PDA

View Full Version : Schooling helmet for a round head

molly8it
Feb. 27, 2012, 05:05 PM
I finally admitted to myself that my every-day schooling helmet, an Ovation Protege, just doesn't fit right. It's definitely made for an oval head, and mine is round. Like Charlie Brown round. Any other round-headed folks out there who can recommend an under-$200 schooling helmet?

azdreamride
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:21 AM
Don't really know what shape my head is--I'm thinking it is more round than anything...and I LOVE my Tipperary Sportage--fits perfectly and my head feels super secure in it----it is not the prettiest helmet in the world, but lovely for schooling, I forget it is even on-- and in the summers' here in AZ it stays pretty cool.

I would definitely get another one for schooling when the time comes.

HTH

molly8it
Feb. 28, 2012, 12:17 PM
thanks -- that was on my "short list", but some of the reviews raved about how well it fits an oval head -- I ordered that and the Troxel Legacy Gold Duratec. Since SmartPak has free return shipping, it'll be easy to just send back the one I don't like.

FLeventer
Feb. 28, 2012, 12:20 PM
I love my ovation schooler. I have gotten tons of comments on it and it was under $60 shipped to me. Super cool, removable lining so it does not get smelly, and looks better then any helmet at that price range. Has a dial fit, which I usually hate, but it feels like a normal fitted helmet.

Nomad
Mar. 2, 2012, 12:45 PM
I super-second the Tipperary Sportage. I have an awful time finding helmets that fit my small, round head (!) and have both their regular helmet and the skull cap and LOVE them. The ventilation is awesome to boot. And inexpensive! :)

They do seem to run a bit large on me, FWIW.

apugirl
Mar. 2, 2012, 09:59 PM
I would really recommend going to a good tack shop and having one fitted to you. It is the best way to get a good fitting helmet. It is amazing how many people do not fit helmets to their heads properly, which can make wearing one in the first place totally pointless. Most people wear the helmet too loose and in the proper position so a good tack shop can find one that works for you in your budget as well as make sure that you know how to properly wear it.

kcooper
Mar. 3, 2012, 12:41 PM
with a round head. About three years ago, I spent several hours at Equine Affaire going around to different booths and trying helmets. The ONLY one that fit me safely was a Charles Owen. Not all of their lasts are round - most are oval. But they do actually make some models for a round head. I use their skull cap for schooling and it fits great. The only helmets I have been able to wear that fit all the way around my head and don't slide down over my eyes over fences (I also do not have the cleft at the back of the skull where the harness is designed to anchor). Spend the time finding one that fits -- not only is it safer, it's WAY more comfortable!

collegialequestrian
Mar. 3, 2012, 10:05 PM
I also have a round head and after 30 minutes of trying on the Charles Owens that my trainer recommended at the Dover store, I bought the Troxel Grand Prix Classic which fits much better. I know you said "schooling helmet" but it's only $99. It feels a little snug when you first put it on because of all the padding inside, but after a few minutes you get used to it.

I feel like I don't sweat as much in it, but it does have a removable liner so it always stays fresh.

molly8it
Mar. 5, 2012, 04:27 PM
I would really recommend going to a good tack shop and having one fitted to you. It is the best way to get a good fitting helmet. It is amazing how many people do not fit helmets to their heads properly, which can make wearing one in the first place totally pointless. Most people wear the helmet too loose and in the proper position so a good tack shop can find one that works for you in your budget as well as make sure that you know how to properly wear it.

Sadly, where I live, what tack shops we have cater more to Western riders. The helmet selection is EXTREMELY limited. Big felt hat -- no problem! Lots of helmets to try on ... not so much. Thank you, SmartPak, for free shipping both ways -- can order several & try on.

lucky_jump253
Mar. 5, 2012, 07:49 PM
IRH. I have an Elite Extreme which isn't really a schooling helmet but is amazingly comfortable and only $154.95 at Smartpak. It fits my round head really well and looks good! I would maybe try this helmet if you want a true schooling helmet.
[URL="http://www.smartpakequine.com/irh-equilite-helmet-1752p.aspx?cm_vc=Search"]

ChocoMare
Mar. 6, 2012, 12:14 PM
Try a LamiCell... seriously, in the 25+ years of helmet wearing, most comfortable thing I've ever strapped on my skull. Great for the round head!

Jaideux
Mar. 6, 2012, 12:30 PM
I'm pretty sure my head qualifies as round. IRH was the best choice for me (the one that looks like the original GPAs).

Gloria
Mar. 6, 2012, 03:17 PM
If your head is as round as mine, try this: http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=ER90302.

I have a very very round head, and have tried just about all helmets under $400, from Troxel, Tipperary, to charles Owen to GPA. Tipperary will not even come close to fitting you. It pinches my temples horrid while I can stick two fingers into the helmet at my forehead. Charles Owen is a bit better, followed by Troxel and GAP. But eventually the ovation in the link is the one that works for me. By the way, other Ovations does not work either....

molly8it
Mar. 6, 2012, 03:25 PM
If your head is as round as mine, try this: http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=ER90302.

I have a very very round head, and have tried just about all helmets under $400, from Troxel, Tipperary, to charles Owen to GPA. Tipperary will not even come close to fitting you. It pinches my temples horrid while I can stick two fingers into the helmet at my forehead. Charles Owen is a bit better, followed by Troxel and GAP. But eventually the ovation in the link is the one that works for me. By the way, other Ovations does not work either....

Great suggestions. And now I want the Ovation just so I can get the crazy flowered helmet cover ...

molly8it
Mar. 7, 2012, 12:13 PM
The Troxel & Tipperary arrived yesterday. The Troxel was just terrible -- it fit around my head fine but sat up high like I had on an extra head. Yuk.

The Tipperary felt good as soon as I put it on, and it has different size pads to adjust it better. I was worried that the lower back would interfere with the pony tail (I know -- bad hunter princess, BAD -- I don't school with a hair net!:eek:) but it's much better than the Ovation I had. It's also nice and light with big vents. Yay.