PDA

View Full Version : Bit Suggestions?

Gnomeland
Feb. 27, 2012, 10:27 PM
So I am at a dead end as to what kind of bit to get my horse. I've tried him in a ton of different things, but I haven't found THE one yet. He likes to get strong/heavy and just braces against your hands sometimes. He's not a huge fan of waterfords and I need something that is legal in the hunter/EQ ring. Right now he is in a segunda but I don't really like him in that because he gets kinda stiff an just braces and is generally unhappy. The thing he has gone best in so far is this rubber bit with a really small port and a chain but I cannot find it anywhere and the one he has using was really too small. I want the least harsh bit possible to get the job done. Any links would be awesome! He loves copper and I was thinking something with a piece that rolls would be good too so that he can become softer in the mouth? (i've tried a d-ring with copper rollers)

Thanks!

PNWjumper
Feb. 28, 2012, 12:08 AM
My favorite bit on my somewhat downhill, luggy mare is a myler (my go-to is MB43LP - the low port d-ring with hooks). It is a soft bit, but she doesn't lay on it like she does in many other bits. That would give you the small port and copper inlay. You'd want to go hookless, but it might be close to what you want.

My gelding (sensitive TB) goes best at home in my 2-ring happy mouth bit. He's also a bit downhill and can lean and pull with the best of them. At shows where I need more bit I go to a gag (in his case a slow twist gag because milder mouthpieces gave me nuthin'). So if you have a bit you like, but he can still lean a bit, it might be worth trying the same bit in a gag version. You wouldn't show in a gag, of course, but it might be a good schooling bit that would transition into the show ring.

Those would be my first two attempts on a new horse, but it really depends on how you horse lugs (out, down, while curling, etc.). I've used other bits and bridles (mikmar, miklem bridle, hackabit, hackamore) with great success, but always after I'd tried the other two. And none of those work in the hunter/eq ring.

Sorry, I tend to think in jumper terms :lol:

Hawks Nest
Feb. 28, 2012, 12:25 AM
you might want to try a mikmar (they come with hunter legal cheek pieces). The mouth piece is actually very soft but it is a very different feel in their mouths. My girl had an opposite problem (but most reviewers say it works for heavy horses) and within a few rides she could go in a snaffle again although she still does some of her work in the mikmar. Myler would also work since they are so thin a horse wouldn't want to lean on them.

Gnomeland
Feb. 28, 2012, 07:02 AM
Thanks! Any specific myler I should try?

Gnomeland
Mar. 1, 2012, 09:41 PM
Any other suggestions? I'm super desperate. :lol:

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 1, 2012, 10:33 PM
I'm a huge fan of happy mouth bits.. I'd look around and see if there's any models you might like to try. When I first got my horse I was riding him in a metal loose ring, and he braced against my hands. Switched him to a happy mouth loose ring with a roller in the middle.. now he doesn't lean or pull, and he seems to like it. :)
Maybe you can also try some kind of snaffle with one copper roller in the middle?
I'm on the "less is more" boat, so if it were me, I'd toy around with different snaffles and more conventional bits, because a lot of what's been suggested wouldn't work in the hunter ring.

Gnomeland
Mar. 2, 2012, 06:15 AM
Thanks! Do you have a link to the bit you're using?

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 2, 2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks! Do you have a link to the bit you're using?

I school in this (http://www.smartpakequine.com/happy-mouth-double-jointed-roller-loose-ring-4748p.aspx?cm_vc=Search) and show in the same thing, just with a dee ring (makes no difference in how he goes, just that I like the look of dee's in the hunter ring). :)

ifiwereyou
Mar. 2, 2012, 02:41 PM
My favorite is the Mikmars as well... I like the cupreon french link/lozenge for most horses.

http://www.mikmar.com/bit-pages/D-ring-cupreonbit.html

alterhorse
Mar. 2, 2012, 03:26 PM
There are also cherry roller bits that have a similar "texture" as a waterford, but built as a jointed snaffle. It wouldn't be the same as a waterford, but trying one might help you narrow down why your horse likes the waterford. Is it something about the flexibility, or the way it feels in his mouth?

Gnomeland
Mar. 2, 2012, 03:42 PM
There are also cherry roller bits that have a similar "texture" as a waterford, but built as a jointed snaffle. It wouldn't be the same as a waterford, but trying one might help you narrow down why your horse likes the waterford. Is it something about the flexibility, or the way it feels in his mouth?

Sounds interesting...do you know where they sell them/could you provide a link?

Does anyone want to lend me their bits?! :lol: I think I've spent $200+ trying to find a good one. Hah!

FLeventer
Mar. 2, 2012, 04:38 PM
This is a cherry roller mouthpiece. I personally like it over a waterford in some situations. I cannot find one with D cheeks though.

http://www.horseloverz.com/1/coronet_loose_ring_cherry_roller_bit_horse_1121564 71.php

Gnomeland
Mar. 3, 2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks!

howardh
Mar. 3, 2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks! Any specific myler I should try?

Myler D 89-21335 or 89-21435 or 89-21365

All are options. The 5 at the end means 5 inch they come in other sizes

Go to a store that lets you rent them first

JustThatSimple
Mar. 3, 2012, 07:33 PM
I too have most of my hunters going in a french link happy mouth- loose ring at home, dee ring for shows.

I also love the kk ultra snaffles, french link- loose ring at home, dee ring for the ring.

Is the segunda you are using fixed of broken? I love the broken segunda for horses that tend to get a bit heavy and find their less likely to brace with the broken vs the solid segunda with a soft hand.

Gnomeland
Mar. 3, 2012, 07:50 PM
It's a broken segunda. :)

Gnomeland
Mar. 5, 2012, 04:20 PM
I'm thinking about trying this: http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/happy-mouth-double-jointed-roller-dee-4751p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

Most reviews say its good for a horse with a soft mouth though. I'm working on getting him to have a softer mouth from a "not so gentle" past but he is definitely in the harder mouth department atm. Do you think it won't be enough bit?

salymandar
Mar. 5, 2012, 05:34 PM
OP,

I use the happy mouth bit you are considering on a horse with a soft mouth and he loves it. But if he wants to pull ... I up to slow twist dr. bristol. I school in an elevator with that happy mouth piece and it really helps keep him sharp so I can show in the snaffle.

I second howardh's suggestions. I would also suggest a low port twist with a copper center piece from Myler. I am not sure if the copper piece rolled, but it was really nice for a big horse that liked to be a bit luggy. I haven't seen it widely available, but if you contact Myler, you might be able to get it made.

Gnomeland
Mar. 6, 2012, 04:48 PM
Thank you for the suggestion! I'll look into it. :)

gubbyz
Mar. 6, 2012, 05:19 PM
Mikmar. Best bit I ever had, and I had them all for my big TB that loved to pull! I showed him in the hunters and eq in the Mikmar pelham and never had to use the curb rein. He loved that bit and we did very well at the big shows with it! Even won the hacks in it.

Gnomeland
Mar. 6, 2012, 06:02 PM
Which mikmar did you use?