PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for good Field Boots

horse_rubber
Feb. 27, 2012, 10:51 PM
So I'm in the market for new field boots as my old ones no longer fit. I've been looking at the Tredstep's and the new Veredus ones, and was wondering what other peoples opinions on them would be? Any reviews of either would be most helpful.

oxLetsGoCanterxo
Feb. 27, 2012, 11:51 PM
I can't even express how much I recommend Ariat. I have the heritage select's...and I LOVE them. I have been showing in them for a year and they still look brand new. Not to mention they broke in completely after just one or two rides. The leather is gorgeous and with some leather cleaner and boot shine, they look 100000x more expensive and higher-end than they really are. My friend has Tredstep's and she really likes them, but if I had to choose, go with Ariat :)

kark22
Feb. 28, 2012, 01:13 AM
Parlantis are the best. They are very good quality and worth the investment. They look great and last a very long time if you take care of them. I got mine for about $900 of the rack not custom. Even though they are expensive they are so worth the splurge becuase they last about 3x longer than other boots that cost less. In the end you are spending less money. I use my parlantis to show and school and they have lasted 3 years already and still not worn down. I got my Parlanti's at WEF but i think you can order online. Good luck in your search!

JohnGalt
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:11 PM
For what it's worth, they're expensive but I have 4 pair of Vogel boots - at different points in their life cycles. The oldest is about 26 or 28 years old and yes, they get worn often. The old pair have been re-soled and patched but they just keep going. I have a pair of Ariat paddock boots and they broke in immediately but fell apart within about 18 months of regular wear. Can't speak for the tall boots from personal experience but it seems that if you go the zip route, the zippers fail fairly often. Hope this helps.

kmwines01
Feb. 29, 2012, 02:17 AM
I got the Mountain Horse Supremes and love them. Super super comfy. They're really soft in the calf so can get a bit crinkly looking. But they broke in very quickly. I have an older pair of Ariat pull ons that I love ( I think they're old Challengers) but they got way too big in the calf/ankle. My other newer Ariats have had both zippers separate. I didn't take the best care of them but only got about 2-3 years of solid use out of them. One zipper busted about 1 year after i owned them and the other about 4 years after (I didnt ride much in college so they didn't have much stress). Other than the zippers they were great.

ElementFarm
Feb. 29, 2012, 10:45 AM
I haven't yet found a pair of Ariat Field boots that actually fit me correctly. They seem to be too tall, or too big in the ankle. While I'd LOVE a pair of Vogels, I just couldn't justify that expense. A good compromise for me was the Sergio Grassos. They have SO many options that you can find a custom-fitting boot without the wait or pricetag for customs. And the leather is SO soft and the boots break in within a ride or three. I love mine, and can't recommend them enough.

horsegal301
Feb. 29, 2012, 01:15 PM
DeNiros. Great Quality, basically semi-custom for an affordable price, and look fabulous. Plus they have vibram soles which I <3 !

horse_rubber
Feb. 29, 2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the imput! Any other suggestions? I'm having trouble with the calf as my one calf is larger than the other. I'm leery of getting ones with any gussets near the zippers because I don't want the zippers to break. I'm also not sure about customs for the same reason. I don't want to order them and they not fit by the time I get them.

ChagrinSaddlery
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:16 AM
Tredstep or Treadstone. By far the best bang for your buck without compromising style or comfort. I own a tack shop, have researched many boots and cannot keep either of those two brands in stock. Hope this helps.

horsegal301
Mar. 1, 2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the imput! Any other suggestions? I'm having trouble with the calf as my one calf is larger than the other. I'm leery of getting ones with any gussets near the zippers because I don't want the zippers to break. I'm also not sure about customs for the same reason. I don't want to order them and they not fit by the time I get them.

Touching on this, as I have very short, very muscular legs, and my right calf is much bigger than the left. They take a bit more work to get on and feel tight at first, but never tight enough to the point where it feels like they'll break. The zippers are heavy duty as well. Also, SmartPak carries them so if they break or you don't like them, you can return them for free.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/297222_542873805290_90900895_31079234_505665747_n. jpg terrible pic, I know, they just look super stubby here because that's what I am!

ShaSamour
Mar. 1, 2012, 01:36 PM
DeNiros. Great Quality, basically semi-custom for an affordable price, and look fabulous. Plus they have vibram soles which I <3 !

^^This. I have the DeNiro Ottaviano's. The leather is beautiful, the workmanship is fabulous, and they couldn't fit better if they were full custom. They have so many sizing options (calf width, height, etc.). The folks at SmartPak were great to work with and have no problem with returns or exchanges.