someone else continues to take care of but lets you ride?

I have always thought of a free lease as a horse that I would be allowed to use "for free" without a lease fee but I would be responsible for said horses care (i.e. board, vet, farrier) although every case is different.

Sorry I guess that there are instances in your blog where I can't figure out in which way you are referring to a "free lease".

My experience with free leases has been riding and caring for someone else's horse but with no financial exchange--that is, the owner pays all the expenses and I did the riding, showing, care, etc.

So that's what I mean when I say "free lease," though admittedly I never had to go do feedings or stuff like that every day because the owners I rode for had full board for their horses.

USETSomeday
Mar. 1, 2012, 06:51 PM
I have been not only a member of, but an officer for both the Hunt Seat and Western IHSA teams at the University of Pittsburgh for the past four years. If you need any insight on what that's been like, or what the IHSA does for the disciplines, feel free to send me an email.

Rel6
Mar. 2, 2012, 12:18 AM
Count me in if you need more material! I'm a junior Open/Open rider for the SUNY Geneseo Equestrian Team.

We're a SUNY school in what might be one of *the* most competitive zones in the country, and we hold our own ;)

ohandthesmokes
Mar. 2, 2012, 05:57 PM
I greatly enjoy your blog, I relate to so much of it, hahah! I'm in my second year on the IHSA team at the Savannah College of Art and Design and it's some of the most fun I've ever had while riding, so if you need any more material let me know :)

Tha Ridge
Mar. 2, 2012, 06:34 PM
Cool idea, and I think it will be useful to a lot of folks considering how many questions we get around here. :) I rode on an NCAA team on scholarship all four years and am happy to share my experiences as well.

TB7
Mar. 2, 2012, 06:58 PM
Count me in if you need more material! I'm a junior Open/Open rider for the SUNY Geneseo Equestrian Team.

We're a SUNY school in what might be one of *the* most competitive zones in the country, and we hold our own ;)

I was in your region when I did IHSA in college.

Rel6 tells no lies, region 2 is competitive as hell! Our college was in it for fun and as such was looked down upon by many other teams. OMG THE DRAMA.

collegialequestrian
Mar. 3, 2012, 11:44 PM
Thanks everyone! I have a couple IHSA guest bloggers on deck but I'll keep your names in mind for down the road...

collegialequestrian
Mar. 4, 2012, 04:34 PM
New post on choosing a college is up!
http://collegialequestrian.blogspot.com/2012/03/choosing-college.html

I'd be really interested to see how you IHSA-ers and NCAA-ers chose the school you would ride at in the comments.

vegetabler
Mar. 4, 2012, 05:01 PM
I'm a senior in university also, and really enjoy the blog so far!

If you having questions on riding at a university outside the US, I'd be happy to share my experiences riding OUEA (http://www.ouea.ca/). We're a smaller circuit in eastern Canada modeled after the IHSA.

Electrikk
Mar. 8, 2012, 10:16 PM
I love your blog! I'm a senior in high school, and it's been crazy trying to sort out exactly what I want to do with riding in college... every school seems to have a bajillion different ways to go about things.

LeandraB
Mar. 8, 2012, 10:26 PM
Collegial do you go to UMD???

I'm involved with both the club and the IHSA team there and would love to chat with you! send me a PM :)