PDA

View Full Version : I made the very difficult decision today

Gali's girl
Feb. 27, 2012, 07:05 PM
To quit the gym so I can ride 5 days a week instead of just on the weekend! My goal is to move up to the meters this summer, and that's just not gonna happen on 2 rides a week. Starting tomorrow, I'm going to be riding Tuesday-Thursday and Saturday-Sunday! I'm sooo excited, I can hardly stand it! I work full-time and just always assumed I'd never be able to make it up to the barn after work, but my trainer said she has no problem with me coming up late and riding under the lights.

Yeah for more pony-time! :winkgrin:

Gali's girl
Feb. 27, 2012, 07:08 PM
I will be attempting to work out on my own in the mornings before work, so hopefully between that and the extra rides I won't become even more reminiscent of the Michelin Man!

showidaho
Feb. 27, 2012, 07:08 PM
Just for fun...:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ESeEZD_OY

Hunter Mom
Feb. 27, 2012, 07:52 PM
My employer counts riding as a "wellness activity". Just like someone who works out with a trainer at the gym, my trainer signs off that I ride regularly and they accept it not save me $$ on my health insurance.

Gali's girl
Feb. 27, 2012, 10:49 PM
Just for fun...:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ESeEZD_OY

LOL, I love you for posting that! So freaking hilarious :D

@HunterMom, I'll have to look into whether my work does anything like that. It sounds really neat!

TheHorseProblem
Feb. 27, 2012, 11:48 PM
My employer counts riding as a "wellness activity". Just like someone who works out with a trainer at the gym, my trainer signs off that I ride regularly and they accept it not save me $$ on my health insurance.

That might have worked out for me until the concussion, and the CAT scan, and the 'nother CAT scan, and the dislocated shoulder, and the PT, and the more PT...

Hunter Mom
Feb. 28, 2012, 08:52 AM
Gali's Girl - we have to do either regular exercise or an "approved" activity (such as a 5K walk, etc.) twice quarterly, and turn in documentation for it. The other option is pay an extra $90 a month in insurance premiums. Blech. Ask the person who handles your insurance if there is a discount for participating in wellness activities.

Tivas_a_Diva
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:43 AM
Someone posted this on another thread (if I could find the post or remember the poster I would give credit where credit is due!)-

If you have a netflix account there are some workout videos that you can view through your computer. Or maybe try looking up some workout routines on you tube? As a working-full-timer myself, it is hard to fit in having a job, riding, AND going to the gym XX amount of days a week. I ride after work and do the pilates tapes on netflix when I get home. Just a suggestion!

Rhody Ram
Feb. 28, 2012, 02:41 PM
Once you get into the routine of waking up impossibly early, going to the gym before work is not so bad. I wake up between 5 and 5:30 to go to the gym, I work out for 30-60 min, shower and get ready there, work 8-4, and then I ride almost every day. I have 2 horses, and I feed 8 horses AM/PM on weekends and PM on Mondays. It's tough but it works.

As far as home workout videos, there are plenty of good ones online. I would recommend any of the Jillian Michaels DVDs, especially 30 Day Shred.

kchfuller
Feb. 28, 2012, 06:25 PM
woo hoo! More riding= better then the gym!

Gali's girl
Feb. 28, 2012, 07:30 PM
@HunterMom, I'm at work right now so I'll def IM our benefits guy.

@Tivas I have Netflix so I'll look into that. I'm also having the bf set up my wii fit so I can do that in the mornings. Half-asleep hula hooping anyone? :P

@Rhody I physically can't get out of bed that early. The only time I can do that is for a horse show, and it's definitely not a pretty site! My trainer had to throw multiple pillows at me last summer to wake me up for a 6am schooling...